PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero grew 37.5% last year, but still misses Top Ten

popologist
03-12-2008, 11:22 PM
here are the numbers for the soda companies for 2007:

http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2008.pdf

and diet coke is now only 0.7 market share behind pepsi...

Pixel
03-13-2008, 09:54 AM
here are the numbers for the soda companies for 2007:

http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2008.pdf
I'll take credit for that, thank you. My personal consumption has to account for at least half.:D
Get CZ in more restaurants and it will skyrocket even more!!!!!!!!!

popologist
03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
hey, you can't take all the credit. it got to the point that i was drinking so much coke zero that i forced myself to cut-back... for health's sake. (i still drink a lot though)

the stuff is amazing. i don't understand how diet coke is still selling so well--that stuff is metallic-tasting swill compared to coke zero.

either way, it's pretty amazing that coke zero is growing at almost 40% when the rest of the soda market is declining.

by my estimate (based on last year's numbers), CZ sold about 125 million cases this year... just shy of the 154 million cases of 10th place diet dr pepper. if CZ can grow at 30% in 2008, it may just catch DDP this year.

mjb1124
03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
There's still a rabid army of Diet Coke lovers, and some of them really hate Coke Zero. But I think in the long run, more people will go for a drink that tastes reasonably close to Coke over something that tastes like cough medicine. CZ is starting to find its way into more fountains, and I think that's what will send it over the top. Although, Diet DP and Diet MD don't have that strong of a fountain presence, and I'm kinda surprised they still beat CZ, but I guess it's because they're more established brands.

fusion
03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Personally, I think it's pretty amazing that CZ has made it so far so quickly.

I wonder if those numbers include Vanilla Zero and Cherry Zero? Fanta is in the top ten, but it doesn't say specifically if that is just orange, or all the flavors together.

Mr Zabe
03-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I might sound like a broken record (for those of you who know what a record was LOL).
Coke Zero has built a strong base of soda pop drinkers and will climb into the top ten for 2008.

Swifty
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
So, is Zero's growth coming at the expense of regular Coke (or any other Coke product)?

Mr Zabe
03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
IMO....Zero's growth is from Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke
BUT also from "cross over" Coke and Pepsi drinkers.
IMO....Coke Zero is creating a new destination
core catagory of drinkers; those that demand near facsimile
taste of " regular sweetened colas" with having low carbs.

greg
03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=Mr Zabe;360947]I might sound like a broken record (for those of you who know what a record was LOL).
QUOTE]

How about " I might sound like a digital repeat sequence"......I'm sure that clears things up for our younger beverage consumers.

liquidlunch
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Like Pixel, I'm totally taking credit for this boom too. I drink it pretty religiously, and have been seeing it as a fountain drink option at more and more fast food places. YAY!

popologist
03-13-2008, 11:16 PM
So, is Zero's growth coming at the expense of regular Coke (or any other Coke product)?
CZ's market share is probably coming at the expense of Diet Coke (and others); however, in a segment where sales are falling, any product (like CZ) that keeps people in the segment is a success.

for myself, i probably drink twice as much CZ as i did Diet Coke (maybe even three times as much)... just because it's just so much more enjoyable. and i've got a similar impression from other CZ fans.

with that said... sometimes it's still hard to find CZ in sizes i want (i.e., fridgepaks). i think it's because CZ sells out fast and still doesn't get as much shelf-space as Diet Coke. although, it's a lot better than a year ago. CZ is a major player now and is definitely more available.

let's hope we see it in the McDonald's fountain soon.

popologist
03-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Personally, I think it's pretty amazing that CZ has made it so far so quickly.

I wonder if those numbers include Vanilla Zero and Cherry Zero? Fanta is in the top ten, but it doesn't say specifically if that is just orange, or all the flavors together.
from what i understand, coke doesn't differentiate between the fanta flavors... and they probably don't for the coke zero versions either (at least, not yet).

Pixel
03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Like Pixel, I'm totally taking credit for this boom too. I drink it pretty religiously, and have been seeing it as a fountain drink option at more and more fast food places. YAY!
What fountains have you seen it at? And where?

Supra TT
03-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I have seen it popping up at a lot of 7-11's and Wendys

liquidlunch
03-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I had CZ from a fountain at Baja fresh the other day and really didn't like it as much. Why does it taste better bottled?

Mr Zabe
03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Taste differs due to several things.
1 How well and often the fountain is cleaned. Dirty nozzles effect taste.
2 The quality of the water used in the fountain. Tap water or filtered.
3 The ratio of syrup to carbonated water effects taste.
4 The quality of the ice (see #2).

Canned and bottled soda pop is more of an exact science.
The variables of the manufacturing process are better controlled.
Bottler's golden rule is to produce soda pops that are nearly 100% the
same as the standard from the original recipes. Both in taste and appearance.

fusion
03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
The numbers are just for Coke Zero. With Vanilla Zero and Cherry Zero added in, they would have a 1.4 share.

Swifty
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I had CZ from a fountain at Baja fresh the other day and really didn't like it as much. Why does it taste better bottled?

I thought I'd heard that Coke Zero in the fountain actually used a slightly tweaked formula - perhaps a different sweetner.

popologist
03-17-2008, 10:55 PM
The numbers are just for Coke Zero. With Vanilla Zero and Cherry Zero added in, they would have a 1.4 share.

wow! are you sure?

so what was coke zero's share on its own then?

either way, 1.4 share still wouldn't have made CZ in the top ten this year. though it's definitely close. maybe next year...

fusion
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
wow! are you sure?

so what was coke zero's share on its own then?

either way, 1.4 share still wouldn't have made CZ in the top ten this year. though it's definitely close. maybe next year...

Yep, I am sure.

Zero alone had a 1.0 share.

If Zero grows at the same rate this year as last, it should be top ten next year. Especially if you add in cherry zero, which is doing very well.

Maybe we'll see a caffeine free zero? (I haven't heard anything about one).

Bigjon9981
03-19-2008, 12:38 AM
So I have to ask the question is there a listing of the top 100 beverages out there? Just so I can find out where my favorite soda stands, Mello Yello.

popologist
03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
we DEFINITELY need a caffeine-free version of coke zero this year. that should boost it another 0.2 market share points alone.

Yep, I am sure.

Zero alone had a 1.0 share.

If Zero grows at the same rate this year as last, it should be top ten next year. Especially if you add in cherry zero, which is doing very well.

Maybe we'll see a caffeine free zero? (I haven't heard anything about one).

lordmadone
03-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Out of curiosity what is this growth from? How old is coke zero? When was it introed? I could have sworn it was early last year..

Tannerman
03-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Out of curiosity what is this growth from? How old is coke zero? When was it introed? I could have sworn it was early last year..I believe it was actually 2005ish in the U.S.

popologist
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I believe it was actually 2005ish in the U.S.

it was introduced in mid-2005... about a month after diet coke with splenda (is that even still around?). at first, coke zero had white packaging... very similar to the diet coke logo from the 80s and 90s. it wasn't until late 2006/early 2007 that coke zero started using the black packaging in the US (it always had black packaging in other countries).

popologist
03-21-2008, 01:32 PM
this is what wikipedia.com says about coke zero's availability in restaurants:

Coca-Cola Zero can be found at most Zaxby's Restaurants on their soda fountain. It can also be found at select Sam's Club soda fountains. Papa John's Pizza offers bottled Coke Zero. Subway restaurants have begun selling bottled Coke Zero at many of their restaurants. Some Wendy's offer Coke Zero from their soda fountains. Several White Castle restaurants have replaced Diet Coke with Coke Zero. Many convenience stores and restaurants in the city of Atlanta, the home city to the Coca-Cola Company, carry Coca-Cola Zero in fountains. The Paradise Bakery chain is offering Coke Zero along with its Diet Coke counter part at their soda fountains. Major grocery stores in the Midwest also offer Coke Zero at their fountain machines.

Pixel
03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Outback Steakhouse is in a major Coke Zero push. They now have it in fountain and are offering special deals with the purchase of a CZ!
Kudos!!!!!

mjb1124
03-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Several White Castle restaurants have replaced Diet Coke with Coke Zero.

I can't help but wonder if this incited any freakouts from Diet Coke fanatics...

Actually, the interesting thing is that the White Castles around me only serve Diet Coke in its caffeine free form. They don't serve Coke Zero either.

popologist
03-31-2008, 08:58 AM
the key to coke zero's continued success is getting consumers to try it. i think it's fair to say that, for most people, CZ simply tastes better than diet coke... A LOT better.

it's also in coca-cola's best-interest to push CZ because... since CZ tastes better, people will drink more of it. for me, personally, i probably drink two to three times more coke zero than i did of diet coke, simply because i enjoy it. diet coke tasted metallic and mediciney. bleh.

and, now that i've gotten used to coke zero, it tastes almost exactly like regular coke to me now. i don't miss regular coke anymore. it's always coke zero.

Mana211
03-31-2008, 11:58 PM
fwiw 5 years ago I would have said Mello Yello was my favorite drink with Dr Pepper, Diet Dr Pepper, Coke, and caffeine free diet coke rounding out my mix.

I was a big fan of C2 and I stopped drinking Mello Yello about the time C2 was fizzling and Zero was launching. I continued to buy C2 even after it was fazed out (including a trip to North Carolina to restock when I couldn't get it locally).

Now I buy Coke Zero, caffeine free diet coke, and Cherry Coke Zero and nothing else. Pricing in my area gives no advantage to Dr Pepper and they are behind on the sweetener tech.

If they finish out the series and make a caffeine free coke zero the coke zero line will have completely stolen all my prior Dr Pepper sales plus my prior Mello Yello and Diet Coke sales for some time to come.

There are two or three ways Dr. Pepper could regain my business and they all revolve around sweetener choices.

1. Dr. Pepper Zero (even if they can't use the name they could make their own blend with AceK and aspartame). Don't even try to tell me Diet Dr. Pepper doesn't need the sweetener change.

2. Cane Sugar Dr. Pepper across the US not just in localized areas.

3. Dr. Pepper C2 (again the name could be anything but assuming they went with a cane sugar/aspartame/aceK or corn syrup/sucralose/aspartame/aceK it'd get the job done). Note that it takes more sweeteners to round out the corn syrup taste and even then it lacks the pop of a cane sugar drink.

Of course Dr. Pepper doesn't have to get my money. Coke can keep raking it in so long as they give me a caffeine free Zero.

First one to blink gets my swing vote...

popologist
04-01-2008, 12:08 AM
we need a CAFFEINE-free coke zero this year!