PDA

View Full Version : Tava

fusion
12-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Tava™ An Inspired Sparkling Beverage. (http://www.tava.com/)

A new zero-calorie line of sparkling beverages, from Pepsi.

Seems like a good idea, but the packaging looks weak.

Coming in February 2008.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Interesting beverage... definetely those sodas make H2OH! (Pepsi's sparkling beverage from here) look boring...

Tannerman
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Wasn't Tava original slated to rollout in late 2007? I seem to remember the news (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/07/business/soda.php?page=1) blitz (http://www.foodprocessing.com/industrynews/2006/153.html) earlier this year mentioning that timeframe.

fusion
12-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about it before. Notice that the line has went from four flavors to three. And it's being marketed as a sparkling beverage, not a soda now.

But using that bottle makes it look like a soda. And the flavors are probably too out there for the general public.

Mr Zabe
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
How will it be sweetened?
I agree, that bottle needs some work.

drpep
01-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Black Cherry Tava in fountain at local Target. If I was not headed out the door I would have bought one.

Xopher
01-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Black Cherry Tava in fountain at local Target. If I was not headed out the door I would have bought one.

I thought Tava hadn't launched in stores yet. According to the website (http://www.tava.com/) it will be launching in another 11 days. And fountain? Sup?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I saw it at target on fountain too, i was leaving as well, so i diddnt try it.

drpep
01-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I was going to try some today but the spout had an out of order sign on it. I wonder if someone put the label on to early.

drpep
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I tried some today at a different Target. I liked it. I don't drink much non cola sodas but I will have this again someday.

Hfly1
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
I found Tava at the Target fountain too. I had never heard of it and usually never drink anything without knowing what's in it. (Mormon upbringing, taught to abstain from potentially addictive or harmful food and drink.) I avoid soda as an everyday drink and only treat myself to it a few times each month. When I do I am often focusing on the flavor and comparing it to other sodas I've had. (I enjoyed the real sugar in the Coke in Israel!) I figured the worst Tava could be is a power drink with lots of caffeine or an ice tea variant, which I avoid. It was very frothy compared even to root beer, so it took some time to fill my cup and I felt a bit self conscious slurping the foam off the top at the fountain. When I finally sat down and focused on the taste I found I liked it very much. It had a pleasantly sweet flavor and I could not detect any sweetener aftertaste. I really liked the fruity flavor. It seemed more natural than the normal fruit flavors. There was a touch of something that I would describe as vitaminish, but it was not unpleasant at all. As soon as I got back to my computer I had to look it up to see what it was. I'm pleased to find that it was not an iced tea, but a low cal, low carbination soda with some vitamins and chromium. I've looked all over and cannot find the complete list of ingredients. I'm wondering if it has phosphoric acid, which I like to avoid too. Tava has easily hopped onto my short list of favorite sodas along with A&W and IBC Rootbeer, Cherry Coke, and Coke Classic. And the low calorie and caffeine free and (hopefully) phos acid free eliminates most of my barriers to drink it. Just the carbonation would keep me from drinking it every day, but I would be more likely to drink it regularly than the others, due to their caffeine or sugar. Considering how much soda people drink I hope it is well recieved and has a positive impact on the world's overall health.

lordmadone
01-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Force shipped 3 cases of 24 pack half liters of each flavor as well as 3 cases of 4 pack 12 oz cans to all of my food lions. Tried two of the three flavors and I must say..I am very impressed. The taste was fruity/tropical and smooth with a slight hint of carbonation..and almost zero aftertaste. Targets got the same treatment I heard.

jacksmom
02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
I found it the other day at Macey's in 16.9 oz. bottles. I bought 3 - the Black Cherry Citrus, Passion Fruit Lime and the Tropical Berry Blend. I must say - I was impressed! Probably the BEST diet drink I've ever had. I think I liked the Passion Fruit Lime the best, but they were all very good. I generally stick to full calorie drinks as I happen to be one of those lucky people with a very fast metabolism and not a lot of body weight, but I enjoyed these so much that I will probably buy them again and enjoy them just as much as my "regular" drinks. Most diet drinks leave me thirstier than before (probably from the aftertaste), but I didn't experience any of that with these drinks. I hope they parlay into mainstream, 12 oz. cans. The only drawback was that they were a bit on the pricey side ($1.39 for just 16 oz.).

lordmadone
02-16-2008, 11:58 AM
2.99 for a 4 pack of 12oz cans is what they are selling them for over in our region AND I have seen 1.00 off coupons floating around too.

fusion
02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Yup. I paid $1.49 for 4 packs at Giant Eagle today. $2.99 - $.50 club card - $1.00 coupon.

Tech_Guy
02-17-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't quite get the higher price point. Take away the vitamins and others (like chromium) and you got basic diet soda pop.

Diet Coke Plus and 7Up Plus had Vitamins... I don't recall their prices being much higher. Is Chromium expensive? Now 20oz Tavas I noticed seem to be priced the same as every other soda pop. What I do notice is that Tava appears in the same area as energy drinks and Enviga... is this marketed as an energy or health drink?

lordmadone
02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Its a new age beverage. A kind of premium line of diet sodas with vitamins in them and a flavor to make them not taste like "diet" sodas..which IMHO does very well. It is not authorized in all of my stores I am in control of however we have approximately ZERO PoP material to support it and no running ads..which kinda erks me. Glad they got a 6-8 month shelf life.

Tannerman
02-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I got to try the Mediterranean Fiesta flavor the other day (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/02/20/review-tava-mediterranean-fiesta/). I'm not a fan of diet drinks, but I didn't think it was that bad.

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_tavamediterraneanfiesta1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/02/20/review-tava-mediterranean-fiesta/)

I think it's interesting to look at the positioning of this product, not only in the flavor, but also the bottle design (very narrow and different), branding (new name, no real mention of Pepsi), and even their website (heavy emphasis on lifestyle... though you'll crack up at the recommendation that you should drink this flavor with BBQ Spare Ribs! :) )

Not a bad entry into whatever we're calling this type of beverage these days. It's pretty much a nutrient-enhanced soda, right?

Mr Zabe
02-20-2008, 04:27 PM
I know I have said this to you before. LOL
Your out door pictures are outstanding!!!!!!
Good review.:)

fusion
02-20-2008, 04:51 PM
After I found the 4 packs, I later found the 16.9oz singles at a gas station in Charles Town, WV. I believe they were $1.09 with a 30˘ coupon on the cooler door.

Tannerman
02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I know I have said this to you before. LOL
Your out door pictures are outstanding!!!!!!

Thanks Zabe. I shot that yesterday afternoon. You remember how cold it was here in the city? Yeah, winter is somewhat of a challenge when your niche is "beverage reviews accompanied by photos of a bottle next to a tree even if it's like 3 degrees outside and there's snow everwhere!" :p

mjb1124
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I've tried Brazillian Samba and Tahitian Tamure, and they both have a really unpleasant aftertaste. And not the typical "diet" aftertaste either, but more of a medicinal/vitamin taste, probably caused by the added ingredients. I'm afraid to try the black cherry one, because even regular black cherry sodas tend to taste a bit medicinal.

b0mbtrac
03-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Monster Java rip.

meetingpeopleiseasy
03-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I tried the passion fruit lime flavor last night and I could only get through about half the bottle. I thought it was pretty gross.

greg
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
And it's being marketed as a sparkling beverage, not a soda now.

But using that bottle makes it look like a soda. And the flavors are probably too out there for the general public.

I think the combination of the "Sparkling Beverage" along with the Slim look bottle with slight decorative appeal along with the fanciful names are a direct marketing approach to women.

Sparkling Beverage= lightly carbonated with a clean crisp taste. Almost healthy.

Slim Bottle- Women tend to view themselves with what they surround themselves with. A slim bottle looks better in the hands of a woman than a shorter rounder( plump looking) bottle.

Exotic Names- A fantasy of sorts. Takes them away for a while. Lets them romantacize the moment.

After all, its all about marketing and the concept of your beverage that gets movement.

lordmadone
03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Now only if they would market the damn thing FFS! I have yet to find any POP material for it! It has CDA compliance activities in some of our grocery chains and they are pushing it out a bit but what good does that do if they don't at least commercialize and advertise the thing. It sells ok right now(actually to be honest it sold like maybe a case off a display I had up for 2-3 weeks..but thats not saying much I have slower stores..) and I am glad that one of the bigger grocery chains in my area(food lion) is having it go back up on a display dropping the price to 2.49 for a 4 pack and doing sampling in random stores..*sigh* ..too slow on a product that has been out over a month...unless thats the usually method of attack. IMHO it sucks.

the saint
03-11-2008, 06:23 AM
PBG??? advertise a new product?? what are you talking about?? We would rather shove it into all accounts and hope that 2-3 people decide to try it because it is new and tell all their friends who then tell all their friends and so on. Sooner or later (or never) everyone will know about it and PBG won't have to spend a dime on advertising. Heck MAX has been out almost a year now and other than the superbowl and the following week, how many commercials have you seen? Jazz was out for how long and how many commercials did you see? Life water? SoBe? think long and hard, How many commercials have you actually seen thru out the past year (barring the superbowl and following week) that were PBG products?? Do not count the G2 or propel commercials because they are paid by for gatorade, Just PBG products.
Then again, when earnhardt jr. got a gazillion jillion dollars from pepsi to drive the amp car, the advertising budget fund is a little thin......

greg
03-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I tried one this morning. It was the passion fruit with lime flavor.........first thing I thought of when I took the first sip was FRUITWORKS!
Remember those?
Does anyone remember what Cokes responses was to Fruitworks, or what the primary was to fruitworks? I don't remember which one came first, but i think it was fruitworks.

lordmadone
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Fruitworks? You mean that stuff that was out before tropicana? hah..

Saint well some of our products are advertised(even before the superbowl I saw commercials of people jumping into sobe life water bottles quite a bit..and the diet max has gotten a lot of press and what not and both of those have POP material AND both of those sell well..with diet max picking up a lot...sells better then diet cf pepsi for me some of the time) but tava hasn't at all..

fusion
03-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Coke had Fruitopia first, and then Pepsi followed with Fruitworks. Both were reworked into flavors under the respective juice lines (Minute Maid and Tropicana) before being dropped.

Fruitopia lives on in Canada, though.

The Fruits of Imagination (http://www.fruitopia.ca/)

the saint
03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Fruitworks? You mean that stuff that was out before tropicana? hah..

Saint well some of our products are advertised(even before the superbowl I saw commercials of people jumping into sobe life water bottles quite a bit..and the diet max has gotten a lot of press and what not and both of those have POP material AND both of those sell well..with diet max picking up a lot...sells better then diet cf pepsi for me some of the time) but tava hasn't at all..

I see more Sonic commercials in an hour than I see ANY PBG brand commercials in a month. Life water commercials are out and about along with (for most parts of the US) a retail under a buck to combat against vitamin water. PBG is guessing that since coke paid 4 billion for the brand (which for the most part carries a $1.49 retail) they aren't gonna advertise much. People buy what they see on TV more than walking down the aisle and finding something new. Max is pitted against zero (hence the ads)and while sales are picking up from what they were 6 months ago they still are next to nothing. I honestly do not see max being around at the end of the year.

Also tropicana is hanging on around here, barely but it is still alive in a few flavors of 20 oz. The 2 liters are gone and I think the 12 pk are as well but not 100% positive. My guess is that the 20 oz will be before long.

lordmadone
03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Diet max in my market was implemented as permanent in the core branding and we are required to have it now which I don't mind..it does sell decently.

The tropicana flavors do seem to be dying off to a degree though..I just had three resets out of four of my stores on my main shelf and our tropicana has like four facings now(4 2liter bottles deep) as opposed to the 10 if not more it had before and we have no space for 12pks of it..but one of my stores(a more upscale store) kept the big space it gave for us for it and it sells very well..especially when we have sales. Stays strong in all walmarts too..12pk and 2liters. 20oz not so much unless requested.

mjb1124
03-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Max seems to be doing well around here. It gets sold out a lot in convenience store coolers and vending machines.