PDA

View Full Version : Dasani Gets “Bad Product Award”

scum1
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
So I read the Blog here on Bevnet about it. I just don't get it. Unless it says spring water on the label then it is most likely tap watered that has been filtered and treated most likely. Am I wrong in that assumption? When I was younger I worked at Ozarka for a bit and the drinking water was sourced from the city of Houston water supply. Do other bottled "drinking" waters come from municipal sources? I usually get spring water if I buy bottled water.

CitrusCola
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
The label will usually tell you the source of the water or if it has been purified. If the water has been purified, it doesn't really matter if it came from a city water supply, a spring, or a well. In fact, some city waters contain additives (fluoride, ferric chloride, etc.) that tend to rapidly gunk up purification systems.

Some spring water, on the other hand, contains high levels of minerals that can add a not-so-nice taste. If a spring is in an area with lots of limestone, for example, the water can contain significant amounts of calcium bicarbonate. That's good if you need an antiacid, but the taste is bitter.

Some purified bottled waters (Wal-mart for one) have minerals added after purification. Usually they add magnesium sulfate. To me, that tastes really bad.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
BTW, how we can explain to that Consumers International organization that the American one isn't the same as the British one?

scum1
11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
So was Dasani leaving the source off of the bottle?

stuartfanning
11-02-2007, 04:00 AM
Here's some background to what happened in the UK.

BBC NEWS | Business | Coke recalls controversial water (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3550063.stm)

People in the US and elsewhere who buy Dasani are paying for bottled tap water. Wonder why they would want too?

CStoreCatMan
11-02-2007, 03:39 PM
So was Dasani leaving the source off of the bottle?

Yes, apparently they are. It was mentioned in the blog that they should disclose that information on the bottle...

scum1
11-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I just drank a bottle of Deja Blue water and no source was listed on the bottle either.

CitrusCola
11-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Deja Blue is a purified drinking water. With purified water, the source is not really all that important because everything in the water (in theory, at least) is removed. Water is water no matter where it comes from.

Where the source is important is with spring water. Spring water contains minerals which give the water flavor (good or bad). Water from a spring in the mountains will usually contain different minerals than water from a spring in a coastal area, for example.

scum1
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
What does Dasani say it is? Drinking water? Spring water? If it says spring water then it was a blatant lie if it just says water or drinking water then not so much.

CitrusCola
11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Dasani is purified tap water (from various sources) that then has three minerals added to it: magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and sodium chloride.

They can't claim it's spring water because it isn't. They can't claim it's purified water because they put minerals back into it.

I guess the folks at Coca Cola figure that if they don't do something different (like add minerals), then theier product is no different from Aqua Fina or any other purified water.

fusion
11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Dasani bottles do state on the front that the water is purified.

Most of our Dasani 24 packs come from the same exact plant that produces Spring! (formerly Dannon/Spring! by Dannon).. the production code is the same, the source is the same. Except with Dasani, it's purified to remove everything, and then the specified minerals are added back in.

I don't think there is any bottled water out there that is filled directly from a tap.

Mr Zabe
11-06-2007, 11:31 PM
As I have said before, Springs spring water is one of the
best spring waters I have ever tasted. I picked up a couple
of Dasani 24ct cases during the past summer.
I was very pleased with the quality and taste. I tried Dasani
when it first came out and I did not like the taste.

Actually I now price shop between Dasani and Springs. Props to
Coca Cola for putting out good bottle water.

(See my Advatar. That how much I like Springs. LOL)

scum1
11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I guess i was just confused as to why Dasani was singled out when most non spring waters I see don't list a source.

ColdOne86
11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't see the big deal about Dasani not being from a spring. It taste pretty good to me,its one of the bottle waters I drink the most.:D

fusion
04-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Bad news, Zabe. Beverage Digest is reporting that Coca-Cola is going to stop selling Spring (now called Aquarius Spring) water. No mention of it anywhere else, though. I guess those plants will just produce Dasani now.

Mr Zabe
04-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Well...I kind of figured that would happen.
Actually I switched to my local Nestle's spring water,
Ice Mountain several years ago. Ice Mountain has a smoother
taste and is just about always on special. I just picked up
10 cases for $4 a case. It tastes awesome ice cold. Actually I drink
much more water than soda pop. I have weened myself to about
12 cans per week,(Pepsi KP forced me to take a break from moderation. LOL)

Misticdude
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
No wonder it's only $3.99 a 24-pack this week! I never liked Dasani anyway. When I think of Coca-Cola, all I think of are Cherry Coke, Barq's, and Vault.