PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Soda Deposit Fraud

jericho
09-28-2007, 11:55 AM
FOXNews.com - Michigan Officials Bust Bottle-Deposit Fraud Ring - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298433,00.html)

Ron Swedelson
09-28-2007, 05:27 PM
The funny thing here is, they relate this story to the "Seinfield" episode.
If you all remember out buddy here, SodaSommolier, he actualy told me a story once. He sells beverages to many of the studios in Los Angeles. He said he was delivering product to the Seinfield set, and was telling the set people how him and his brother were trying to figure out how to make it profitable to get a bunch of cans and recycle them in MI. Now, I am not giving the credit to SodaSommoliar. But he did say that some months after he told the Seinfield set that story, they had an episode about it.

SamC
09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Pardon me, but I do not see the crime here. Most cans and bottles I get, even those bottled by bottlers with no business in any "deposit state" contain the varrious deposit language verbage.

So, if one lives in Sylvania, OH and takes one's bottles to Ottawa Lake, MI for return, one commits a "crime"???? The bottle clearly say "MI 10c" right on it. Offer and acceptance.

Ron Swedelson
09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I believe it deals with interstate commerce crimes. You have fraudulently paid a deposit of .05 cents with the intent to return it for .10 cents in another state. Or, even not buying the cans at all, but knowingly returning them to a state with higher returns. They recyclables are to be returned for same value. Its not a program to make money on, its a program to keep recylcling going. You paid your .05 cents for deposit, and you are asking for it back when you recycle your can.

ithastabeshasta
09-30-2007, 02:39 PM
While I suppose it was a crime I don't feel to bad for Michigan. Just how much money does Michigan make on people like me who visit, purchase several cases to take home therefore not being able to get the deposit back.

Seems like this is a scam too. Maybe there is some way a out of stater can avoid paying the deposit but I have never seen it posted anywhere.