PDA

View Full Version : Is Pibb Xtra a hard to find soda?

Popados
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
I ask this because I'm involved in a Secret Santa gift exchange and the person I'm buying for is interested in rare and discontinued sodas. And I've recentely found a lot of Pibb Xtra at my g/f's college campus.

Thanks,
popados

skylark68
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess it just depends on the region because I can still get it pretty easily here in Houston, TX. Kroger, Wal-Mart, etc. stock it for the most part.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
IMO, I think, i'm not so sure, that Pibb Xtra isn't hard to find in those territories where Dr. Pepper isn't bottled by the Coca-Cola bottler, for example, where I went to Laredo, TX. I found Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero, cause Dr. Pepper is bottled there by the C-S Bottler, not by the Coke bottler...

BluejacketT
10-31-2007, 03:29 AM
It's hard to find it here in Muskogee, OK.

SamC
10-31-2007, 06:23 AM
What Ram0n said is correct. In areas where Pepsi or an non-Pepsi/non-Coke bottler has the rights to Dr Pepper, the product is common, tempered by the fact that that the "Dr" flavor is much more popular in the south, particularly Texas and Oklahoma, than the north. In areas where Coke has Dr Pepper, it is pretty much unavailable.

distortedview
10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Sorry to stray from the topic just a little bit, but do you think Coke would ever change the name back to Mr. Pibb? I know it's a different formula, but NO ONE ever calls it Pibb Xtra. Whenever I'm at a resturant and ask for a Dr Pepper the server will either say, "Mr. Pibb ok?" or, "We don't have Dr Pepper, but we have root beer", which is nothing like DP at all :) Anyways, it just seems like most people still use the Mr. Pibb name.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Sorry to stray from the topic just a little bit, but do you think Coke would ever change the name back to Mr. Pibb? I know it's a different formula, but NO ONE ever calls it Pibb Xtra. Whenever I'm at a resturant and ask for a Dr Pepper the server will either say, "Mr. Pibb ok?" or, "We don't have Dr Pepper, but we have root beer", which is nothing like DP at all :) Anyways, it just seems like most people still use the Mr. Pibb name.

Quoting Andy Samberg: "Mr. Pibb and Red Vines equals Crazy Delicious!" :D

Bigjon9981
10-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I am not sure where you are at in Ohio but Pibb Xtra is availalbe at Kroger and at Rally's here in Dayton...I think that it is regionally availalble in Ohio but I could never find it when I was in Michigan.

I ask this because I'm involved in a Secret Santa gift exchange and the person I'm buying for is interested in rare and discontinued sodas. And I've recentely found a lot of Pibb Xtra at my g/f's college campus.

Thanks,
popados

KingOfDiamonds
11-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I live in PA and the only place I've ever seen Mr. Pibb is @ wendys :P

Carbonated Shinobi
11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I've NEVER seen Pibb Xtra in any part of the state of New York I've been to... and I live there!

fusion
11-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Previously, Buffalo Coke did produce Pibb, but not anymore. They do sell it in bag-in-box, though.

It's plentiful in Maryland, in 20oz and 12 packs only, though.

Coke bottlers sell Dr Pepper in all of New Jersey, and most of Eastern PA, so you can't find it there. I can't remember off the top of my head if Coke sells it in central PA, where Pepsi or RC Winchester has Dr Pepper.

I remember when I was in Tennessee a few years ago, it was everywhere, in just about every cooler (along with Mello Yello). Tullahome Coke really pushed the brand. I later found Pibb Zero in Owensboro, KY.

Tech_Guy
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Here in Western Pennsylvania, Pepsi takes care of Dr. Pepper, but Pibb is nowhere to be found. The last places here (Punxsutawney, PA) to have it were Wendy's and Dairy Queen, but both places replaced it with Dr. Pepper.

We did have Mr. Pibb from 1998 - 2001 and Pibb Xtra in 2002. Pibb must not have sold enough (even though it seemed to disappear from the shelves when we did have it).

The closest place to Punxsutawney I have found Pibb Xtra is Grantsville, MD. I was craving Pibb and read an old thread where fusion mentioned it being plentiful in Maryland. So I took a trip to Cumberland (LaVale, actually) with a stop at Granstville along the way.

I didn't see Pibb Zero in the places I did look (Foodland along US 219 near Grantsville and the Martin's along MD 53 near LaVale), and I am not sure if it is even available in MD. But it is fun to look... almost like a treasure hunt (as odd as that sounds). :)

To kind of answer the original poster's question, living in PA, I would definitely consider Pibb (especially Pibb Zero) to be "hard-to-find." Others that seem to be rare:

Diet Mello Yello
Any flavor of Fanta other than Orange and Grape (Fanta Birch Beer seems to be rare... very rare)
Fanta Zero
Delaware Punch (either flavor)
Faygo Peach
Faygo Chocolate Creme Pie
Cherry RC
Diet Cherry RC
Barq's Red Creme Soda
Mello Yello
Mountain Dew LiveWire
Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper
Dr. Pepper Berries & Creme
Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper (Diet too)

I do find it funny that Coca-Cola's "second tier" products are the ones that tend to be the hardest to find. I am not exactly sure why.