PDA

View Full Version : caffeine

blacky646
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
ok i got question i drink a ton of energy drinks and soda

so how much caffeine is a too much a day. and is it addictive.

Android
12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
What level is too much? I've read that up to 200mg/day is OK. Just one strong coffee or energy drink may have that much in it. But I don't recall what a dangerous level is.

Is it addictive? As a stimulant that is fairly quickly processed by the body it's not really physically addictive. It's more of an emotional hook. Withdrawl usually means headaches, moodiness, tiredness(duh). But it only lasts a day or two. It varies from person to person too.

idrinkamp
12-01-2007, 05:23 PM
check out this site, bro

Death by Caffeine (http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/)

Mr Zabe
12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
My drop dead point is 630 cans of Pepsi. LOL

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I have a question... I know that Mt Dew and Vault have a lot of caffeine, but does fruit flavored sodas like Fanta or Fresca have caffeine too?

Chad.
12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
no fanta and fresca do not have caffiene

Tech_Guy
12-02-2007, 12:26 AM
For some strange reason, Sunkist does have caffeine. So beware if you want an orange soda and cannot have caffeine. I am not sure if the other Sunkist flavors have caffeine.

fusion
12-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I have a bottle of Sunkist grape right here - no caffeine listed.

A&W cream soda also has quite a bit of caffeine in it.

Tropicana, Slice, Fanta orange (as well as most, if not all private labels) are caffeine free.

jacksmom
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I also have a question about too much caffeine. I really limit my intake to just one energy drink on the weekend, but usually the rest of the week I only have either one 12 oz. cola or a 12 oz. Mtn. Dew a day. However, my husband has been struggling with depression and this last weekend he has been drinking upwards of 3 energy drinks a day just to stay awake - but he is still crashing and sleeping almost 16 hours a day. I think the energy drinks are contributing to the depression. Help - please?

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
I dunno about how much is too much, but let it be known that caffeine is definitely addictive, and addiction to it (or anything else) follows the same chemical pathways in the body that addictions to drugs do.

Caffeine, like anything, is something to be done in moderation.

Mr Zabe
12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I think I mentioned this last week.
I have been off caffien (I cheated twice LOL) for
the past 6 days. I'm still having a very hard time.
I will not go into details but in short I feel sick and my
headaches have not gotten better.

I agree, caffeine is addictive physically at least in my case.:(

Android
12-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I doubt this wll help you out Zabe, but here's a quote from the following website:

Caffeine & Health: Clarifying The Controversies (http://www.afic.org/Caffeine%20&%20Health%20Clarifying%20The%20Controversies.htm)

CAFFEINE AND WITHDRAWAL

Depending on the amount ingested, caffeine can be a mild stimulant to the central nervous system. Although sometimes colloquially referred to as "addictive", moderate caffeine consumption is safe and should not be classified with addictive drugs of abuse. When regular caffeine consumption is abruptly discontinued, some individuals may experience withdrawal symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue or drowsiness These effects usually are temporary lasting up to a day or so, and often can be avoided if caffeine cessation is gradual.(49, 50, 51) Moreover, most caffeine consumers do not demonstrate dependent, compulsive behavior, characteristic of dependency to drugs of abuse.(4) Although pharmacologically active the behavioral effects of caffeine typically are minor. As further elaborated by the American Psychiatric Association, drugs of dependence cause occupational or recreational activities to be neglected in favor of drug seeking activity.(5) Clearly, this is not the case with caffeine.