PDA

View Full Version : did VAULT flop?

popologist
01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
after it's initial push a year ago, i hardly ever see it anymore.

granted, i live in NYC where shelf space is limited, so i don't see a lot of things most of you probably see.

what's the word on vault? is it still selling or has it flopped? does coke even advertise for it anymore?

Mr Zabe
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
I see it in the stores with a trend of reduced facings.
I have been told by a few of our Coca Cola experts that it
does sell. I do not see it as having a great market presence.
I never see it on end cap displays or feathered on weekly hot
sales (POP and weekly add promotions).

greg
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
As far as a replacement beverage for Mt Dew, yes, I believe it flopped. As far as a volume seller I would say it was successful, from an initial marketing/sales standpoint, but not in longterm pull through.

Coke does what it normally does when it goes head to head with Pepsi. A great initial push to really get things going and then a quick fade away in hopes that the drink will sell on its "momentum". If Coke is ever really going to attack Mt Dew with a real contender it will have to accept the fact that it must do more than spend major ad dollars in 2 consecutive quarters to maintain any real serious competition to the Dew.
Although the marketing effort was grand it didn't hold up over the long haul. Coke had their marketing concepts drawn up for a short quick burst of sales volume and then moved on to something more exciting: COKE BLAK! LOL.

CitrusCola
01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I had lunch at a Chic-fil-a yesterday that used to serve Vault from their fountains. Much to my surprise, I found that the Vault had been replaced with Mello Yello. They had also replaced a fruit punch drink with Barq's Root Beer. The lady I spoke with said that Vault and the fruit punch had not been selling very well.

amyers
01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Ughh..

No, VAULT hasn't flopped and nor will it flop. It's a great product and personally here in GA - I think it sells very well. Also, no, it doesn't have the same exposure that Mountain Dew has, it's been around for ages - but VAULT is a very young products, it's only 3 years old and it continues to get older and I have faith that it will not follow the path of other products like Coke Blak, etc.

Back in July 2006, just a year after it came out here in market testing, it was huge - it was growing more and more each day. Fact (about our market from July 2006):

* VAULT is the 7th highest volume SKU in any Coca-Cola product packaging (including 20oz, 2-liters, 6-packs, 12-packs, 18-packs, etc.)
* VAULT is the 4th highest volume SKU of any 20oz Coca-Cola product packaging.
* Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated of Columbus, GA has sold over 61,000+ cases of 20oz (1,464,000 packages) since inception (late last year).
* Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated of Columbus, GA sells over 5,000+ cases (120,000 packages) each month, with a steady growth rate.

CCBCC does this by not only introducing a product but standing behind the product like other bottlers might not. If you live somewhere that doesn't have an increased amount of VAULT, well - you either (a) live in a strong MD market (b) your bottler doesn't care to promote it, all they care about is getting the product out there and leaving.

I can say personally that CCBCC stands behind VAULT 100% and will never leave post, they have VAULT ads on the back of every side-loader truck, they run billboard ads every single month, they have a fleet of CXT trucks owned and operated by them that travel to each state every week and promote their products, they run 99 cent promotions in all markets almost every month (if not lower), they have VAULT vending machines all over town, they produce promotional packaging such as 24oz bottles, 16oz cans, 18pk cans, etc, and look.. it's a success because they believe in it.

Of course, some of you will have the natural reply "Yeah, well - it's just selling well in your neighborhood" but I'm not talking about my neighborhood, CCBCC in all their territories are selling VAULT like crazy. In the long run, we'll see how this plays out.

--amyers

lordmadone
01-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Out in my PBG territory and the ones close to it here in hampton roads..we have been giving CCE(the number one coke bottler) an ass whooping with the mt dew. This is not even a "huge" mountain dew area it is just that the Vault is NOT selling. My apologies..it does sell..when your giving it away for free..haha(and trust me..they forced out TONS of 20oz cases initially and set up rounder displays of it..at like 50cents per bottle and STILL couldn't sell it all..cases of it in a lot of their stores went out of date before it sold). As Greg said..coke made a HUGE push..and kept it strong for about twoish quarters..then plateu..decline then another big half ass push with red blitz..then plateu and then decline. Mountain dew drinkers are far too brand loyal. The ones that actually drunk vault usually only go for it because its cheaper..not because its the superior product. Vault is not going to see much if any increase anymore..mello yello was much better tasting anyway..they should switch because in the near future vault will be like mello yello with one facing until they come up with another imitation mt.dew csd.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
In Vegas it was really hard to find it! I only saw it available at Wal-Mart, at the fast food area at Meadows Mall, at Coca-Cola Store, at the souvenir store next to MGM Grand, and the vending machines at the MGM self parking lot... BTW I drank one bottle during the Coke store and I brought one home... :D

Bash
01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Vault has been selling well for me and it does a phenomenal job in the summer since my store is by the beach. The only thing is that I don't think it would sell that well if the 99 cent deal had been removed. I've never tasted it but those who drink it buy 2 and 3 bottles at a time. The vault red does even better. I see more youth drinking it than anyone else.

amyers
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Bash, where is your store located?

bigrich
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
In Indianapolis we still have Vault. It no longer has shelf space like it once did. Mello Yello has about the same amount of space.

mjb1124
01-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I haven't been paying THAT close attention, but it seems like Vault has maintained quite a strong presence here in the NYC area, perhaps on par with Sprite. It's even found its way into new places, such as White Castle. And this is an area that hasn't carried Mello Yello at any point that I can remember, aside from the rare fountain.

BluejacketT
01-23-2008, 02:54 AM
We still have Vault here in Muskogee. It's been selling well here.

KingOfDiamonds
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I noticed yesterday that in a turkey hill near my house they didnt have the regular thye just had the red blitz stuff so I dunno whats up with that.

popologist
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
it sounds like results are mixed and, maybe, regional.

do you still see tv ads for vault? maybe they're just targeting a small niche audience (like young guys).

Chad.
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
they just added vault into the fountains at st. louis area, white castles wendy's and burger kings so i'd say it seems to be doing well if all these restraunts are adding, actually wendy's has had it for about a year but most were closed in the st. louis area.

lordmadone
01-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Just to add to it talking with a lot of coke account reps they even agree. It isn't selling for anything..billboards use to dominate my area with it..and even when I took a trip to TN ..in one of larger areas(Nashville) ..it was nowhere to be seen and I didn't go in any grocery chains but on bill boards and white castles and other regular coke accounts it was non existant.

popologist
01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
as someone else pointed out, coke often gives new products a big push in the beginning and then soon abandons them.

coke zero is the one recent exception... and they just got lucky on that one... because it tastes so good and it spread by good word-of-mouth.

if coke really wants to take on mt dew, they're going to have to commit for years and years. so far, they don't seem that interested in doing that. when's the last time you saw a vault commercial?

lordmadone
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
about six months ago I heard a vault commercial..their television ad with the scarecrow was pretty funny..

Mr Zabe
01-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Adding my second thought of " Two Cents" LOL
Lordmadone....welcome to our friendly home away from home.:) }

Vault 8.5 out of 10 on soda pop quality.

Vault 1.5 out of 10 on concept and marketing.

Vault Never could nor will cut into MD's market share.

Vault IMO (I do not hate Coke products) Vault is slowly on it's way to RIP.

Vault Yes Coca Cola has once again poorly managed a new brand that had some
upward potential.

jacksmom
01-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I still buy it and like it. I LOVE the Vault Red Blitz - I just wish we had that one in cans here. I think it would sell really well. We have Vault pretty much all over the place here in Utah. In response to the comments that Vault is on its way to RIP - if, and when, that does happen I'm sure it will automatically become more popular than it is now and you'll see fansites dedicated to "Bring Back the Vault." Personally, I always find that I want something more as soon as I can't have it!!!

amyers
01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
as someone else pointed out, coke often gives new products a big push in the beginning and then soon abandons them.

coke zero is the one recent exception... and they just got lucky on that one... because it tastes so good and it spread by good word-of-mouth.

if coke really wants to take on mt dew, they're going to have to commit for years and years. so far, they don't seem that interested in doing that. when's the last time you saw a vault commercial?

I will challenge that, whens the last time you saw a Coke Zero commercial? Exactly, you haven't - I've never seen a Coke Zero commercial. I do hear VAULT ads on the radio every week on all the local radio stations.

CCBCC is pushing VAULT and they will continue to push it - I've been to many different markets in the southeast (GA, FL, AL, and SC) and they all have great VAULT presents - but like I said, it doesn't work everywhere.

amyers
01-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Another thought:

If VAULT is not the answer to Coke's MD problem - then why is Coke slowly but surely axing Mello Yello in fountains and replacing it with VAULT and on top of that - why are they ONLY installing VAULT in new sets of fountain drinks at new business?

Wouldn't make sense to pump money into a product if it was just going to switch back to Mello Yello at a later time. VAULT isn't going to RIP - it's going to grow and it will continue to be the better of the two as far as citrus soda goes.

Believe me or not, I don't care. Only time will tell..

greg
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Another thought:

If VAULT is not the answer to Coke's MD problem - then why is Coke slowly but surely axing Mello Yello in fountains and replacing it with VAULT and on top of that - why are they ONLY installing VAULT in new sets of fountain drinks at new business?

Wouldn't make sense to pump money into a product if it was just going to switch back to Mello Yello at a later time. VAULT isn't going to RIP - it's going to grow and it will continue to be the better of the two as far as citrus soda goes.

Believe me or not, I don't care. Only time will tell..

The reason they are replacing the Mello Yello with Vault is because Coke had to make a decision. They do not want to be left without an offering in the Lemon Lime/Citrus Soda/Energy Category. Mello yello is an old name but if you introduce a "new" offering to the public and still hold onto the old brand what are you telling the consumer? "Hey, we really don't believe in our new brand so we are going to hold onto both and split our consumers choices until we figure out what to do".

I realize you work for CCBCC and you have a strong sense of dedication to your brands, which is commendable, however, you must step back and look at the brand nationally , not just regionally, when making an assessment of how well it is doing against its intended competitior Mtn Dew. While working for PBG in Denver, Atlanta, and West Palm Beach I know that the Atlanta market unit sold way more Mtn Dew than any where else I worked, as a matter of fact the Southeast Business Unit sold more Mtn Dew than the other reigions in the US, so perhaps that is why you see good numbers coming from the CBCCC.
But, the rest of the country just doesn't have the pull through like the Southeast.

popologist
01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
i've actually seen quite a few coke zero commercials. i haven't seen any vault commercials since the superbowl.

but i'm not saying they don't exist. i was just asking WHERE do they exist? (i.e., is it a niche beverage mostly advertised on MTV or something?)

mofizz
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Vault gets its butt kicked here in Missouri everyday. You see a little regular Vault and Red Blitz here and there, but Vault Zero is hardly anywhere. If you do come across any it is out of date. Dew and Diet Dew on the other hand continue to grow. Not so much with Code Red.

Mr Zabe
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I watch a lot of TV. LOL
I watch all the major sports,MTV,VH1,ESPN,Golf Channel
and so on. Granted this is just my limited observation of
being a TV freak LOL, I can count the fingers on my two
hands to amount of Vault TV adds I have seen since Vault
was rolled out.

popologist
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I watch a lot of TV. LOL
I watch all the major sports,MTV,VH1,ESPN,Golf Channel
and so on. Granted this is just my limited observation of
being a TV freak LOL, I can count the fingers on my two
hands to amount of Vault TV adds I have seen since Vault
was rolled out.

you mean you actually need two hands to count them all... ;)

Bigjon9981
01-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Of course I wish Vault would flop so I wouldnt have to search for Mello Yello, it would just be at every store I stop at. Also I could start collecting the coke points off of Mello Yello. BTW why didnt Coke put the codes on the Mello Yello caps...I mean they have it on every other product it seems.

amyers
01-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Of course I wish Vault would flop so I wouldnt have to search for Mello Yello, it would just be at every store I stop at. Also I could start collecting the coke points off of Mello Yello. BTW why didnt Coke put the codes on the Mello Yello caps...I mean they have it on every other product it seems.

Because of VAULT, I mean.. I'm just saying.. ;)

the saint
01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Vault doesn't do very well where I am at. It generally has 2-3 facing of regular and 1-2 of red. Zero is non existant for the most part (in 20 oz cold vaults anyways I am not too sure about grocery store sets anymore) Dew has usually a whole shelf of regular and another shelf split between diet,red and livewire. Vault carries a $.99 retail to Dews $1.39 and dew still kicks the crap out of vault. I also tend to agree that while it had a huge burst into the market coke has given up on it and it is hanging around until their next offering that will kill off Mt Dew share.

I remeber reading an article years ago about mello yello and one of the reasons it stated that coke doesn't really push MY is because the category has went towards extreme sports marketing and coke doesn't think that MY can compete well with dew because the name has "mello" in it and the people who are being marketed towards those type drinks aren't "mellow" I got a kick out of the article because as far reaching as it was in that concept, that is just the way that the suits in the big office tend to think sometimes.

Pepsi suits are all about tava competing with "premium" sodas along the lines of Jones, and stewarts etc that were in glass bottles, contain cane sugar, blah blah blah. Tava WAS going to be a premium bev in glass, cane sugar, blah blah blah. It is rolling out of the warehouses now in plastic bottles, due to cost effectiveness, and I am not sure and could be wrong, I haven't heard or read a bottle (it hasn't made it to us for selling/ forcing out yet) with artificial junk sweeteners as a diet, . Now I am not a rocket scientist or one of the suits but that isn't competing with "premium beverages in glass bottles containing cane sugar" that is putting another bottle of junk on the shelf hoping some people will buy it.

amyers
01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Here VAULT has a whole row of VAULT, 1/2 row of Red Blitz, and the other half is Vault Zero and sometimes it's even more.

jl1718
01-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Pulled my fair share of out of date. CCBCC is pushing, another push again here recently, along with coke zero.

amyers
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Looks like CCE is pushing it just alittle as well:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/IMG00311.jpg

lordmadone
01-27-2008, 08:58 PM
not to burst your bubble buddy but one fridge/porto-cooler does not a push make. 79cent mountain dews I would make three full ones haha ;-).

amyers
01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
How is offering a product for .79 cents not trying to push the product? I think that's pushing a product pretty hard-- whatever you say though.

Obviously you're a fan of Mountain Dew, and I'm one of VAULT.

lordmadone
01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I guess I am just giving you a tough time..I dont like mountain dew much for taste..I will drink it but I am a die hard code red fan though. Out of curiosity where did you get that picture? Haven't seen anything like that in forever...

fusion
01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
In all fairness, MDX completely flopped, and it was more like Vault than Dew is like Vault.

amyers
01-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I guess I am just giving you a tough time..I dont like mountain dew much for taste..I will drink it but I am a die hard code red fan though. Out of curiosity where did you get that picture? Haven't seen anything like that in forever...

The picture of the cooler? Saw it in West Point, GA at a local grocery store. One of my favorite stores of all time, they have just about everything under the sun.

BhamCokeman
01-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Vault is still doing really well here. It's mandatory on your 12 pack and 2 liter displays, and racks. Cold vault space is still a whole shelf, with 2 facings of Red, 5 Vault, and 2 Vault Zero. Of course we push it pricing wise. We have an EDLP line of 99 cents drinks for all contract stores(Vault, Yellow, Pibb, and Fantas). We know we need that pricing to compete with Dew. We'd be fools to not think so. Dont know us for that though. We could run Classic 79 to 99 and absolutly burry Pepsi. We don't do that though because we know they'd come back with a Dew that price and burry Vault. I rarely Pull OOD's for Vault(or Coke Zero for a matter of fact. Zerp is rocking). Maybe Vault is your joke, just like Sierra Mist is ours.LOL

CitrusCola
01-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Does anyone know why the folks at Coca-Cola keep changing their minds about how to take on Mountain Dew? First they came out with Mello Yello. About 20 years later, they decide that they are going to replace Mello Yello with Surge. Surge starts out strong and then falters and gets discontinued. Next comes Vault to replace Surge. Mello Yello is still available in markets where it has a loyal customer base, but the folks at Coke keep hinting that Mello Yello will soon be phased out in favor of Vault.

Frankly, I think the real problem with Mello Yello/Surge/Vault is a lack of focus by the Coca-Cola Company. Mountain Dew was a joke ("hillbilly p__s," as my grandfather called it) until it was relabeled and its image was changed in the 1970's. In fact, Mountain Dew was a knockoff of Sun-Drop. Read the last paragraph from this page:

Dr. Enuf, Tri-Cites Beverages (http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/drenuf.html)

lordmadone
01-29-2008, 09:40 AM
In all fairness, MDX completely flopped, and it was more like Vault than Dew is like Vault.

haha ..agreed. Dont know why they made it in 14 oz bottles either..I didn't like the taste too much or "effects" but it was never pushed like they tried to push vault. We had some runs at vault with MDX tho hah.

Hey bhamcokeman ..while you laugh at sierra mist as your joking..keep laughing while nationally it keeps gaining on Sprite and has the number two national lemon/lime calorie soda category. I know for a fact in 2006 it gained market share on sprite...and pepsi continues to support it and keeps building out promotion for it every year and lets not mention the delicious sierra mist with cranberry that everyone keeps asking me about that sells out in no time. :)

Citrus Cola because they half ass it at the corporate level..they dont keep nurturing their baby into maturity..they carry it around for a year babying it and then throw it in a dumpster...

BhamCokeman
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Sensative about your brands arent you lord? You can flash them national numbers all you want, but all I know around here is Buffalo Rock does nothing but pick Mist up out of date. They actually wish they had stuck with 7 up(they didnt make the switch til about a year and half ago). Sprite is big now, but just think of what it will be like in 15 years. I know my kids, and every other kid around, it's all the drink. It grows on them and that is all they want.

amyers
01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe it's just the south, seems that CCBCC and neighboring United in Bham are doing great with their Coke products (VAULT, Sprite, whatever...)

BhamCokeman
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Maybe that's what it is Aaron. We are constantly growing our 20 oz numbers, while it seems everyone else is in decline on that package. Powerade is a monster around here. I have so many store owners that tell me they would not even need Pepsi if it werent for..... Mt Dew. They love our line of products, and frankly do not care for theirs. We outservice them as well. They dont even come close to us on this.

greg
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
............lordmadone wrote" while you laugh at sierra mist as your joking..keep laughing while nationally it keeps gaining on Sprite and has the number two national lemon/lime calorie soda category."

I'll tell you this. If Pepsi drops 7up nationally so that it can promote Sierra Mist in ALL its DC's and isn't at least #2 they should dump it immediately!
The volume alone by Pepsi putting it in all their DC's should easily make it #2 considering 7up had to scramble and find CS distributors( that are not near as strong as Coke and Pepsi) to pick it up.

lordmadone
01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Cokeman to summarize what you said "You can claim all you want nationally but in my small little area of the map it does very well" ..that is a very silly arguement to me. National success is what matters most. Not sensitive about my brands..I admit things suck when they do.

Please release each others lips from your evil coke vice grips from each other..

fusion
01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I think a brand can be considered a success if it only has regional areas of strength. Cheerwine and Sundrop are two that come to mind. And birch beer - as a flavor - in the greater Philadelphia area.

A lot of brands started off small and built themselves up. Boylan's is a good example of that. I think they've outgrown at least two facilities (they started in an area in NJ that I used to live in), and they also use copackers to produce for them.

If Vault only captured 5% of Dew's sales, I would say it's a success.

greg
01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I think a brand can be considered a success if it only has regional areas of strength. Cheerwine and Sundrop are two that come to mind. And birch beer - as a flavor - in the greater Philadelphia area.

A lot of brands started off small and built themselves up. Boylan's is a good example of that. I think they've outgrown at least two facilities (they started in an area in NJ that I used to live in), and they also use copackers to produce for them.

If Vault only captured 5% of Dew's sales, I would say it's a success.

You make a valid argument.....for regional brands. However, we are talking about COCA-COLA. The Worlds leader in CSD Sales. To say that a "majors" brand is doing OK regionally is not seeing the big picture. The marketing effort(dollars) Coke intially throws behind a new product is more than the total sales of Boylans and Cheerwine combined. Coke isn't looking to do well in just the Northeast with a rollout like Vault. They neeed to take it across the whole nation and do well everywhere.
Furthermore, to get just 5% of Dews sales is pathetic. This is Coke we are tallking about.

Mr Zabe
01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
My two cents.
Greg makes a good point.

popologist
01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
My two cents.
Greg makes a good point.

yes he does. i mean, when pepsi slaps a new name on its lemon-lime drinks (no matter how awful), they're almost guaranteed to grab about 25% of sprite's total.

and since MD sells better than sprite now... vault should be more competitive.

the reality is coke doesn't know how to market anymore. they just got really lucky with coke zero, but they almost bungled that too.

MD is a mega-brand and coke thinks they can just throw peanuts at the project and expect it to take off. well, memo to coca-cola... that doesn't work anymore!

lordmadone
01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Greg sure does know the "bizz". Kudos for expanding on my point of "success" which I should have further explained. Anyways, the day I see a person so vault crazy they get a tatoo of the stuff is the day I say its a success..and I have met some insane crazy mt.dew drinkers..those people are so loyal heh.

BhamCokeman
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
So it's ok for one person to talk of how Sierra Mist does good in their region, but not good for two Southern guys to talk about how it still does well down here. Heck, Mello Yello doesnt do great nationwide does it? It's not even in alot of places. Coke might not have originally wanted it to do well just in the South, but hey thats what they might get. For some reason, and this is not to start an argument on here or anything, but I really think some people on here love to see Coca Cola fail. It gets them going. Good for you if that's the case. The Pepsi Sales rep in my area is personally one of my better friends(if I am allowed to say that) I never see many positive reviews either, but hey maybe that's just me. Sorry I had to rant a little.

b0mbtrac
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I hope it flopped, I hated it...ohhhhh...soooooo....much!!!!!

fusion
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
I was being conservative with my 5% figure.

in 2006, Mountain Dew sold 674.3 million cases.

Vault sold 52.6 million that year, including Vault Zero, which is probably no more than 15% of that number.

I honestly don't think you can determine success if a brand is not successful in all parts of the country.

The south is a strong citrus market. Sundrop, Dew, Vault, Mello Yello, and so on. The northeast is a developed tea market. Boston, believe it or not, has the higest per caps for vitaminwater.

But I will agree that Coke has failed Vault (and other brands) by not marketing them enough. You may influence some people who see the 99 price on a soda while they're in the store, but you will get more customers by marketing the brand to them even before they step foot in a store.

greg
02-01-2008, 09:29 AM
So it's ok for one person to talk of how Sierra Mist does good in their region, but not good for two Southern guys to talk about how it still does well down here. Heck, Mello Yello doesnt do great nationwide does it? It's not even in alot of places. Coke might not have originally wanted it to do well just in the South, but hey thats what they might get. For some reason, and this is not to start an argument on here or anything, but I really think some people on here love to see Coca Cola fail. It gets them going. Good for you if that's the case. The Pepsi Sales rep in my area is personally one of my better friends(if I am allowed to say that) I never see many positive reviews either, but hey maybe that's just me. Sorry I had to rant a little.

We are just talkng about whether "Vault" flopped or not. I understand your position, however, we are talking about an International company recognized as the benchmark in the industry. We must take into account the overall performance of the product, not just local or regional.
If we were talking about Cheerwine or Jones soda and you wanted to say how well they do in the South and Northwest repsectively I would definetly take a different approach. Furthermore, If you want to talk about how PEPSI has failed some offering we can talk about that.......SOBE anyone?????( but then again we can talk about MAD River as well).LOL

CitrusCola
02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
I just think that the people at Coca-Cola need to do a better job marketing their products. They seem to want to quickly capture a share of sales from Mountain Dew. That's fine. That's what the free market is all about. The problem, as others have pointed out, is that Coke will give a new product a strong push and then stop advertising it. They don't have to keep putting out high-dollar TV ads; they could shift to lower-cost radio and/or print ads without just abandoning the product.

In my opinion, Coke ought to promote both Vault and Mello Yello. They could advertise Vault as a citrus drink with more bite (like Sun-Drop or Ski) and Mello Yello as a smoother citrus drink (like Mountain Dew). They could even promote them side by side as different ends of the citrus soda spectrum.

Making a Mello Yello Zero and putting their Coke Rewards points on Mello Yello would be nice steps as well.

Oh, and if you want to talk about flops, Pepsi has had its share as well. Remember Teem? Patio?

Tech_Guy
02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
One thing that does indeed upset me about Coke is their lack of any enthusiasm for any of their non-cola products. I have never in my life heard of or encountered a hard-to-find Pepsi product; it seems like most if not all of their products can be had everywhere. While I prefer Coke (and some of their products) to Pepsi, it seems like Coke lacks the confidence in their products that Pepsi has for theirs.

If I wanted Mug Cream Soda, that is no problem. But if I wanted a Barq's Cream Soda (I don't mean the red one), good luck finding it. I too, wish Coke would at least TRY to push their products in more areas and advertise them more. But anymore, Coke's idea of advertising a secondary brand is to print its name on a coupon! Coke is doing better with Vault than Mello Yello. After all, most of the nation is at least getting a chance to try Red Blitz. That could not be said for Mello Yello Cherry, Afterglow, or Melon. I would have loved to try them, but I had no idea they existed until 2 years after they were discontinued. It almost seems like Coke wants to fail. Coke needs to pay attention to Pepsi more. Remember this is coming from a Coke fan!

Is Vault a flop? I cannot say. It is on the store shelves and seems to have remained on the shelves. Success is in the eye of the beholder. (Yes, I prefer Vault to Dew, I think it is smoother and goes down easier.)

ithastabeshasta
02-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, and if you want to talk about flops, Pepsi has had its share as well. Remember Teem? Patio?

I don't thik I would consider Teem a flop since it was produced from 1959 until the mid to late 1970's possibly longer, Nor would I consider Patio a flop as the Diet Cola Patio is Diet Pepsi today.

Another failed Coca Cola citrus flavor anyone remember Simba?

popologist
02-02-2008, 06:23 AM
In my opinion, Coke ought to promote both Vault and Mello Yello. They could advertise Vault as a citrus drink with more bite (like Sun-Drop or Ski) and Mello Yello as a smoother citrus drink (like Mountain Dew). They could even promote them side by side as different ends of the citrus soda spectrum.

i like your idea.

mjb1124
02-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I say stick with Vault, except in regions where Mello Yello has a strong following. Coke needs a product that stands out from Mountain Dew, as opposed to just what is IMHO a cheap imitation of Dew. Vault delivers because it has a bolder flavor and more caffeine.

But they definitely need to keep pushing it or else it will falter just like Surge did. It will take a long time for them to even sell half as much as Dew, but if they keep pushing then there will be steady growth and it will be a reasonably strong seller in its own right. Again, though, it does seem to be holding its own in my area.

bigrich
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I am visiting the Sarasota area of Florida this week and I am finding more Mello Yello than Vault. This has also been true in Tampa and Fort Myers from what I have seen. Mello Yello is in most vending machines and Vault is not. All in all though Coke is ahead of the game with both products. Vault does not hurt Mello sales and probably puts a small dent into Mt. Dew. Where there is both, it puts a bigger dent in Mt. Dew. Coke needs to re-release the Mello flavors to a wider audience. Purhaps as a promotion with a chain in their fountains first, then release them again in other packages. I also was happy to find Fanta Apple, as I have not tried that before.

amyers
02-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Seems as if they're launching the VAULT Red Blitz 12pk soon and will have My Coke Rewards:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/VAULTRedBlitz12pk-image.jpg

Also, the average VAULT cooler here in Columbus, with 30 cent coupons. :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/Windows-1252BSU1HMDA0MTcuanBn.jpg

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Ohhhh Red Vault! :P soo delicious! It's such a pity that I only drank one bottle of that delicious soda in my visit to U.S.... :P

Tannerman
02-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Based on the comments made by both Coke and Pepsi at the Consumer Analyst Group conference in FL this week, I don't think there's going to be much in the way of Dew/Vault stuff happening this year. Yes, you have the flavor push from Dew and their 3 candidates in the Dewmocracy thing, but it seems that both companies are playing to their strengths right now. For Coke (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/stories/2008/02/22/cocacola0223.html), that's going to be Vitaminwater and Coke Zero (as part of their "Red-Black-Silver" strategy). For Pepsi (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/stories/2008/02/20/pepsi_0221.html), that's SoBe Life Water to battle Coke in that space, while pushing Diet Pepsi Max to take on Zero. It just doesn't feel like a "energized citrus" drink year for either brand. (Unless you count the renewed push on Amp).

lordmadone
02-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Red Blitz tasted a lot like a caffienated Sierra Mist cranberry for some reason..

Spartan Dan
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Here in Charlotte, Vault is still alive and selling- everywhere from gas stations to fast food restaurants. I see Vault as a watered down contestant for an "energy drink" title, but I really doubt the Coke company is worried about this product at the moment. Vault still sells out 12 packs and 16 oz. cans in my area all the time.

* VAULT is the 7th highest volume SKU in any Coca-Cola product packaging (including 20oz, 2-liters, 6-packs, 12-packs, 18-packs, etc.)
* VAULT is the 4th highest volume SKU of any 20oz Coca-Cola product packaging.
* Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated of Columbus, GA has sold over 61,000+ cases of 20oz (1,464,000 packages) since inception (late last year).
* Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated of Columbus, GA sells over 5,000+ cases (120,000 packages) each month, with a steady growth rate.

--amyers

amyers
02-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Here in Charlotte, Vault is still alive and selling- everywhere from gas stations to fast food restaurants. I see Vault as a watered down contestant for an "energy drink" title, but I really doubt the Coke company is worried about this product at the moment. Vault still sells out 12 packs and 16 oz. cans in my area all the time.

Charlotte is a Coca-Cola Consolidated Area, it should very well promoted by them.

lordmadone
02-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought red blitz came out with 12 pack cans right from the start?

amyers
02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I thought red blitz came out with 12 pack cans right from the start?

No, they were released in limited areas in 6pk's for a few months after the release.

imawalkingcorpse
03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Vault is the only one left in KC, I dont see Mello Yello anywhere anymore.

greg
03-06-2008, 10:43 AM
I thought Vault was a flop, and in the scheme of Coca-Cola it could very well be. However, data from IRI claims it is one of the best new products( dollar wise) of the year. It cam in Number 3 overall and #1 in beverages.
2006-2007 New Product Pacesetters: Top 10 Food & Beverage Brands (Mil $)

(Total Year One Dollar Sales across Food, Drug, Mass Channels, excluding Wal-Mart)

Campbell's Reduced Sodium Soup
$101

Bird's Eye Steamfresh Frozen Vegetables
$87

Vault/Vault Zero Regular/Diet Soft Drinks
$70

Gatorade A.M. Sports Drinks
$70

General Mills Fiber One Chewy Bars
$64

Heineken Premium Light Lager Beer
$63

Dannon DanActive Probiotic Dairy Drinks
$63

Sara Lee Heart Hearty & Delicious Breads
$63

Dannon Activia Light Yogurt
$62

Jazz Diet Pepsi
$56

Source: IRI New Product Profiler(TM)

lordmadone
03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
hmm that was when it first jumped on the scene..any date from 07-08 I think would be a much more accurate reflection on it.

greg
03-06-2008, 05:24 PM
hmm that was when it first jumped on the scene..any date from 07-08 I think would be a much more accurate reflection on it.
Well, seeing that it is only early March I will give IRI the benefit of the doubt that these numbers are fairly accurate for year ending 2007.

lordmadone
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
errr yeah I mistaken wrote that wrong..meant to actually ask the exact months..08 is just in..agreed.

liquidlunch
03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
i knew some kids in college who loved this stuff. in lieu of coffee and diet coke, they would just infuse this stuff into their veins.

cokebabies
03-08-2008, 04:23 AM
I see Vault on a regular basis on Long Island, but I haven't seen Zero in almost a year. It's depressing.

skifdank
03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
vault=(mdx)-(dew)+(mello yello^2)+√surge

meetingpeopleiseasy
03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
I was at Wal Mart yesterday and they had 16oz Energy Drink style cans of Vault for 98cents a piece. I picked up a couple.

lordmadone
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Interesting..take any pics?

amyers
03-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Interesting..take any pics?

They're the 16oz camo, I have pictures - I will post later.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I was at Wal Mart yesterday and they had 16oz Energy Drink style cans of Vault for 98cents a piece. I picked up a couple.
You live in rockford, i'm going to go check the janesville walmart now for these

CitrusCola
03-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Earlier today, I traveled through some rural parts of south/central NC, and I noticed that many convenience stores in and around Denton, Troy, and Albamarle have new cardboard display signs that show a bottle of Vault. One store in Denton even had a handwritten price of $1.00 on the sign.

Also, a Hardee's in Albamarle had fountain drinks that included Vault (as well as Coke Zero and Cherry Coke).

amyers
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Here's a picture:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/VAULT-16oz-CAMO-CAN.jpg

Mr Zabe
03-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Just commenting on the look of the can;
looks like dried crap on a log.:(
What were they thinking when they
allowed this art work for this can?

Supra TT
03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I think the can looks good....the point of sale that we have, the pics on it looks good

amyers
03-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Just commenting on the look of the can;
looks like dried crap on a log.:(
What were they thinking when they
allowed this art work for this can?

Whats wrong with it? It looks fine to me?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/Windows-1252BSU1HMDAxODYuanBn.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/12-12-07_1155.jpg

The image I posted before was pre-pre-pre-production, I think in person it looks perfectly fine.

the saint
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Those do not look so bad. I am wondering if this is an LTO package or is this gonna be a full time product, anyone know for sure? If it is an LTO they will do fine IMO, if fulltime production I think they will flop, not because of the product in it but because 16 oz soda cans pretty much always do.

Mr Zabe
03-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Whats wrong with it? It looks fine to me?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/Windows-1252BSU1HMDAxODYuanBn.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/12-12-07_1155.jpg

The image I posted before was pre-pre-pre-production, I think in person it looks perfectly fine.

That's just my opinion. The design does not appeal to me. No big deal.

greg
03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
What's up with the price???? $.69
They are acting like it is already being discontinued.

amyers
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
What's up with the price???? $.69
They are acting like it is already being discontinued.

Not really, they're just selling soda at a great price. I'm much more likely to buy a soda for .69 cents than I would to pay $1.40 for a 20oz Mountain Dew or whatever.

Mr Zabe
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Not really, they're just selling soda at a great price. I'm much more likely to buy a soda for .69 cents than I would to pay $1.40 for a 20oz Mountain Dew or whatever.
IMO...69 cents is a roll out "try me" special. I would doubt that this price is the off promotion retail
sales price.

amyers
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
IMO...69 cents is a roll out "try me" special. I would doubt that this price is the off promotion retail
sales price.

I think that CCBCC would sell them for this much even if these cans were not just a "limited time" thing. VAULT/VAULT Zero/VAULT Red Blitz all go for 99 cents all the time with bi-monthly promotions. This month, 79 cents with 30 off coupons attached to the cooler. VAULT is still in it's "try me" phase and CCBCC is doing everything they can to get everyone to try it.

New PT we got:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/AaronMyers/Windows-1252BSU1HMDA1MjUuanBn.jpg

pepsipimp
03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Its nice to see you guys are really pushing it down there, up here they do nothing with it, after the inital offering its been full price and the Coke rep told me they were probably going to stop making the Vault Zero in 2L/20oz because its just going out of date. I think the product could do better if they put some promotion behind it but as with most things CCE just sits back and hopes for the best.

mjb1124
03-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Zero is long gone in my area. Too bad, because I loved the stuff. I still get it occasionally when I make the trip down to the Philly area.

Regular and Red Blitz continue to chug along merrily, however.

amyers
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM
You don't see the Zero going too too fast down here but it does sell. I don't think 2L would of made it down here but 12pk don't do too bad because they have a great shelf life.