PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coke Zero... in danger :(

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Here in Mexico, Coca-Cola Zero is in real danger, today a national newspaper El Universal released a note, where advices that mexican Coke Zero contains Sodium Cyclamate, that is forbidden by the FDA in U.S. and that "may produce cancer"... unfortunately this note has been published in local newspapers too and this note is the No. 2 of the most popular notes of the website of El Universal...

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx

:( I hope they don't discontinue it!

mjb1124
08-28-2007, 03:17 AM
What would US laws have to do with a product sold in Mexico? Honestly, from what I've gathered, I don't think cyclamate is any more dangerous than aspartame or sucralose. And if worse comes to worse, they could just use the US formulation.

popologist
08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
why are they using cyclamates anyway?!? why not just use the same formula as the US?

also, yes, cyclamates are banned in the US, but they're legal in canada. from what i understand, the studies that suggested cyclamates caused cancer were flawed. but, for some reason, they were never de-classified in the US.

ps--how much you wanna bet that pepsi is somehow behind the funding for the group that's attacking coke zero... ;)

Mr Zabe
08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey LOL
Didn't Pepsi recently return to Coca Cola
a stolen package that contained a confidential
product development project? I beleive Pepsi
said that (the package was not opened) they
would rather compete fairly than resort to
using criminal techniques to succeed in business. LOL

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-28-2007, 06:27 PM
ps--how much you wanna bet that pepsi is somehow behind the funding for the group that's attacking coke zero... ;)

In a radio news program here, the Coca-Cola spokesperson thought the same way too during an interview... cause Pepsi Max isn't having the same success as Coke Zero.

The only thing that I'm afraid is not that Coke Zero has cyclamates, what I'm afraid is that people would believe the note and they would stop buying Coke zero, and if they stop buying Coke Zero, the bottles would discontinue it...

At least there's still the recently released zero versions of Fanta, Sprite, Lift and Fresca, that doesn't have any amount of cyclamates, but there's the risk that people would be scared of drink them too only because they would link the "zero" name with cyclamates... :(

No Soda
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
I guess the use of cyclamates is why we don't see Mexican Diet Coke, er Coke Light in the US.

I'd like to try a soda with cyclamates. I've been told that you could not tell the difference from a soda sweentened with sugar.

I don't think you have much to worry about..I think the fears about cyclamates are unfounded.

Mr Zabe
08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
I guess the use of cyclamates is why we don't see Mexican Diet Coke, er Coke Light in the US.

I'd like to try a soda with cyclamates. I've been told that you could not tell the difference from a soda sweentened with sugar.

I don't think you have much to worry about..I think the fears about cyclamates are unfounded.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I recall when TAB first rolled out that it was
sweetened with cyclametes. I do know my Mom drank TAB when it first came
out. YECK

popologist
08-30-2007, 03:03 PM
this was STUPID, STUPID, STUPID for coca-cola to use a banned (US) sweetener in mexico. just when coca-cola's PR reputation was improving, they do something dumb like this.

they need to CHANGE the formula immediately... and don't even try to defend it. the sooner they end this story, the better.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-02-2007, 01:57 AM

Nnnope... Coca-Cola Light doesn't have cyclamates, it only has aspartame and ace-k, Coca-Cola Zero is the only drink in Mexico with cyclamates...

Fortunately, all the cyclamate controversy didn't affected the sales of Coke Zero, at the food court of a mall here I saw several people drinking Coke Zero, and in the supermarket is selling well... plus at some newspapers in Mexico, a note says that Secretaria de Salud (Secretary of Health, the mexican equivalent of the FDA) and COFEPRIS (Federal Commision for Protection against Sanitary Risks) approved the use of cyclamates in June of 2006, cause it doesn't produce any risk...

Android
09-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey Ram0n, I can't remember if you've said it before, but have you done a taste comparison between the US CZ formula and the Mexi-CZ? How much, if any, difference is there between the two, tastewise?
-Andy

popologist
09-02-2007, 08:47 AM
i still think it's a bad PR move by coca-cola. it makes it seem like they're willing to sell a dangerous product to mexicans that they won't sell to americans (even if that's not true). i think they should just sell the same formula both places... to remove any doubt.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey Ram0n, I can't remember if you've said it before, but have you done a taste comparison between the US CZ formula and the Mexi-CZ? How much, if any, difference is there between the two, tastewise?
-Andy

True!, IMO the mexican Coca-Cola Zero tastes very similar to the american one, although the mexican one is a little bit sweeter than the american one, but tastes less sweet and less chemical than the mexican Coca-Cola Light...