PDA

View Full Version : Coca-Cola Co.'s frustrating new cap design

vwestlife
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Anyone else hate the new "low profile" cap design that has appeared on 20 oz. bottles of all Coca-Cola soft drinks (including Dr Pepper and Sprite)? First of all, when you first unscrew it, numerous times it takes the retaining ring along with it... and even worse, to borrow a term from the British... it's bloody hard to screw back on! :mad: It usually takes me several tries to catch the threads right, and eventually I just give up and twist it on with brute force. I never had this problem with the old cap design... ever!

Comparing it to the old (pre-February 2008) design, they reduced the number of thread rings on the bottle from three to two, which probably saves them a tiny fraction of a cent per bottle in manufacturing costs, along with the smaller cap. But that's not the problem... the old "tall" cap screws onto the new bottle without much difficulty. It's the new "low profile" cap itself, which is very difficult to screw onto both the old and new 20 oz. bottle designs. :mad:

liquidlunch
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Whoa, I had not noticed this and drink my share of coke products. They should publish quotes under the caps like the folks at Honest Tea. Anyone else love that? You open, and there's a saying from Ghandi or Yogi Berra.

greg
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Whoa, I had not noticed this and drink my share of coke products. They should publish quotes under the caps like the folks at Honest Tea. Anyone else love that? You open, and there's a saying from Ghandi or Yogi Berra.
Most of the qoutes I ever got from a Coke cap was: " Sorry Try Again"
Now the say : Please Visit www.cokerewards.com XC54k89GH6621980

hodgesbo
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Coke is waging a new kind of war. God bless us all.

Joey
03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
The new caps are frustrating. I usually drink coke zero when Im in the mood for a soda. Its not fun trying to battle a soda cap and drive at the same time.

Tech_Guy
03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I see what you mean with the new cap. Thankfully, they haven't made it up to my area yet. But I first noticed the new cap on a 20oz bottle of Pibb Xtra I got from Morgantown, WV this Saturday. I got six-packs of Minute Maid Light Orangeade and Light Raspberry Passion and these bottles also had this new cap.

I did get 2L bottles of Pibb, Mello Yello, and Fanta Strawberry on my trip Saturday, but these bottles didn't have the new cap. (And I wouldn't want these short caps on something like a 2L bottle...ever.)

While I didn't have too horrible of problems with the cap, I still found them too awkward and short. The coin-like ridges along the side (of the old caps) were replaced with smooth, straight plastic versions of the ridges that were on the old metal bottle caps. Although these caps are not half as irritating as the metal screw caps that are on Virgils, IBC, Crush, and Boylan's glass bottles, the old caps were definitely better.

Android
03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Do you mean these caps, like these on Diet Dr Pepper 16.9s I get down in Cheyenne every now and then? Personally, I've not had any problems with them at all. I thought the "retro" bottle cap look was kinda cool, actually

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/NewCokeCap.jpg

b0mbtrac
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
coke sucks, just drink pepsi.

sodabob
03-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Amen Bombtrac Pepsi is the way to go I deliver pepsi in southern wyoming Coke isn't real popular down here

francoenergy99
04-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Why do you worry about a cap I usally throw them away anyways.

liquidlunch
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
On the flip side, I am really excited about the new pepsi cans and their little recycling reminder messages. I think CEO Indra Nooyi (http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/time100/article/0,28804,1595326_1615737_1615996,00.html) has done a bunch of great things with that company.

francoenergy99
05-04-2008, 11:27 PM
I think those caps are to help you turn it easier, I remember sometimes I would need to use my t-shirt or a rubber grip to get the old ones opened.

mattlscc
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Do you mean these caps, like these on Diet Dr Pepper 16.9s I get down in Cheyenne every now and then? Personally, I've not had any problems with them at all. I thought the "retro" bottle cap look was kinda cool, actually

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/NewCokeCap.jpg

It may look cool.... but it is a pain to open and close IMHO. The quarter style grips of the old caps and the larger surface area was much easier to grip and turn properly. I'm sure they are cutting down on materials and probably saving a lot of money, but it just bothers me.

mattlscc
05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Here is the press release image of the new bottle and cap. They claim it is easier to open, but I say it's not. Nice try Coke.
http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/presscenter/img/imagebrands/downloads/lg_grip_bottle_KOc.jpg

francoenergy99
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I think it is, maybe they should go to bumps instead of ridges.

CareerNetwork
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't like the cap either the grips don't help me at all they make it more slippery if anything. Looks like the grips are just there for a design.

Mr Zabe
05-15-2008, 02:00 AM
I picked up a case of Dasani last weekend.
I so agree, those @#*%^$# new caps are
the worst. It takes me several moments to open
and close them. I would gladly pay an extra cent or two
for the old caps.

francoenergy99
05-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I like them there awesome, I think they perfectly fit my fingers yay!!!

francoenergy99
05-15-2008, 02:51 AM
I like them there awesome, I think they perfectly fit my fingers yay!!

lordmadone
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I honestly disagree I like their new caps and the new sleek dasani plus bottles seem to fit my hands perfect.

BluejacketT
06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I think they are easier to open most of the time.

francoenergy99
06-07-2008, 01:40 PM
finally someone agrees with me

beverage expert
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
If you don't like the cap then why do you buy Coke? For the taste?? I don't think so! Start buying Pepsi, they have a better cap!

greg
06-20-2008, 11:59 AM
If you don't like the cap then why do you buy Coke? For the taste?? I don't think so! Start buying Pepsi, they have a better cap!

WOW! If someone makes their CSD buying decision based on a cap perhaps I have been overthinking this whole thing! LOL

Mr Zabe
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
WOW! If someone makes their CSD buying decision based on a cap perhaps I have been overthinking this whole thing! LOL If needed I would naw the cap off for a CSD 20oz bottle of Pepsi. LOL I may wine about cap designs but no mater the cap, I gots to have my Pepsi. LOL

BluejacketT
06-20-2008, 08:18 PM

I wouldn't buy based on whether I like the cap or not. I would go for taste, not the cap.

joshal1980
06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
The main reason for the new caps is to save money on plastic and it also takes fewer turns to take off the cap. Coca-Cola is looking for ways to save money just like every other company in the United States. I am sure this is not the end of package changes and there will be many more to come in the future.

Josh

rackitup
06-26-2008, 01:47 AM
I am a Pepsi drinker, BUT, I have to say I like the retro look of Coke's "short cap"

I have opened a few of them and resealed them fine,

From a packaging standpoint I prefer the retro Coke look, very nice.

rackitup
06-26-2008, 01:50 AM
WOW! If someone makes their CSD buying decision based on a cap perhaps I have been overthinking this whole thing! LOL

Ha, ha, ha, you're a Funny Guy Greg

rforsyth1
07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I bought 2 cases 2 weeks ago and have had 1/2 of them leak WITHOUT so much as opening them.
One in my brief case destroying TONS of work and a MESS of my Case, another in my daughters Luggage, many others just in the cabinet while in storage (hours of work cleaning up that mess). If they are NOT straight up, there is a 50% failure rate of leaking all over where ever it is.
I had my bottles on there side (like I store my 2 liter bottles) and when I went get a few I saw 1/2 were missing 50% of the contents. I wanted to ask the kids what happened to them, but upon looking closer I saw under the shelf (rack type) everything under was covered in it, NONE were opened, banged or disturbed.
This is a case of fixing what isnít broke AGAIN, to save less than a penny in costs. They are thinner and less reliable. I designed plastic molds for 8 years and KNOW this was for a cost cutting measure here. NOT to make it easier to open, please thatís a joke of an excuse. It saved as I said less than a penny and I guess when you sell over 10 million a year it adds up. But at who's expense now? There is no way on earth am I buying another one of those and I would like to call the consumer relations about this. (Cant find the number anywhere, help would be appreciated if anyone knows it). I have a few hundred dollars of damage now b/c these cheap bastards didnít do proper testing.

Anyone else hate the new "low profile" cap design that has appeared on 20 oz. bottles of all Coca-Cola soft drinks (including Dr Pepper and Sprite)? First of all, when you first unscrew it, numerous times it takes the retaining ring along with it... and even worse, to borrow a term from the British... it's bloody hard to screw back on! :mad: It usually takes me several tries to catch the threads right, and eventually I just give up and twist it on with brute force. I never had this problem with the old cap design... ever!

Comparing it to the old (pre-February 2008) design, they reduced the number of thread rings on the bottle from three to two, which probably saves them a tiny fraction of a cent per bottle in manufacturing costs, along with the smaller cap. But that's not the problem... the old "tall" cap screws onto the new bottle without much difficulty. It's the new "low profile" cap itself, which is very difficult to screw onto both the old and new 20 oz. bottle designs. :mad:

Soda-MN-Good
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Soda isn't meant to be recapped. You take the cap off, then you drink it. End of story.

I don't have that option anyway, with as many sodas as I have and all being in glass. I have two options, pry off the top and have it never fit another bottle again, or try and rethread a cap back on a glass bottle, and you think the new plastic caps are hard..ha

Nothing hits the spot like soda in a glass bottle taken right out of the ice. With most being 8-12 ounces, there's no need to recap, it's usually gone in two gulps.

Fihlo
03-27-2009, 04:38 AM
Hi!

I am writing from europe and looking for the real dimension of the cap as soon as possible!! Pleaseeeee
I am developing a CSR project and I should now expecially:

the height's dimension
the diameter 's dimension
the exact number of millings on the cap

Please reply to:
sustainability.communications@gmail.com

Please be so kind enough to help me!!
thanks in advance
Fihlo

fusion
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Some areas are using these caps on 2 liters now as well. We received a shipment of Coke Zero 2 liters from Nashville TN (CCBCC), and they had the short caps on them.

rackitup
11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I personally liked the look of the 'low profile" cap on the small (20 oz.) bottle.

I predict a lot of damaged product with the new cap on 2 Ltr. though, it does not seem like it would take much pressure to pop it off if jarred or dropped.

fusion
11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Surprisingly, I haven't seen an increase in damaged product or misapplied caps. Even the ornament bottles this year have the small caps, and 2 liters in some areas use them as well now.

Android
11-18-2009, 11:41 PM
I see Pepsi is getting in the act too, with a smaller cap on the PET bottles. here's a comparison photo I just threw together:
-Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiPETcapsOldVsNew.jpg

the saint
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Pepsi caps were crap when the facility we get our product from started using them. The machine that actually put the caps on wasn't calibrated right and it would bent the plastic ring inside the cap. The product would be flat by the time it left the warehouse due to an improper seal. Since the machine was fixed there really isn't any more breakage than what we had before, although as stated before it doesn't take much to knock one of the caps loose.

Android
11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, those new Pepsi caps I've noticed use kind of a flare type seal, with no padded plastic insert glued up inside the cap like there used to be. Doesn't take much to break the seal on these new ones. Although I've yet to find a flat bottle with them yet.
-Andy

fusion
03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Pretty much everyone is using these caps now - Cott, Pepsi, Coke, DPSBG. Canada Dry Honickman seems to be the holdout around here, though they do get 16.9oz 6pks from DPSBG-Columbus OH, which uses the short caps.