PDA

View Full Version : Energy drink launch formula

bigbottom
01-08-2008, 11:49 AM
We have all been in this business for some time and have seen our share of ED come and go. But my question to the board is what have you seen, heard or have implemented, that has made a difference in getting these drinks sold, to distributors, retailrs and eventually consumers?

Is it free goods? Equipment? What works?

NEED-ENERGY
01-09-2008, 01:22 AM
For one thing, just a cool name does not seem to work anymore.
But then, 'red yellow tail monkey' sounds interesting.:D

Nick Laugher
01-09-2008, 10:08 AM
The best plan is to have a drink that's GOOD.
haha.

greg
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
You must have a drink that is different. There are too many RB knockoffs out there. A different formula that the consumer will recognize as different is important. Furthermore, an Energy Drink MUST provide energy. The cool name and graphics may get them to buy it once but the energy, or the "function", of the drink will have to be present for them to buy it again.
Monster is basically RB with a differtent flavor, but what they did was take the Pepsi approach to Coke from 100 years ago: Twice the product for the same price. Now it is harder to do because that trick has been played out. Almost everyone is in 16oz now. There must be some differentiation to your product other than just the same ingredient profile with a different marketing demographic approach, i.e. Throwdown.

fusion
01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Also, don't try to be gimmicky. There are plenty of failed energy drinks filling the shelves over at Big Lots with silly names and silly can graphics.

Like greg says, the drink must provide energy. At this point in the game, I don't think you can just throw a bunch of sugar and caffeine in a can and call it an energy drink.

And you need to differentiate yourself from the rest of the me-toos out there. Some drinks have went after extreme sports types, some use celebrities, and so on.

The market leaders (with the exception of RB) are constantly evolving, with new flavors that attract more people to the energy drink segment. You won't be able to just throw one thing out there and make a billion dollars. You also need to know the distributors you are signing up with, so your drink won't be something that gets pushed down to the bottom of their list.

bigbottom
01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
OK, so lets say we have a great name, different package, different formula(Taste is great). Now we go to the distribution network what do they want, what works?

As an example we are selling at $18.00 per case of 24 retailing at $1.50 to have the price difference. then we are giving away one counter top cooler for every pallet purchased?

Of course we have sticker, sell sheets, poster, web-site, free sampling alotment? What else does it take?

bigbottom
01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Has anyone seen this piece on the today show last week?

http://video.ivillage.com/player/?id=191381&ivNPA=1&sky=ggl|ivl|vi|today1||s#videoid=194164

greg
01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Has anyone seen this piece on the today show last week?

http://video.ivillage.com/player/?id=191381&ivNPA=1&sky=ggl|ivl|vi|today1||s#videoid=194164

You come on here and ask for legitmate advice on how to best sell your ED into the markeplace and then waste my time having me check out a video about Nicole Kidman being pregnant and that Train wreck better known as Britney Spears???????????????????????

bigbottom
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Greg,

To the right of that nicole video is the video clip called the "buzz on caffeine". You seem very quick to jump, maybe you should lay off the caffeine man! Follow the link to the right second clip down and walla there it is. Finally some one trys putting a positive spin on ED drinks, Moderation my good man!

greg
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Greg,

To the right of that nicole video is the video clip called the "buzz on caffeine". You seem very quick to jump, maybe you should lay off the caffeine man! Follow the link to the right second clip down and walla there it is. Finally some one trys putting a positive spin on ED drinks, Moderation my good man!

I thought I was watching a dog and pony show.....I didn't realize I was an unwilling participant.
If you wanted me to jump through hoops to watch the freaking video you should have told me up front that the video you linked to was not the video you intended for us to watch but was merely fodder to pass the time until I figured out to peruse the site until I found something remotely having to do about the beverage industry.
Or , you could have just linked to the CORRECT video instead.

Do you wish to try again????????

NEED-ENERGY
01-10-2008, 02:12 PM
We have all been in this business for some time and have seen our share of ED come and go. But my question to the board is what have you seen, heard or have implemented, that has made a difference in getting these drinks sold, to distributors, retailrs and eventually consumers?

Is it free goods? Equipment? What works?

bigbottom;

What is your brand name? Perhaps we could offer better advise.

bigbottom
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Guys , I am only trying to find out what has worked on the street level for energy drinks? I am a distributor of many brands and have had several energy brands come at me with various proposals and just trying to get a consensous from the board in other parts of the country as to what you have seen heard or tried that actually works.

Greg, anything other than a straight line is all you can follow then I would say, I am not really interested in your opinion as your not the out of the box thinker this question deserves. So don't bother watsing your time.

I think this is really a fundimental question that could actually do a lot of people good if the rest of the class chooses to even share.

greg
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Greg, anything other than a straight line is all you can follow then I would say, I am not really interested in your opinion as your not the out of the box thinker this question deserves. So don't bother watsing your time.

I think this is really a fundimental question that could actually do a lot of people good if the rest of the class chooses to even share.

I don't think you realize how much I love to help people on this board achieve their objectives. I have been in this business a long time and I understand the way it works, and just as in real life the beverage business works in the same manner: A direct approach complete with clarity and understanding is always the best approach.
As many have known me on this board for some time I think they can attest that considering what I do , my brands, and my approaches, I am definelty an "out of the box" thinker as they say.

If you wish to play games and have people jump through hoops to accomodate your mode of thinking that is fine with me. However, don't expect people to make your life easier if you are not willing to make it easier for them.

BouncZ
01-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Try a different delivery system like we have. To date we have 150+ bars serving our product in kegs and growing every month. If the product taste is good, the price point is attractive and the delivery system is bartender friendly then it offers the on premise scene an alternative to the big boys.

Good Luck!

BouncZ
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Greg Happy New Year to you! how are you?

I know i asked this before and you told me but i can't recall-are you from Florida? What company are you with?

Best Regards,

Cameron

amyers
01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
What is NRG mean? I know I've seen NRG chips?

http://www.energyfiend.com/wp-content/chips1.jpg

bigbottom
01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Greg, I realy meant no offense to you other than this: When I sent the link it had just worked otherwise I would not have sent it period. My purpose was to send information to the board not disinformation. Within the time I saw it which it had been posted for a few days already and the time I posted it they moved it to the right as being still viewable just not number one. I did not knowingly and or purposefully try and mislead you or even for a second try and waste your time. I feel strange even trying to explain this but I figured I owed it to you to explain that I am not some jerk, trying to be a hard ass.

But it was just to the right of what was viewed the whole time "buzz on caffiene".

Now that we have that out of the way hopefully you will now help us all figure out the magic formula to getting energy on the shelf and into consumers hands.

ED in Kegs that is absoulutly brilliant, no packaging to worry about, fits into the existing system and you are in the game instantly. You are a gueniuss my good man. Do you have your own tap handles?

Now if we can get more people like you to open up and tell us there success stories that would benifit us all.

The world is a vampire sent down to change!

greg
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey Greg Happy New Year to you! how are you?

I know i asked this before and you told me but i can't recall-are you from Florida? What company are you with?

Best Regards,

Cameron

Where will you be come late February????? Vegas????? If you aren't you should be!!!!!! There is a huge opportunity for you there.
G

greg
01-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Greg, I realy meant no offense to you other than this: When I sent the link it had just worked otherwise I would not have sent it period. My purpose was to send information to the board not disinformation. Within the time I saw it which it had been posted for a few days already and the time I posted it they moved it to the right as being still viewable just not number one. I did not knowingly and or purposefully try and mislead you or even for a second try and waste your time. I feel strange even trying to explain this but I figured I owed it to you to explain that I am not some jerk, trying to be a hard ass.

But it was just to the right of what was viewed the whole time "buzz on caffiene".

Now that we have that out of the way hopefully you will now help us all figure out the magic formula to getting energy on the shelf and into consumers hands.

ED in Kegs that is absoulutly brilliant, no packaging to worry about, fits into the existing system and you are in the game instantly. You are a gueniuss my good man. Do you have your own tap handles?

Now if we can get more people like you to open up and tell us there success stories that would benifit us all.

The world is a vampire sent down to change!

OK, cool, What was your questiuon again????????

I am actually confused.....Are you a distributor( you mentioned you have many brands) or a manufacturer( you asked a few questions form the manufacturers perspective) Or both?

Every brand is different. If it is a low cost /low margin brand the Co-Op POS may be best. If it is High Cost/ High Margin product free goods usually does the trick. If you are low cost high margin free goods makes sense as well.

Feet in the street and or heals with wheels....meaning Manufactures support with people for kickoffs and sampling is a great approach. However, if you are an established distributor keep in mind you are the salesman, do not rely on the manufacturer to sell for you, then the customer becomes the maunufactures and your salesman may lose valuable credibility that has taken years to establish. The manufacturer is there for support and to aid in the sale, not take it over.

See, I'm not so hard to deal with once we get on the same page!LOL

bigbottom
01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Bonzi is doing a big job on the Bag n Box energy here in Chicago and there are several other brands that have jumped on this band wagon across the country. I think one of the distributors said it was like $95.00 for a 5 gallon box?

Also saw a pimp juice distriubutor in a pimped van, the man in a van and he says it gets tougher and tougher.

Like ricky bobby says either your first or your last, I guess?

I have seen many drinks come and go on the street level give it away, give it away only to go away? Coolah is all but gone and I thought it was pretty good and had a very good distributor?

Does any one know if glass bottles are selling any energy other than Bawls? Like cherry pop? or SOL? Monster has additionally dropped their price in this market again, Sams sells a 24 pk @ 26.00? The red bull 16oz is just sitting no one is willing to pay the asking price at wholesale of $55.00 per case? Maybe its a case of to much of a good thing?

bigbottom
01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Also forgot to mention that this Verve drink is $72.00 per case of 24 plus shipping? Ouch!! The verve energy name is owned by "Whole foods", these guys are borrowing it until told to stop which will let them build a brand with a credibile name then do the name change just like cocaine did just under different circumstances. Just another strategy. MLM is another route being tapped by many who are left holding a warehouse full of product that just isnt selling like, Verve, Crave, ACT and the original MLM XS Energy which sold 6 million cans through quickstar"amyway" not bad if you can get it.

greg
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Also forgot to mention that this Verve drink is $72.00 per case of 24 plus shipping? Ouch!! The verve energy name is owned by "Whole foods", these guys are borrowing it until told to stop which will let them build a brand with a credibile name then do the name change just like cocaine did just under different circumstances. Just another strategy. MLM is another route being tapped by many who are left holding a warehouse full of product that just isnt selling like, Verve, Crave, ACT and the original MLM XS Energy which sold 6 million cans through quickstar"amyway" not bad if you can get it.

Could someone please explain to me the concept behind building a brand name only to change it at a later date when it has been accepted????? Why would Whole Foods, a well respected specialty retailer "borrow" a name and build the brand on the name knowing full well it will have to change oars in midstream??? It doesn't make sense to me.
Cocaine had to change names, it was stupid and shortsighted to begin with.
MLM marketing is only beneficial for the manufacturer, and it is usually short lived. I have followed MLM Energy Drink sales and they all say the same. Millions Sold...yeah , but to the independent operator that has them sitting in his garage. None of them are in retail outlets. Moreover, I have never seen one in someones hand( other than at trade shows) none in the recycler, none on the side of the street, nowhere! You know you are getting some traction when you start seeing your empty product bottle as litter on the side of the road........Ugly, but true!!!!!!

bigbottom
01-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Greg the only facts I can tell you on both subjects is this.

1.The Verve name I had tried unsuccessfully to acquire the name since 2003 till 2006, spent a tremendous amount of money and was repeatedly denied the name due to the fact whole foods has an energy bar under the same name .Market confusion they say, Maybe because they are calling it "Vemma Verve" they are sliding under the radar but it is just a matter of time,court money etc... I suppose. Whatever the case it is still 72.00 per case and that is hard to swallow.

2. AS far as the XS story, There are 7 billion people on the planet and I have personally seen the numbers from Quickstar it is very real believe it or not. Maybe a little more dumpster diving and you will find one?

Cheers:)

greg
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Greg the only facts I can tell you on both subjects is this.

2. AS far as the XS story, There are 7 billion people on the planet and I have personally seen the numbers from Quickstar it is very real believe it or not. Maybe a little more dumpster diving and you will find one?

Cheers:)

Well I can fill a truck trailer full of product and pull 3 ft from the dock and call it sold, a la CCE, but that doesn't mean squat.
Seriously, 7 billion people on the planet and I have never seen an XS energy drink in public other than at a trade show and the person selling it was an IBO trying to sell it but there were no takers. As a matter of fact, I can go to Expo West or Expo East and see 3-4 booths set up by IBO's.
I even have a buddy that signed up and he just piled it in his garage. He couldn't give it away.

Julieanne
05-18-2008, 06:41 PM
The Verve costs a little more than most energy drinks because it's a dietary supplement with the energy component added to it. For those who want to have optimum nutrition each day, they can take the verve drink and have the best of both - fast acting energy and nutrition.

Also, these days there are very few "Independent operators" who keep products in their garage. Nowadays, a good mlm company does all the shipping for their "independent operators", so there's no need for keeping stocks of products. Distributors order the products when a customer wants them, and the customer gets their own automatic shipment from the company, if he or she wants the product every month.

Although, in the case of the Verve energy drink, a lot of fitness centers, health centers, and some famous basketball teams are retailing the drink. In those cases, they are buying in bulk and selling it from a fridge, to their customers each day.