PDA

View Full Version : Coke Blak discontinued...

popologist
08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/08-31-2007-Blak_coca-cola.asp

it's no mystery why this failed. it was WAY over-priced and it tasted like crap. hard to believe they spent 2 years developing this. what a waste!

Tannerman
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
It will not be missed. The odd mixture of flavors from the aspartame, Ace-K, and Coke (http://www.bevreview.com/2006/04/13/review-coca-cola-blak/) alone were enough to kill the drink. But then you figure out the insane pricing that Coke saddled it with. It was doomed from the start.

You would have thought they would have learned from the previous cola/coffee phase.

DGibb
08-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Good riddance to bad beverages. Coke Blak, you will not be missed.

jmyjunk
08-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Coke Blak *might* of worked if they used purely sugar. They did not, and went for some bizard blend. It tasted odd, and for most american palates, it just wasn't good.

hightyto
08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
good, hated it, tasted horrible.

fusion
08-31-2007, 09:26 PM
No surprises here! I predicted it would win design awards, but fail with the public.. turns out I was right, for once, lol.

popologist
09-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Coke Blak *might* of worked if they used purely sugar. They did not, and went for some bizard blend. It tasted odd, and for most american palates, it just wasn't good.

yeah. the taste was "odd". i think that if they had made it with sugar, and creamy... it might've worked. also, the premium pricing was just too high... especially when there were better-tasting options out there.

hightyto
09-01-2007, 11:37 PM
wow we got a tough crowd over here lol, yea good move though coke.

SamC
09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Tasted like crap. Priced unreasonabably.

BluejacketT
09-04-2007, 01:38 PM
One of the worst cokes there is.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Actually I was going to ask how was it doing... now I know...

IMO it was good and the taste was great, I still keep the empty bottle as a part of my collection in my room... but as everybody said here, the mix of small size, weird taste and high price made this product fail... for instance here in Mexico, Pepsi Kaffe, the coffee-flavored version of Pepsi is now discontinued too, was too expensive and the size was small too (310 ml) and the Spacio Leve line from Coca-Cola too, and it's on the way of being discontinued and is now replaced by the new zero versions of Fanta, Sprite, Fresca and Lift...

Kevin Dupuy
09-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I, for one, will miss Coke BlaK... it tasted great to me... I agree that it was over priced for who it was aimed at..

I think Coke should have never put that product on grocery shelves, it belonged in coffee shops where $2 for a bottle was reasonable pricing, and where there was much more of a market for it.

So, I am going to miss BlaK, and regret the fact that poor managing of the product caused it to fail.

popologist
09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I, for one, will miss Coke BlaK... it tasted great to me... I agree that it was over priced for who it was aimed at..

I think Coke should have never put that product on grocery shelves, it belonged in coffee shops where $2 for a bottle was reasonable pricing, and where there was much more of a market for it.

So, I am going to miss BlaK, and regret the fact that poor managing of the product caused it to fail.

i agree that it would've had a better chance if it were sold in starbucks. but i believe that starbucks sales pepsi's coffee product.

Mr Zabe
09-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I do not think Coke Blak would have sold well at Starbucks.
People who are addicted to Starbucks coffee drinks IMO
would not find Coke Blak appealing. Coke Blak IMO misses
the mark with it's design of being a coffee drink and
or a quasi coffee soda pop.

amyers
09-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Well, Coke is trying this now with the new RTD Caribu Coffee drinks. Coke sells Caribu, Pepsi sells Starbucks.

CStoreCatMan
09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Well, Coke is trying this now with the new RTD Caribu Coffee drinks. Coke sells Caribu, Pepsi sells Starbucks.

Yep, once again Coke takes a stab at the coffee market. In SoCal, we've never even heard of the Caribou brand name...is it well known in other parts of the country? I hope so or Coke will have yet another coffee product flop...

Mr Zabe
09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
We have Caribou Coffee Shops here in the Chicago area.
Caribou is nearly a complete copy of Starbucks.

CStoreCatMan
09-14-2007, 03:58 PM
We have Caribou Coffee Shops here in the Chicago area.
Caribou is nearly a complete copy of Starbucks.

Hey Zabe! How do you mean its nearly a complete copy of Starbucks? Maybe the Caribou brand will sell where people are familiar with it...like there in Chicago. I don't see an avid Starbucks/Frappuccino drinker switching...

Mr Zabe
09-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey Zabe! How do you mean its nearly a complete copy of Starbucks? Maybe the Caribou brand will sell where people are familiar with it...like there in Chicago. I don't see an avid Starbucks/Frappuccino drinker switching...
Ok.....
If you were to walk into a Caribou store blind folded and lead to
the order counter; placed an order for your favorite coffee,
sipped your coffee.....you would pretty much think you were
having a Starbucks coffee.

The Caribou store has nearly the same quality and selection of
Starbucks coffee drinks. Like NY and LA, Chicago has coffee shops
on just about every city block. Starbucks has some competion at
least in the city.

fusion
09-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't know how any coffee could be as bitter as Starbucks. Are you sure they are the same, Zabe?

Mr Zabe
09-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Fusion,
Good point. Caribou is very much like Starbucks. It's bitter and by no means
like an average cup of joe. I'm pretty sure that they roast the heck
out their coffee beans. A few years back I got an iced coffee, even after I
sweetened it up like I would a Starbucks IC, it was wicked. LOL

My Dad who is a Starbucks drinker says that Caribou coffee tastes
stronger than Starbucks. Who knows????

the saint
09-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I personally do not think that frappuccinos 98% share is in much danger, no matter what coke tries to throw at it. PBG/Pepsico along with Starbucks have spent to much time and money developing the brand for it to be knocked down by another attempt from coke to compete with it. It is too much of a cash cow and PBG would simply lower the price for awhile to crush whatever competition there ends up being.

fusion
09-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I think that most of Coke's failure in the RTD coffee market is putting unrecognizable brands out there.

Planet Java.. no name recognition at all.
Godiva - brand name, but associated with chocolate, not coffee.

Caribou is a name that is associated with coffee, but only in areas where they have shops. The closest one to me is north of Baltimore, MD (i was actually there on Wednesday, checking to see if they were carrying the RTD drinks, but they weren't).

Other coffee drinks struggled/failed due to poor distribution and/or poor graphic design. those Havana drinks look cheesy, and the other drinks I have seen looked good, but they were hard to find.

Then you have that whole issue with the defective self-heating cans.. Wolfgang Puck couldn't have been happy about them!

tomyear2134
09-14-2007, 10:52 PM
I liked it, Honest! But I absolutely hated the price, I felt like an idiot paying 4 bucks for 4 bottles.....But It tasted good and became my A.M. drink of choice, Oh well............Better stock up at the local store, and yup.............I saw this coming a long time ago, I'm surprised it lasted THIS long!

fusion
09-15-2007, 12:30 AM
$4 is almost a bargain, considering it was over $6 in some places when it first came out (even more for single bottles).

I wonder if we'll see any leftover stock at Big Lots or Dollar Tree?

tomyear2134
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
6 bucks !!!! Wow that's insane!!! When I first heard about it I was psyched!!! Then I get to the store and I see these tiny bottles................I can buy a 12 pk of regular coke for $3.33!!

Too bad too...................Because I DO like it!!

Oh well, I guess I have to find a new cold coffee drink!

popologist
09-20-2007, 04:09 PM
6 bucks !!!! Wow that's insane!!! When I first heard about it I was psyched!!! Then I get to the store and I see these tiny bottles................I can buy a 12 pk of regular coke for $3.33!!

Too bad too...................Because I DO like it!!

Oh well, I guess I have to find a new cold coffee drink!

you get a 12 pack of coke for $3.33?!? i paid $7.49 last week!!!

Mr Zabe
09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
you get a 12 pack of coke for $3.33?!? i paid $7.49 last week!!!
WOW....HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!
Last Sunday I paid $5.50 for a cube of Pepsi.
Last week and now this week the chain grocery stores
are selling Coke case (24cans) for $5

Like I have said before, the Chicago soda pop market is very competitive.
Fridge packs normally sell for 4 for $11, on sale they sell for 4 for $10
2 ltrs are normally sold each week on sale for $1 to .89 cents.

Popboy
09-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Blak was so bad, about a month before it hit the shelves, I spoke to two two Coke reps who told me personally (with conviction), that it tasted like crap, and it would be far to overpriced to last long in the beverage market. "You didn't hear this from us bud!" was their parting conversation.