PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Caffeine Free????

Mr Zabe
11-21-2007, 01:17 AM
I have been a loyal Pepsi drinker for years.
Last weekend I picked up a couple of fridge packs of
caffeine free Pepsi. I must say that I'm really get into
CFP. It tastes like HFCS Pepsi but it has a smoother after taste.
I'm seriously considering not buying regular Pepsi for my house and
just drinking CFP at home. (I'll still drink fountain Pepsi.)

jacksmom
11-21-2007, 04:33 PM
You know, I never can tell a difference between the regular and caffeine free versions of things - although my husband swears there's a huge difference! I'm glad you like the CFP, though, Mr. Zabe! I'll have to try it again. I'm usually a Coke drinker, although I just picked up a 12-pack of Jones Pure Cane Cola, so that'll be interesting to try.

CitrusCola
11-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Caffeine tends to give drinks a bitter taste. It's easier to add it to citrus drinks (Vault, Sun Drop, Mountain Dew, etc.) because they are more acidic and caffeine is basic. Acids usually taste tart while bases are bitter. Adding caffeine takes away the tartness of a citrus soft drink -- that's why lemon-lime drinks (7-Up, Sprite, etc.) are caffeine free.

With colas, less caffeine means less bitterness, and that usually means that less sweetener needs to be added to cover up the bitterness.

I really like the caffeine-free Diet Sun Drop, but I have to drive to Salisbury, NC to get it. I would think that there would be a greater demand for more caffeine-free soft drinks.

drpep
11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree with Zabe, the Caffeine Free Pepsi is smoother, although I don't like it. I do prefer CF Diet Pepsi over reg Diet Pepsi.

JMHX316
11-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Has the headache started yet? Or are you still getting caffeine from other sources?

Mr Zabe
11-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Has the headache started yet? Or are you still getting caffeine from other sources?

Yes, some headaches and some anxiety. Last night and this morning, I drank
a can of regular Pepsi as I thought I was going to go crazy.

fusion
11-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, the biggest difference I notice is the lack of the "bite" that caffeine gives the drinks. That bite is really noticeable in Barq's, and it's their selling point.

In my travels, I noticed that caffeine free Sundrop is even harder to find than CF Diet.

Choice USA in Gastonia produces most of the non-Coke Sundrop in NC, which they ship to the other distributors.

Zabe, with the slower turnover with the caffeine free versions, you may notice the CF Pepsi won't usually be as fresh as the regular Pepsi.

Mr Zabe
11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Fusion,
Good point. It took some looking to find "young" CFP in the local high volume
grocery store. The one's that were found were 3 weeks older than the regular Pepsi.
I'm spoiled. I usually can get regular Pepsi fridge packs that are less than a week old.