PDA

View Full Version : Are their any sports drinks with REAL sugar?

Popados
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I always look at the sweeteners when I see a new sports drinks but they always have HFCS.

Does anyone know where I can find real sugar sports drinks? I'd bet they taste way better than any Gatorade or Powerade.

Also, why don't they make a diet version? Do you think it'd taste that bad?

greg
10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I always look at the sweeteners when I see a new sports drinks but they always have HFCS.

Does anyone know where I can find real sugar sports drinks? I'd bet they taste way better than any Gatorade or Powerade.

Also, why don't they make a diet version? Do you think it'd taste that bad?

The whole premise of a "Sports Drink" is rehydration. The elecrolytes lost as well as the carbohydrates used for energy need to be replaced. The use of Sugar, or HFCS, in most if not all cases, creates the perfect environment for uptake of the salts and other minerals being replaced by the drink. So, not only do you get the insulin spike that increases uptake you also get the simple sugars, or carbohydrates, for more fuel to be used as energy or endurance.
That is why you will not see a true "sugar free" version. You may see a "light" version but you will need some sugar in the beverage.