PDA

View Full Version : Kiss my (gl)ass....

Android
10-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Ever since Mr Zabe posted his find of cases of Pepsi glass swirl bottles being available in cases at Sam's Clubs in the Chicago area, I'd been considering that to maybe be a good excuse for a road trip for me. Haven't done it yet but I've thought about it.

Ever since AD Heusing in Davenport, IA and the Pepsi Bottler in Memphis, MO stopped doing returnables, I've given up drinking normal Pepsi. Pepsi just isn't the same for me unless its in glass. So, when I want a sugar cola, RC is the one I go for.

Now, I've had dreams before where I would be in a grocery somewhere and stumble across a bunch of glass returnable bottles of some kind or another, usually in some clearance deal shelf, and fill my cart up with them, only to get to the checkout to find the scanner numbers aren't in the checkout computer so they wouldn't sell them to me. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/images/smiles/eusa_wall.gif

Well last night I was up at the K-mart in Casper WY, and stumbled across one 6-pack of Pepsi in glass disposable "deli" bottles. They were at the very beginning of the soda pop aisle, in an opening next to the Pepsi fridgepacks. No shelf tag, no price, they were just sitting there. They were very fresh too, bottled only 10 days earlier.

Pepsi in glass! :eek: :D....... Of course, I had to buy them. And guess what... I wasn't too surprised when they wouldn't scan at the checkout. It came up "Pepsi, enter price" and the checkout people "made up" a price of 2.99 for them, which is what I was expecting anyway. I'd have paid more, I haven't known Admiral/Fremont Beverages here to put Pepsi into any kind of glass since they got rid of the returnables a dozen years ago. I need to find out what the story is with these. Not sure if these are something they've always bottled and I just never came across them, or if its something they added or what - I want to know if they'll ever be sold in 6-packs like this. I know that "Deli bottles" such as these are usually sold for a price premium singly at c-stores and delis, etc. I did look at Sam's Club and Walmart after I got these, nothing there, but didn't go into any other stores after that.

-Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/Pepsi10ozGlassS.jpg

SplitLevelP
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Those are sold in the capital dist of new york.

CitrusCola
10-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I've seen Pepsi in those glass "deli" bottles in some c-stores in central Virginia.

Mr Zabe
10-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Gosh oh mighty those deli bottles look so darn tasty.
Heck $2.99 is a good deal. Enjoy!

The only deli glass that I see in Chicago are for the
bar mixer sodas. Tonic water,seltzer water and ginger ale.
The six packs sell for $3.85 or so. Just Like Saint said, they
are shelf dusters.

fusion
10-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Is the production code an Admiral code?

Android
10-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Oh, I've seen these in other parts of the country when I take road trips, but never locally. I got some last spring as singles from a c-store, when on a road trip, I think it was in Tennessee.

Yeah, these were bottled here - WF is the bottler code, with Fremont/ Worland WY on the cap.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/Pepsi10ozGlassCode.jpg

Android
12-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Update on this - I was in Casper the other day and found these for sale at Walmart there. Not cheap! 3.98 a 6pack. Same bottling run and date code as the ones I got 2 months ago.

Bigjon9981
12-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I have found these in the Kroger Deli section in Ohio just never before in a six pack. They run 79 cents a piece here.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-16-2007, 02:47 AM
http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/Pepsi10ozGlassS.jpg

Those Pepsi glass bottles look awesome!...

It reminded me the 500 ml glass bottles that used to be available here at 1998 with the blue label...

Android
12-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Yeah, they do look good. I bought another 6pack when I was at the Walmart the other day. Maybe it's because I don't drink Pepsi anymore, or the HFCS in it (both probably) but they aren't as tasty to me as they look. Or maybe I wasn't eating the right food for them to wash down. But I still drank them all in a couple of days.

Andy