PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tetra Paks?

Whynatte
12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
What do you guys think about the increased use of Tetra Paks for single serve beverages? I'm trying to find line time with a hot fill co-packer that can do cans, and can only find line time for Tetra Paks. Seems a little telling that I can easily find line time for Tetra Paks, when there isn't line time for cans until 2009.

Do you believe that Tetra Paks are going to become a viable alternative to cans and bottles?

fusion
12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
They are already a staple in many parts of Europe.. here, however, they are pretty much just used for kids drinks.

Whynatte
12-18-2007, 09:55 PM
They are already a staple in many parts of Europe.. here, however, they are pretty much just used for kids drinks.

Yeah, I've seen them all over Europe, used for adult drinks as well as kid's drinks.

What do you think it would take for them to lose the "child" stigma in the US? Do you think that this is something we're going to start seeing more often?

From a cost standpoint, it would appear that they're actually more expensive than cans. This is one reason that they're used less, I'm guessing.

Joey
12-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Tetra Paks' are very expensive. I would only reccomend using them for a premium product with a high retail price. They are usually used for milk or soy based products. From what I have seen the filling costs are higher as well.

ColaFan
12-30-2007, 02:18 AM
I do believe that there are still lots of private label copackers who can do cans.

Whynatte
01-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I do believe that there are still lots of private label copackers who can do cans.

Perhaps, but I haven't been able to find more than 1. I'm not ruling out the one that I have talked to, but the cost if definitely higher than going at it and making your own formula from scratch with a flavor house, and then using a contract co-packer to can it. I would rather use a flavor house, seeing as though I may have a little up front cost to develop the formula, but then I own it outright from there on out. I have had an unbelievable amount of difficulty finding someone to co-pack a canned milk based beverage for me. Water based energy drink, no problem, but the dairy factor is killing me.

If you know of anyone that has line time in the spring or summer of '08, please let me know. I have the flavor house lined up, ready to make the formula, I just need someone to pack it for me.

Thanks.

upinarms
01-09-2008, 09:32 PM
The only drinks I can think of of the top of my head in Tetra Paks are Muscle Milk and some mid priced wine.

Like mentioned before, for a premium beverage, sure...something cheap, not cost effective.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Tetra Pak is still widely used here in Mexico: for milk, fruit juices, nectars, soya juices, milkshakes and even yoghurt...

Joey
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Whynatte,

I know of a few co-packers that may be able to help you. Be preparred for some pretty large runs though. Feel free to send me a message.