PDA

View Full Version : Tried some different drinks over Christmas

CitrusCola
01-01-2008, 01:03 AM
My family was able to try some different drinks over the Christmas holiday:

-Pangle Heimers Gourmet Blush: my wife and kids liked it, but I didn't care for it; tastes like ginger ale mixed with grape juice (and I don't care for either one of those)

-Boylan's Ginger Ale: my wife loved this one; it's mild for a ginger ale

-Boylan's Diet Black Cherry: I liked it, but my wife didn't; it has a mild flavor and not too much carbonation

-Briar's Diet Black Cherry: my wife liked this one better, but I thought it was too strong

-Diet Rite Cherry Cola: not as good as Cherry Coke Zero, but better than Diet Cherry Coke

-Cherry RC Cola: the best cherry cola there is

-Faygo Blueberry Soda: way too sweet for me and my wife, but the kids liked it

-Sprite (in small glass bottles from Mexico): nasty; didn't taste like Sprite at all; was supposed to be sugar-sweetened

Did anyone else get to try anything new?

amyers
01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Where'd you get the Cherry RC?

MDLivewire4life
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Finally got my hands on some 7 Up Pomegranate, but it turned out to be kind of bland/gross.

CitrusCola
01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
The Cherry RC and Diet Rite Cherry Cola came from a seller on eBay -- huntst1. He has a large variety of sodas, but the shipping is costly.

amyers
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Blah, I thought you found it somewhere. :|

Tech_Guy
01-02-2008, 02:31 AM
I did get to try a few over the holiday season:

Fanta Zero - acutally wasn't bad for a diet orange soda. Had a decent orange taste and no sweetner aftertaste.

Fresca Black Cherry Citrus - I liked this flavor a lot! The cherry taste was very good; I could taste only hints of grapefruit with this one... almost like this is what gave the soda its "tang." Overalll, this did not feel like a diet soda to me. I didn't notice an Ivory Soap aftertaste with this one as I noticed with Fresca Original.

Fresca Peach Citrus - The peach almost tastes natural, but also brings a weird flavor to the party. Peach doesn't seem to mix well with grapefruit to me. I can taste almost equal peach and grapefruit flavors. While it is drinkable, I might get Black Cherry in its place. I didn't notice much of an aftertaste with this one. It might be better if this was available as non-diet. I guess it kind of is if you were to mix Fanta Peach and Fanta Citrus... but good luck finding those two.

Diet Dr Pepper Cherry Chocolate - This tasted very familiar to me. In fact, it tastes like Faygo's old Diet Chocolate Creme with a cherry flavor added. The chocolate is definitely present in this beverage as it almost overpowers the cherry. (This smells like a Tootsie Roll when pouring it into a glass!) I cannot detect any Dr Pepper flavor in this beverage. There is not really an aftertaste with this beverge that I can detect, which considering the flavor combination, is a good thing. I am not sure what this would be like as a regular soda.

Tropicana Diet Orangeade - Very drinkable beverage. The orange taste was clean and I didn't feel like I was drinking the chemicalized orange-drink-of-the-future. I didn't notice the infamous sweetner presence or aftertaste. The beverage also had a light mouth feel, but not light enough to make this a bottled "Crystal Light."

Fanta Birch Beer - Why Coca-Cola doesn't bottle this is far beyond my comprehension. This is definitely one of the better birch beers I have ever tasted; it could only be made better if it had cane sugar. It has a smooth, but not overpowering birch flavor so it doesn't feel like I am drinking a stomach pain remedy. The taste is close to Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer, but cleaner. I guess if I want it bad enough, I can get two xtra large ones to put into a bottle to keep, provided it doesn't go flat too fast. Fanta Birch Beer is red in color, a shade brighter than Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. Too few places have this birch beer so I don't get it often, but I know where to find it, so I am partially happy.

Mr Zabe
01-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Excellent job on the reviews.
I enjoyed reading them.:)

treetoptom
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
The convenience store/gas station I stop at occasionally on the way to work on US 301 in Gambrills, MD, now carries Crush in 16 oz. painted-label glass bottles. Orange, Grape, Strawberry, Cherry, Pineapple & Fruit Punch. I bought a Cherry (good, but not as good as Cheerwine or Almond Smash), Fruit Punch (again, good, but not as good as Tahitian Treat, IMO) and Pineapple (top notch, easily better than Fanta or Suburban. Maybe the best pineapple soda I’ve had). My brother tried to talk me into sampling a “Basil Seed Drink” he found at the local H-Mart but I wasn’t up for it. Maybe when I’m feeling a little more adventurous.

scum1
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I did try this one myself. Really you could hardly taste any Pomegranate flavor. Pretty much tasted like 7up dyed red.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
-Sprite (in small glass bottles from Mexico): nasty; didn't taste like Sprite at all; was supposed to be sugar-sweetened

Did anyone else get to try anything new?

Are you kidding me??? I tried both, the american and the mexican, and the mexican Sprite tastes better than the american one!, wasn't that Sprite you tried from another latin american country?

DrPprLvr
01-03-2008, 04:06 AM
My family was able to try some different drinks over the Christmas holiday:

-Pangle Heimers Gourmet Blush: my wife and kids liked it, but I didn't care for it; tastes like ginger ale mixed with grape juice (and I don't care for either one of those)
you don't care for the "wife and kids" or "ginger ale (and) grape juice"? :p

I did get to try a few over the holiday season:
Fanta Birch Beer - Why Coca-Cola doesn't bottle this is far beyond my comprehension. This is definitely one of the better birch beers I have ever tasted; it could only be made better if it had cane sugar. It has a smooth, but not overpowering birch flavor so it doesn't feel like I am drinking a stomach pain remedy. The taste is close to Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer, but cleaner. I guess if I want it bad enough, I can get two xtra large ones to put into a bottle to keep, provided it doesn't go flat too fast. Fanta Birch Beer is red in color, a shade brighter than Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. Too few places have this birch beer so I don't get it often, but I know where to find it, so I am partially happy.
I really like the Stewart's Birch beer. We got a shipment about a year ago by mistake and we don't even carry that particular flavor. So we all drank it. (woulda cost more to send a single pallet back than to just write it off) I only wish we carried it in North FL. :rolleyes:

CitrusCola
01-03-2008, 06:49 AM
You're right. That Sprite was not from Mexico. I had assumed that since the store that the Sprite came from specialized in products from Mexico, that it must be from Mexico. While the bottle had little information on it, the mice type on the side of the cap indicated that it was bottled in Honduras. I need to go back to that store and see where all of their other glass-bottled drinks (they had Pepsi, Coke, Sprite, and 7-Up) came from.

CitrusCola
01-07-2008, 06:54 AM
I went back to that store where I purchased the glass-bottled Sprite. Most of the bottles of Sprite that they were selling were from Honduras (like the bad-tasting sample I'd bought over the holidays), but there were a few from Mexico mixed in. The 7-Up that they had was bottled in Ecuador. The Coke in glass bottles was from Mexico. The Pepsi samples that they had were from two places. The Pepsi bottles with the newer logo were all from Mexico. The remaining Pepsi bottles had the old 1960's "Pepsi-Cola" logo (with the newer logo on the cap) and were bottled in Ecuador.

Mr Zabe
01-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Are the Mexican Pepsi sweetened with cane sugar?
Are any of the imported soda pops sweetened with cane sugar?

CitrusCola
01-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Most of the drinks had stickers on them (for import purposes, I would guess) listing the ingredients. The ones from Mexico all said "corn syrup and/or sugar," while the ones from Honduras and Ecuador listed "sugar." Some of the bottles from Mexico (the Coke products) listed "azucar" ("sugar") in the Spanish list of ingredients.

1tinder
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Where did you find Fanta Birch Beer? I fell for this at the Philly Connection in Houston and they seem to be closing down here.

Tech_Guy
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I have seen Fanta Birch Beer at Roy Rogers in Cumberland, MD and Bayside Pizza in Wildwood Crest, NJ.

I think Fanta Birch Beer can be found at most standalone Roy Rogers locations. I typically do NOT see Fanta Birch Beer at a Roy Rogers that is part of a toll road service plaza.