PDA

View Full Version : Orange Juice

shadowlp06
08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
I know this site talks alot about carbonated beverages but I picked up some "Simply Orange" orange juice the other day and it was awesome! I swear I was drinking the juice right from the fruit itself! Anyways, anyone want to weigh in on the best OJ around?

ZedFlummox
08-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Not to get off topic right away, but I'm a big fan of the Simply Limeade. It is awesome.

The Simply Lemonade curiously was pretty disappointing. Too sweet.

fusion
08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
I like pulp in my orange juice, and I like the grove made Simply Orange.

I also like the Simply Limeade - it mixes well with other drinks. I made my own cherry limeade by mixing it and some Amita sour cherry juice (from Greece).

Juice, Sour Cherry 1lt Amita: Minos Imported Foods (http://www.minosimports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ascj1&Category_Code=amt&Store_Code=MIF)

Mr Zabe
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I like Tropicana Premium orange juice in the
14oz plastic bottle. I don't drink OJ that often so
the 14 oz bottle provides for a nice fresh serving.

SamC
08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
BTW, Simply Orange is the premium version of Minute Maid. Minute Maid = Coca-Cola.

ZedFlummox
08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Really? I had no idea. And here I thought it was some smaller company with a very good product.

Oh well. The limeade is good enough where I'll definitely continue to buy. I'll have to try the OJ, as I haven't yet.

Dr. Galaga
08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Does Orange Julius count? :)

fusion
08-24-2007, 11:56 PM
The dead giveaway is the UPC code, the first five digits are 25000, which is Minute Maid.

They announced the other day they're doing a Simply Apple and a Simply Grapefruit as well.

reset man
08-25-2007, 02:03 PM
For a single-serve OJ that doesn't have to be stored refridgerated, Nantucket Nectars is tops for me!!

MATHA531
08-26-2007, 06:36 AM
All I ever ask of my orange juice is that ibe be pure not fron concentrate where it is diluted by the addition of water - how some orange juice is packaged as pure from concentrate escapes me.

fusion
08-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Diluted? As far as I can tell, they're adding the water back in that they took out during the concentration process. Like what you do when you buy that frozen tube of orange juice and add water to it.

Mr Zabe
08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
I beleive the orange juice concentrate is reconstituted.
The popular brands of OJ (Minute Maid,Tropicana ect)
have very strict quality control measures.

SamC
08-27-2007, 07:06 AM
"Regular" orange juice, such as Tropicana, Donald Duck, or Minute Maid, has the water removed in the area of production and is then shipped in a frozen concentrated form, thus saving shipping costs and allowing the water to be reused for irrigation. It is then reconsitituted near the point of sale with filtered water. The resulting product is certainly "pure".

"Premium" orange juice, such as Tropicana Pure Premium, Simply Orange or Florida's Natural, is shipped from Florida chilled. The "premium" is the shipping cost.

Mr Zabe
08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Of course goes unsaid (but I will say it LOL).
There is nothing that tastes finer than freshly squeezed Florida
juice oranges.