PDA

View Full Version : WOW-What a Merger!

greg
02-07-2008, 08:53 AM
AB and InBev......a global giant!
InBev, Anheuser-Busch in merger talks: magazine - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080207/bs_nm/inbev_anheuserbusch_dc_1)

lordmadone
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Possible merger would be a more appropriate wording :P.

skylark68
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I wonder if this would be a good thing? Budweiser is okay, but not my favorite. Would a merger help or hurt quality?

fusion
02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Are you talking about the quality of Budweiser? lol.

greg
02-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I wonder if this would be a good thing? Budweiser is okay, but not my favorite. Would a merger help or hurt quality?

I don't think quality would be an issue. What it means would be greater distribution points as well as greater marketing power( as if AB doesn't have enough already). This would literally open up half the World to AB, of which half already has AB. So, again, GLOBAL GIANT, that is IF( with respect to lordmadone) the merger takes place.

SamC
02-09-2008, 06:46 AM
This seems to serve little purpose. Beer, is not like an industrial hard good, such as cars, where multiplying manufacturing capacity around the world makes a lot of sense.

At the end of the day, in terms of North America, this is a merger of Labatt and A-B (Budweiser) and thus the other half of the Molson-Coors deal. In terms of the rest of the world, Budweiser, or likely Michelob, can be a niche brand distributed by the local mainline distributor.

The negative publicity part would be that, as a European company, it does not respect US laws relative to Cuba, and in fact, just like Pernod, deals with the government there without compensating the actual owners of the expropriated property in the USA. This will hurt Budweiser among Cuban-Americans and conservatives. In terms of Canada, this will be spun as the big bad Americans taking over Labatt, just like the other big bad Americans took over Molson. Of course, with Labatt and Molson eternally tied at 49-49 in terms of Canadian beer, where else can they go?

In terms of soda, this being the soda board, ImBev controls Pepsi in Brazil and many Latin Carribbean countries.

greg
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
This seems to serve little purpose. Beer, is not like an industrial hard good, such as cars, where multiplying manufacturing capacity around the world makes a lot of sense.

At the end of the day, in terms of North America, this is a merger of Labatt and A-B (Budweiser) and thus the other half of the Molson-Coors deal. In terms of the rest of the world, Budweiser, or likely Michelob, can be a niche brand distributed by the local mainline distributor.

The negative publicity part would be that, as a European company, it does not respect US laws relative to Cuba, and in fact, just like Pernod, deals with the government there without compensating the actual owners of the expropriated property in the USA. This will hurt Budweiser among Cuban-Americans and conservatives. In terms of Canada, this will be spun as the big bad Americans taking over Labatt, just like the other big bad Americans took over Molson. Of course, with Labatt and Molson eternally tied at 49-49 in terms of Canadian beer, where else can they go?

In terms of soda, this being the soda board, ImBev controls Pepsi in Brazil and many Latin Carribbean countries.

WHAT!?!?! Serves Little Purpose???? An American icon of brewers teaming up with arguably the 2nd largest Beer Manufacturer in the World and it is of little significance or importance?
You argue the Cuba relationship....I am sure that AB has taken certain global, regional, and local situations into consideration concerning this "possible" merger. I know you can buy a Coke in Cuba as well as a Pepsi. I bet you can buy SABMiller brands there as well.

COKE has probelms all throughout the World. Look into India, Mexico, Parts of South America as well and how there business is conducted in those countries.
Are you forgetting what Chavez is doing in his own country to curtail free trade?
Perhaps the canucks will welcome a "Big Bad American" company taking ober Labatts so it can continue to "compete" in Canada instead of falling victim to SABMiller.

People have to understand that the beverage business is a VOLUME based business and that combined with Global economy it only makes sense for the largerest campnaies to merge to continue to grow.

Total Gross Sales In 07 was 18.989 Billion.......I don't know about you but that is significant in my book and anything they can do to increase that number is a good move.

Furthermore, at the end of the day this is not a merger just for North America, it is a global merger. It has residual effects over 7 continents, not just 1.