PDA

View Full Version : End of February Big Lots

iPwnd
02-25-2008, 10:03 PM
:eek:So i stopped by there the other day. Now i dont know about most of you guys, but big lots has been pretty slow for me lately. the other day however they were totally stocked, probably 5x more than usual.
Heres what i saw:
howling monkey sugar free 6 packs-didn't pick one up, but heard it is interesting
rip it chic-an attempt to get females in on ed's. Saw this at walgreen's alot with interesting flavor names. definitely a jab at tab energy, but kind of a pointless one
vitamin energy- some of my favorites
tampico- aimed at a hispanic market, highly sour and acidid, but good none the less.
Rush sugar free- definitely not for everyone. reminds me of butter eww.
a couple of other stragglers were there. Lots of regular bookoo,jugo and citrus. couple of mothers and some UFC energy drink.
So a lot of variety. Anyone else have such luck?

SonicFury
02-25-2008, 11:43 PM
wow, I had no idea Big Lots carried this stuff. THANK YOU!! I'll be checking them out this weekend.

KingOfDiamonds
02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I saw the bowling monkey the last time i was at big lots but didnt pick any up since i dont really know anything about it.

SonicFury
02-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I saw the bowling monkey the last time i was at big lots but didnt pick any up since i dont really know anything about it.

So what!! That kind of attitude is very misplaced in the field of energy drinks. Too many energy drink purchases are driven by whether people have heard of the drink... Red Bull ring any bells as an example?

Fact is, there are TONS of energy drinks out there that kick the crap out of the Monsters, Rockstars, and Red Bulls. People just need to be more adventurous. How else are you going to figure out what your true favorite drink is? Just TRY IT :)

greg
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
My take is this......
If it is at BIG LOTS....there is a reason it is there. Big Lots is not exactly a place you go to with your drink to build a brand.....it is usually the last place a drink goes to get a few remaining pennies back on investment. An ED retirement home if you will. The last place before the graveyard!

Trying one isn't a bad idea, but don't allow yourself to get all caught up in the drink because most likely it is a goner.

scum1
02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
I'll have to get my wife to stop in there tomorrow. She used to pick me stuff up all the time at biglots but now my collection is so big she does not know what i have already. She did grab me the Boo Koo citrus and Jugo there last week though.

Mr Zabe
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
{Said in a nice way.:)}
You have done a good job training your
wife,energy drink buying wise. LOL

iPwnd
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
wow, I had no idea Big Lots carried this stuff. THANK YOU!! I'll be checking them out this weekend.

yeah there almost all 60 cents too, so it isn't bad for those on a budget or just looking for a quick fix

SonicFury
02-27-2008, 01:23 AM
I'll have to get my wife to stop in there tomorrow. She used to pick me stuff up all the time at biglots but now my collection is so big she does not know what i have already. She did grab me the Boo Koo citrus and Jugo there last week though.

My family looks out for me too. I just keep them supplied with printed lists of what I have in alphabetical order. They keep a list in their car and it works great. Maybe give it a try :)

scum1
02-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Well my wife does get agitated sometimes at my collecting but mostly she is supportive. My list is at 306 drinks(including shots, strips, powders).

fusion
02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Similar selection at the one here. Bookoo jugo, Ripit Chic, Mother, and so on.

I picked up one from Brooklyn Bottling called Tropical Fantasy. It's orange-pineapple. It has "just a buck" around the top of the can. Apparently they couldn't even sell it that cheaply - it was 60 at Big Lots.

scum1
02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
The xenergy was in 8.4oz cans in a four pack. Never saw those before. My wife got me a 4 pack of the apple for 2 bucks.

Drinkaddict
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
My wife hates my energy drinks. I am not as crazy as some of you. I don't save the cans for a collection. I usually drink them them, and toss the can. But, my refrigerator has more energy drinks then food. So I think thats what makes my wife mad. My wife has yet bought me an energy drink. I smell a divorce soon. :D

DudeMan
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
$0.60....what kind of margin does Big Lots make?

I've always wondered, does Big Lots also carry drinks that actually do well on the market? Do they sell Monster, Rockstar?

scum1
03-01-2008, 03:15 AM
Yes my wife does get annoyed when another box arrives in the mail. I have an extra fridge in the garage foor drinks and it is about 50% energy drinks. I also have a cool stainless Red bull mini fridge filled with the smaller energy drinks. I have a spreadsheet going with all my drinks listed on it. It includes drinks, shots, gum ect(still have not gotten a hold of those energy potato chips yet). My list is over 300 now. Just my latest obsession. I figure my wife is happy because my last website/obsession was for a rock band and they flew me out of the country several times for shows. My energy drink obsession at least doesn't require trips overseas. As long as I stick to hogging up the garage I think I'm safe from divorce.

iPwnd
03-01-2008, 03:53 PM
$0.60....what kind of margin does Big Lots make?

I've always wondered, does Big Lots also carry drinks that actually do well on the market? Do they sell Monster, Rockstar?

The point of big lots is not to make a profit. it is just a place to sell what they couldn't at other stores. It's a way to make a cheap buck(60 cents) on what was destined to be thrown away. And no big lots rarely carries big brand names.

Mr Zabe
03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
The point of big lots is not to make a profit. it is just a place to sell what they couldn't at other stores. It's a way to make a cheap buck(60 cents) on what was destined to be thrown away. And no big lots rarely carries big brand names.
I disagree. Retail stores that pay rent,pay salaries, and so fourth, must make
make profit on their goods or they will go out of business.
Big Lots is no different. Big Lots buys closes outs and odd lots at pennies on the dollar.
If they sell an ED at 60 cents they probably make 30 cents profit.

BriGuy20
03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
My take is this......
If it is at BIG LOTS....there is a reason it is there. Big Lots is not exactly a place you go to with your drink to build a brand.....it is usually the last place a drink goes to get a few remaining pennies back on investment. An ED retirement home if you will. The last place before the graveyard!

Trying one isn't a bad idea, but don't allow yourself to get all caught up in the drink because most likely it is a goner.

True, but I still think there are some good deals to be found there. I'd certainly pick up Xenergy at closeout if I end up trekking all the way out to Sterling/Loudon.

I think it's like shopping at Goodwill - there's probably a gem or two, but you have to search through a lot of dreck to find it.

amyers
03-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Not true, they sale alot of the BooKoo Energy 24oz and they also sale Vitamin Energy which isn't dead or dying.

Mr Zabe
03-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Not true, they sale alot of the BooKoo Energy 24oz and they also sale Vitamin Energy which isn't dead or dying. An odd lot of merchandise or over stock does not necessarily mean that the product was discontinued.

stinkfinger
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Big Lots! sells product that is:
Short code
Discontinued
Overproduced
Left over from a wholesaler/retailer that went bellyup
Package change
and maybe salvageble merchandise from tractor trailer wrecks, pallet tipovers, forklift damage, etc.
stuff that is still usable but not in shape to be sold at Target, Kroger, Circle K, etc.

iPwnd
03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
thanks for clearing that up. I should have said more stuff like that, but im not an expert as I sometimes try to be.

SonicFury
03-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Cool, hit up my Big Lots today. I found 4 drinks by Everlast (yes, as in the sporting goods company), a canned chocolate energy milk shake, and a coffee-energy blend drink.

Finding 6 untried drinks in one place is huge by my current standards. Thanks again for the nice heads up!

scum1
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
6 untried CHEAP energy drinks. What was the coffee energy blend drink. We need names here!

Cool, hit up my Big Lots today. I found 4 drinks by Everlast (yes, as in the sporting goods company), a canned chocolate energy milk shake, and a coffee-energy blend drink.

Finding 6 untried drinks in one place is huge by my current standards. Thanks again for the nice heads up!

iPwnd
03-08-2008, 10:09 AM
6 untried CHEAP energy drinks. What was the coffee energy blend drink. We need names here!

I saw the coffee drink too. it was in a weird, dull brown can. I dont know if it had a specific name. it just said iced coffee energy. or so i recall

SonicFury
03-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Sorry, the coffee drink is called Frappio. This is the exact can I got,

Energy Drink Ratings: Frappio Light Latte Energy Drink Review (http://energy-drink-ratings.blogspot.com/2007/05/frappio-light-latte-energy-drink-review.html)