PDA

View Full Version : regional soda poll

ilikesoda
11-07-2007, 03:22 AM
i'm sure this was probably done in the past, but between this name and my old one ive been registered for like 3 years at least and i dont remember seeing it. if no one minds, could everybody just reply and say what regional sodas (things that are hard to find only) are available near them (regional flavors of major brands as well i.e. sunkist, welch's) this way whenever someone is looking for something they don't have to ask around they can just reference this post? just an idea, if no one wants to do it then i wont be offended, i just think it would be cool.

in my area (miami /ft lauderdale) : squirt, welch's strawberry, sunkist (pineapple, strawberry, fruit punch, occasionally grape), Fanta (apple, pineapple, shokata, exotic, orange zero), big red and big pineapple, pepsi lime (regular), mello yello, rc cola, tahitian treat, dad's rootbeer and cream sodas, coke blak (still), tab, jolt battery cans, irn-bru reg and diet)

thats all i can think of off the top of my head for the harder to finds - ill add more as i remember them.

fusion
11-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Many of those brands can be found pretty easily in other areas - for example, Buffalo Rock Pepsi and PBG and other bottlers in NC carry Sunkist, and they each sell quite a few of the flavors.

Welch's Strawberry can be found in central Maryland, from Baltimore to DC, from Honickman Canada Dry.

What you're looking for is truly regional brands...

Like:

Canada Dry flavors - Wild Cherry, Pineapple, Black Cherry, Lime, Peach, Vanilla Creme. They are only produced by Honickman Canada Dry in Pennsauken NJ.

Frank's - Honickman recently resurrected this older brand in 2 liter form - I've seen champagne cola, orange tangerine, kiwi strawberry, and a few others. 99 pre-priced 2 liters, and usually seen in gas stations and 7-11s and such.

Another Honickman regional brand is Rock Creek, produced at the Beverage Capital plant in Baltimore, and sold mostly in central MD, northern VA. Though I did find some at a 7-11 in central DE. I am not sure of the flavor range, but I do remember Cherry Smash and Fruit Punch.

PBG sells a brand called Suburban in the Baltimore area. There is a ginger ale and Almond Smash, and I think there is a third flavor as well.

Davis Beverages in eastern/central PA sells a clear birch beer called Frozen Run.

I think this may also be regional - Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer.

Welcome to PA Dutch! (http://www.daretogodutch.com/)

They sell birch beer, diet birch beer, and orange cream. Previously there was a black cherry as well.

I know Honickman Canada Dry and Davis sell it - not sure who else.

DGibb
11-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Here in the suburbs of Detroit, we have been blessed with copious amounts of Faygo in all forms as well as Tahitian Treat, Crush in glass bottles (Cherry, Pineapple, Punch, Peach, Orange, and Grape), and others. I am sure other people can contribute to the unique pop (yes, it's called pop in Michigan) of the region.

Mr Zabe
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Fusion,
I'm not joking around. You really should
document/write a book of your experiences
and knowledge of the soda pop industry.
You wisdom is very much appreciated.:)

fusion
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Zabe.

Though sometimes I am jumping to conclusions with my observations, so my information may not be 100% correct - I often rely on other posters to correct some of my errors.

Another interesting regional thing is packaging sizes.

I couldn't help but notice that Pepsi and the third tiers in North Carolina love 16 ounce bottle six packs. They are everywhere. Mostly hi-coned, but Pepsi had some shrinkwrapped as well. I even saw Sierra Mist and Sierra Mist Free in 8 packs (buy six get two free).

Since Pepsi Bottling Ventures also has territory in southern Delaware and Virginia, they sell that package there as well. Previously, Pepsi Delmarva hi-coned 20oz and sold them in 6 packs.

Coke Consolidated also has 18 packs of cans - I didn't see any 24 packs anywhere. They also belly-band their 8 packs of 12oz bottles (CCE puts them in boxes).

I also saw Diet Pepsi Max in cubes.

fusion
11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/suburban2L.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/CanadaRock2L.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/pepsimaxcube.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/pepsi8pkmist.jpg

Tech_Guy
11-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Soda pop selection in my area is basic. But we do have a few OOOH-worthy gems like Virgil's. I personally like the fact I can walk across town to get Mello Yello and Barq's Red Creme Soda.

Here is a break down by counties.

Western Pennsylvania

Jefferson, Indiana, Armstrong, Butler, Clearfield, Clarion, Cambria, and Blair Counties

Coca-Cola
- Mello Yello
- Barq's Red Creme Soda

Pepsi
- Mountain Dew LiveWire

DPSU
- RC Cola
- Diet Rite (all flavors except for Peach)
- Sunkist Orange
- Sunkist Cherry Limeade (I only ever saw this in Altoona)
- Welch's Grape
- Squirt
- Diet Squirt
- Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper
- Diet Dr. Pepper Berries & Creme
- Cherry 7up
- Diet Cherry 7up

Others
- Boylan's (Cane Cola, Birch Beer, Ginger Ale) - available at the Ironwood Grille in Indiana, PA
- Virgil's Root Beer - Back To Nature in Indiana, PA
- Reed's Ginger Beer - Back To Nature in Indiana, PA
- Blue Sky (seems to be the full line) - Back To Nature in Indiana, PA
- Blue Sky Organic (seems to be the full line) - Back To Nature in Indiana, PA
- Faygo (Cola, Cherry Cola, Grape, Orange, Redpop, Diet Cola, Diet Root Beer, Creme Soda, Root Beer, Lemon-Lime, Moon Mist, and Black Cherry)
- Crush (Orange, Grape)
- Super Chill - available at Shop & Save and County Market supermarkets
- Dad's Root Beer - Comet Supermarket in Punxsutawney, PA, Corner Convenience in Elderton, PA, and Big Lots in Indiana, PA
- Dad's Orange Creme Soda - Big Lots in Indiana, PA
- Dad's Blue Creme Soda - Big Lots in Indiana, PA
- Dad's Red Creme Soda - Big Lots in Indiana, PA
- IBC Root Beer
- IBC Creme Soda

Westmoreland, Fayette, Allegheny, Somerset, Cambria, and Blair Counties

Coca-Cola
- Tab - Giant Eagle in Latrobe, PA and Save-Mor Beer & Pop Warehouse in Homestead, PA
- Barq's Red Creme Soda

Pepsi
- Mountain Dew LiveWire
- IZZE - Giant Eagle stores with Natural sections

DPSU
- Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper (both reg and diet)
- Dr. Pepper Berries & Creme (both reg and diet)
- Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper
- Cherry 7up
- Diet Cherry 7up
- RC Cola
- Diet Rite (all flavors except for Peach)
- Sunkist Orange
- Sunkist Cherry Limeade (I only ever saw this in Altoona)
- Welch's Grape
- Squirt
- Diet Squirt

Others
- Virgil's Root Beer - Giant Eagle stores with Natural sections
- Virgil's Creme Soda - Giant Eagle stores with Natural sections
- Reed's Ginger Beer - Giant Eagle stores with Natural sections
- Blue Sky (limited variety) - Giant Eagle stores with Natural sections
- Blue Sky Organic (limited variety) - Giant Eagle stores with Natural sections
- Faygo (Cola, Cherry Cola, Grape, Orange, Redpop, Diet Cola, Diet Root Beer, Creme Soda, Root Beer, Lemon-Lime, Moon Mist, and Black Cherry)
- Crush (Orange, Grape, and Strawberry)
- Super Chill - available at Shop & Save supermarkets
- IBC Root Beer
- IBC Creme Soda
- Vernor's