PDA

View Full Version : Sugar vs corn

drpep
02-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I read a post on another board where the poster read in the business section of the paper that soda makers may go back to sugar because of corns rising price. No link was provided.

DrPepperYummy
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I read a post on another board where the poster read in the business section of the paper that soda makers may go back to sugar because of corns rising price. No link was provided.

It's really a tossup right now... there is also talk of the government raising the import tariff on imported sugar cane so that there won't be enough of a cost effective benefit from corn syrup to real sugar if the price on imported sugar goes up... so it's just an absolute lobbyist battle to the government offices to see who will win the sugar war... keep in mind corn prices are going to continue rising though (all this ethanol producing going on in the midwest with new ethanol plants coming online 2008-2010 taking entire crops from farmers who will now plant all corn and very little other variety to maximize their returns), so at some point you might see a shift (unless the ethanol plants push for multiple sources for making biofuel instead of corn, heck even paper mills are using tree scraps to produce biofuel to run the mills, crazy times we live in)... who knows though, with the weaker dollar not buying as much imported sugar as before too... its all a tricky balance.

hodgesbo
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Please disregard DrPepperYummy's post above.

Thanks!

Bob;)

greg
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I have read in several publications that ethanol production is a virtual waste of time. Many purport that if the US switched to ethanol as its main source of energy( for vehicles) That it would take every single areable( sp?) piece of land to keep up with production. That would create chaos on our food supply.
I know that sugar cane is a huge source of sugar for the US in S. Florida, however, it seems to be losing out to development potential.
Just an observation.

lordmadone
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Not to take it off topic too much but I agree with your sentiments greg about ethanol I have been hearing that the cost will NOT outweigh the benefit..enviroment wise either.

hodgesbo
03-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Please close this post. It's an attempt to gain leverage with the general consumer population.

DrPepperYummy
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I have read in several publications that ethanol production is a virtual waste of time. Many purport that if the US switched to ethanol as its main source of energy( for vehicles) That it would take every single areable( sp?) piece of land to keep up with production. That would create chaos on our food supply.
I know that sugar cane is a huge source of sugar for the US in S. Florida, however, it seems to be losing out to development potential.
Just an observation.

Yeah I agree ethanol is just a patch fuel until we finally go hydrogen... thats why water is going to become worth more than gold in the future... hydrogen is the only fuel we're going to not have to pay some foreign country for since we can produce it from water... soon we won't be watering our grass with how much we'll have to pay to be green... lol (although I will say plug-in hybrids are starting to come out and seem to have popularity among current hybrid owners who now can drive for 40 miles on battery after plugging it in for a couple hours for a fraction of the cost of gasoline over 40 miles)

So uhhhh fill your bath tubs today, it'll be worth thousands in a couple decades!

greg
03-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah I agree ethanol is just a patch fuel until we finally go hydrogen... thats why water is going to become worth more than gold in the future... hydrogen is the only fuel we're going to not have to pay some foreign country for since we can produce it from water... soon we won't be watering our grass with how much we'll have to pay to be green... lol (although I will say plug-in hybrids are starting to come out and seem to have popularity among current hybrid owners who now can drive for 40 miles on battery after plugging it in for a couple hours for a fraction of the cost of gasoline over 40 miles)

So uhhhh fill your bath tubs today, it'll be worth thousands in a couple decades!

So If we go Hydrogen Fuel Cells that have to be "plugged in" for hours at a time isn't that going to put a strain on conventional powerplants??
How do most of these Power Plants run: Nuclear, Coal, Hydro,Fossil Fuel.

It looks to me that we just trade one situation for another. I have no answers, just theories.

greg
03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Please close this post. It's an attempt to gain leverage with the general consumer population.

You have 5 post and none of them make sense!

fusion
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Sounds like we've got a troll.

b0mbtrac
03-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Sugar is so much better then high fructose corn syrup, because it all good and stuff. and not all sick and stuff :p

DrPepperYummy
03-07-2008, 09:12 PM
So If we go Hydrogen Fuel Cells that have to be "plugged in" for hours at a time isn't that going to put a strain on conventional powerplants??
How do most of these Power Plants run: Nuclear, Coal, Hydro,Fossil Fuel.

It looks to me that we just trade one situation for another. I have no answers, just theories.

its all a tradeoff... the plugin hybrids... don't now but in the future will have timers to take advantage of lower rates on offpeak hours... (in some areas of the country it doesn't matter what time you use power you get charged the same but some places have cheaper offpeak rates) so the cars will begin to charge only when you're sleeping adn not using the vehicle for a couple hours... some will just be immediate in case you want to use the car soon... (so in theory you don't tax the power plants more, they just run at a steady pace through the evening now... but for coal plants they would pollute more obviously... or you could be really green and have solar panels or a wind turbine at home lol)

its all going to be trial and error the first round of hybrids becuase we'll always need a fuel source since battery technology is much further away from being a 100% solution for everyone... sure if you give me 100 miles a day its okay for me 5 days of the week, but when i want that weekend trip up north I would have to burn some sort of fuel to make it up there...

its exciting to at least recapture braking power to shed some mpg on any fuel source thats for sure... look for fleet trucks to be hybrids in the next couple years... I think coke bought another 60 after a trial with 20? 35% fuel savings? thats huge dollars with diesel rising.