PDA

View Full Version : SUNKIST FLOAT and A&W ROOTBEER FLOAT

DrPprLvr
11-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Saw an email today about a couple new products.
SUNKIST FLOAT and A&W ROOTBEER FLOAT.
Suppose to taste like it's mixed with vanilla icecream.
Supposedly it'll be out around the first of the year.
Sounds like it'd be prettu good to me.

PopNutz
11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Barq's had a Root Beer Float a couple years back but I never got to try it. I hope distribution is better on these because I would love to try them both.

amyers
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, UKSoda posted pictures of these back in October:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/lythe2001/floatstwo.jpg

99R
01-10-2008, 06:21 PM
My 7-Up vendor brought me samples today. These things are insanely sweet with 63g of sugar in 11.5oz. They remind me of the Costco cakes (15 years ago). >.>

The bottle design looks a bit retro and catchy.

The rep said it's supposed to be in distribution for sometime in Jan, but they actually have it already in December and ready for sale.

If you do get one, make sure you don't open it near things you like to keep dry. The foam jumps out as soon as you open it, even if it wasn't shaken. I learned that the hard way.

amyers
01-10-2008, 11:45 PM
They Pepsi will pick the Sunkist one up? Our 7-up only has A&W.

99R
01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
They Pepsi will pick the Sunkist one up? Our 7-up only has A&W.

Does your Pepsi vendor carry other Sunkist products? If so, probably.

amyers
01-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Does your Pepsi vendor carry other Sunkist products? If so, probably.

Well, yes - I just didn't know if they'd pick up just one product like that - its' Buffalo Rock - they're picky.

Soda-MN-Good
01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
The local store is carrying these at $5.96 for a 4 pack, a little steep for me. but I bought a couple to try.

The Sunkist Float was a little better than expected as it really catches what a orange dreamcicle tastes like.

After trying the orange i was thinking the root beer would be great....not so much.

Tastes to me like a liquid carmel cream, you know, the caramel candies with the white cream in the center. i never cared much for those as a kid either.

I gave one to the guy next door and he ended buying the rest because he loved them. I guess I just drink too many root beers to be able to say this was great. I think Tommy Knockers root beer float and Frostie vanilla root beer pull it off a little better.

But never as good as any root beer with real vanilla ice cream.

Tannerman
02-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I got a chance to try the A&W float yesterday (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/02/24/review-aw-float/). I've had it sitting in my fridge for about a week, but finally my wife and I decided to taste it.

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_awfloat1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/02/24/review-aw-float/)

I really liked the idea and wanted it to work. I mean, what a simple concept idea... root beer float in a bottle. And looking at the ingredient list, how can you not be encouraged by no HFCS and instead the use of sugar and skim milk (even though it didn't require refrigeration until AFTER you opened it... puzzling!).

However, in the end, I just didn't like the taste. Amazingly artificial; heavy dose of "caramel" flavor both in the taste and in the scent. Plus, an aftertaste that just sort of lingered on your tongue for a while. Great idea, horrible execution. :(

jmyjunk
02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
One word, YUCK.

I bought A&W float with hight hopes. It sounds like a great idea.

My first though was this tastes like artifical flavor used in those Root Beer Hard candies.

It was way to syrupy for my liking. I much rather have a real float, using real root beer, and real ice cream.

You can't bottle a float.

Popados
02-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I tried the Sunkist float last week and I was pretty disappointed. I don't think this stuff is meant to be bottled. Maybe I'd like it if it were more carbonated.

BottleBoss
02-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I thought they were pretty good. I especially liked the Sunkist Orange Float. Those are great. Very sweet though. And expensive.

liquidlunch
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Ew really?!?! Good? Something about this makes my tummy do somersaults. I'll take the normal A&W with the normal ingredients (hfcs, caramel color, whatever) any day.

AABCjoe
03-08-2008, 09:43 AM
My 7-Up vendor brought me samples today. These things are insanely sweet with 63g of sugar in 11.5oz. They remind me of the Costco cakes (15 years ago). >.>

The bottle design looks a bit retro and catchy.

The rep said it's supposed to be in distribution for sometime in Jan, but they actually have it already in December and ready for sale.

If you do get one, make sure you don't open it near things you like to keep dry. The foam jumps out as soon as you open it, even if it wasn't shaken. I learned that the hard way.

Yes...be careful when you open them. The box says to open the cap and IMMEDIATELY tip it completely upside down into a glass (to capture all the foam).

I loved the package and the graphics when I first saw it in the warehouse months ago...I knew it was gonna be a decent seller...if they didn't overprice it (like they do everything). Even though the price is a bit high, A&W outsells the Sunkist two-to-one, though i much prefer the flavor of the Sunkist. It's FLYING off store shelves...I am SHOCKED at how well it's doing. Most places are going through more than one case a week, which is surprising given the retail cost of the stuff...I hope that it catches on...I think an RC float or even a 7up float would do equally well.

lordmadone
03-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Really good stuff imho..well designed package and presentation..kind of costly and high on the calories but if you want a treat its pretty damn good. 7up float tho? Hmmm I'll pass.