PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Scam from Benin

trthomas
01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
If you guys recieve any emails from this guy, they are scams, and hopefully bevnet will block the use of bevnet to be seen in certain countries. These crooks target americans with promises how they want to purchase large quantites of your products, and so egar to purchase without knowing anything about your products. This is the first email I got from a scam artist in Africa, and very sure this wont be the last, they are going to destroy this site just like they did ec21.com, alibaba.com, and countless others with spam, scams, that has cost Americans Millions of Dollars.

BIOND BEVERAGES SARL
C/127 MISSEBO
COTONOU
BENIN-REPUBLIC
WEST AFRICA
TEL: 00229-93235037
FAX: 00229-21311171
Email: biondbev@yahoo.fr
ATTN: MR PIERRE EDOUARD/ Director

PLEASE BEVNET BLOCK THE USE OF THIS SITE IN AFRICAN COUNTRIES THAT HAS A HIGH RATE OF SCAMMERS.

DudeMan
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
ALL inquiries from Benin are scams.

greg
02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
How many times does it have to be said " If it seems to good to be true then it probably is".

The only way these guys scam you is if you let them scam you. Most people don't do their proper dilegence when investigating a company that comes out of nowhere and wants a large order.
I for one, and most others I know, always require a CC # or Cashiers Check/MO on the order when going over sees, furthermore, I do not ship the product until the credit card purchase is authorized as valid from the card issuer. As another precaution I am responsible for the product until it gets to the designated export port. Once the fright forwarder has signed off on the shipment it is no longer my responsibility, This helps to prevent fraud if you get this far.

Now, there are many legitmate beverage businesses in Africa. Just read the trade journals and you will see how large the market is. You don't need to have Bevnet be the police officer and block the site from some of those countries on the Continent, you need to work to protect yourself.

Furthermore, How can you blame "scammers" for ruining Alibaba....check out this article about how strong that company is.
ABC News: Alibaba: Nipping at Google's Heels? (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3826855&page=1)

BevNET
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
For the record, we have a nice little warning (lifted from Craigslist who also has this problem) that goes on top of all communications sent to beverage companies via this site...

Beyond that, it's impossible to block every dishonest person from this site. Africa might be the most publicized source of these scams, but we've also seen US citizens try to pull beverage scams as well.

cheetah
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep I got that or one like it in Australia month or two ago. if you have a website they gona find you. its the beverage industries nigerian scam.