PDA

View Full Version : The Ghost of Soda Pop Past

Tech_Guy
03-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Over the years, lots of soda pops have come and gone while others have hung in. Which discontinued soda pop do you miss the most? Which discontinued sodas did you want to try, but couldn't because they were not available in your area?

For me, they would have to be:

Sodas I liked, but are gone:

Coca-Cola Umbrella
Mr. Pibb
Fanta Root Beer
Ramblin Root Beer
Coca-Cola with Lime
Sprite Remix: Tropical, Berry Clear, and Aruba Jam

Pepsi Umbrella
Crystal Pepsi (the first version that was a clear cola)
Pepsi Blue
Pepsi Holiday Spice
Mountain Dew Pitch Black I
Slice Red
Flavored Pepsi-Colas: Pepsi Tropical Chill, Pepsi Strawberry Burst, and Pepsi Raging Razzberry

DPSG Umbrella
7up Gold
Dr Pepper Red Fusion
dnl
Canada Dry Birch Beer
Snapple Tru Root Beer

Faygo Umbrella
Faygo Diet Chocolate Creme
Faygo Morning Mist (the red flavor extension of Moon Mist, which was ahead of its time)

Gone sodas I wish I had the opportunity to try:

Coca-Cola Umbrella
Coca-Cola with the Chocolate flavor packs
Diet Mr. Pibb
Fanta Berry
Mello Yello Cherry
Mello Yello Melon
Mello Yello Afterglow
Tab Clear
Barq's Floats
Minute Maid of any flavor other than Orange

Pepsi Umbrella
Pepsi Kona
Dr Slice
Sobe Mr Green

DPSG Umbrella
Royal Crown Draft Cola
Dr Nehi

EDIT: Added a few I forgot about, but loved.

PepsiBlue
03-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Pepsi blue of course
Coca-Cola Vanilla (reg/zero) I know it still exists, but I only ever see it in 20oz and 12 packs.
Sprite Remix (I liked all 3 flavors, maybe aruba jam the most)
dnL
Diet Mountain Dew Code Red (Again, I see it in 12 packs, but never in 2 liters anymore)
Slice
Tropicana Twister Citrus

and the one soda I wish I could try that I never really did
Crystal Pepsi, I seem to remember as a kid my mom bringin home a 2 liter, but I dont recall how it tasted.

greg
03-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I am a Dr. Pepper drinker but I have to ask.......Is Mr. Pibb really Discontinued?

meetingpeopleiseasy
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I am a Dr. Pepper drinker but I have to ask.......Is Mr. Pibb really Discontinued?
I think Mr. Pibb is just Pibb Xtra now.

Oh and I would kill a homeless man for a Crystal Pepsi.

meetingpeopleiseasy
03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I think I was a little rude in my last post, I would kill a homeless PERSON for a crystal pepsi, I don't want anyone to think I'm sexist.

jmyjunk
03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Mr. Pibb, now known as Pibb xtra, is still around. It depends on the region, and if the local Coke bottler makes Dr. Pepper. Also, Pibb xtra zero(diet) is available in some markets.
Vanilla Coke is still around as well.

liquidlunch
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Maybe Pepsi Holiday Spice is just seasonal and not totally discontinued? Or at least, that's what I'm crossing my fingers for..

the saint
03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Maybe Pepsi Holiday Spice is just seasonal and not totally discontinued? Or at least, that's what I'm crossing my fingers for..

You aren't going to be able to do much with your hands then. It is done, gone, buried.

Then again is anydrink actually gone?? It will come back one day as the same thing with a new name like "cinnamon spice SLICE" or something corny like that and Pepsi will act as though it is the newest and greatest thing since HFCS.

Mr Zabe
03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
The big thing I miss (most of us miss) is having a mass market glass soda pop machine.
I remember as a kid, getting RC,Pepsi,Coke, Dp,7up,Dog & Suds root beer, Hires root beer
and so on....from a good old vending machine. IMO....that period of time was the golden
age of soda pops. Cane sugar and glass, oh so good.:)

fusion
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Pibb Xtra is not the same thing as Mr. Pibb. It wasn't just the name that changed, but the taste as well.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Mr. Green instantly comes to my head when thinking about stuff I never tried.

As for discontinued products, the list is endless, with Pepsi Holiday Spice, Sprite Remix Aruba Jam, and Snapple Elements Venom being on the top of the list.

jmyjunk
03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Pibb Xtra is not the same thing as Mr. Pibb. It wasn't just the name that changed, but the taste as well.

Sorry, the change is so slight, that the average palate can not tell Pibb Xtra from Mr. Pibb. IMO this was to boost sales to a sluggish line of soda. To me, this is still Mr. Pibb.

drpep
03-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Red Fusion.

CitrusCola
03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Drinks I'd like to taste again:

Orange Tru-Ade
Lift Golden Citrus Cola
Upper 10
White Lightnin'
Kick

Drinks that I never had a chance to try but would like to:

Royal Crown Draft Cola
Mint Cola
Nehi Bounce
Dr. Nehi
Cool Moon
Chero-Cola

Swifty
03-17-2008, 10:40 PM
RC draft was...heavenly. Almost worth the trip to New Zealand to get some.

I have to say, I also miss Dr. Nehi. The only place I ever got it was out of the fountain at a BBQ joint in Georgia. (It was always served in a mason jar).

Fanta Lemon would also be a good thing if it ever appeared in the US.

drpep
03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Drinks that I never had a chance to try but would like to:
Cool Moon

Maybe I missed the death notice but isn't Cool Moon still found in Salisbury, NC? It has been there everytime I'd pass thru from 2002 until my last trip in 2006.

CitrusCola
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
On a recent trip to Salisbury, I was told that Carolina Beverages had stopped production of Cool Moon last year. I've also noticed that it's no longer for sale on their online store.

ithastabeshasta
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I could be wrong but I believe Upper 10 is still produced in some regions of the US.

I was on the Cott Beverages website and clicked on their carbonated soft drinks link then the RC Cola link and you will be taken to the RC Cola international site and there you will see that Kick and Upper 10 along with RC Draft and RC Edge are still listed as international brands. I couldn't find a listing for where they were sold though.

skylark68
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Drinks that are very hard to locate in Houston, TX (that I love and wish I had easier access to)

Cherry RC (found some on Ebay finally - shipping cost really sucks!)
Cheerwine (Ebay and direct from Cheerwine, but see above...)
Mello Yello

Gone, but not forgotten:

Hires Root Beer (recently discontinued in my area)
"Original" Mr. Pibb
Pepsi Free
New Coke (I actually liked it when I was a kid)
Any of the Slice varieties

Gone and forgotten:

Crystal Pepsi (why do people want to find this stuff, it was nasty!!!)

drpep
04-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Pepsi Free is not gone, just changed name to Caffeine Free Pepsi.

doulasc
04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
For the DPSG umbrella you need to add Berries and cream dr.pepper and soon Cherry vanilla dr.pepper.

Doug

rollntider
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
never liked berries and cream Dr. Pepper, they could discontinue that and chocolate cherry and i would be ok with it.

I miss crystal pepsi, I always wondered why they never just made a pepsi or coke without the caramal color. I like clear drinks. No need for artificial coloring.

I wished i had tried pepsi blue, mello yello melon and Dew Pitch black.

skylark68
04-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Pepsi Free is not gone, just changed name to Caffeine Free Pepsi.

Cool, i didn't realize that. I'll have to try it out.

Dobroplayer
04-14-2008, 01:35 AM
"Sprite Remix: Tropical, Berry Clear, and Aruba Jam"

YES YES YES!!!!

Why in the WORLD did they discontinue those?? (Especially Berry Clear)

Lack of sales? I find that difficult to believe.

DP

yeahuno
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I remember when I was a kid they had Orange Spot pop back in the 70's. Whatever happened to Nestea peach and raspberry? I tried blue pepsi once and didn't like it, same as Cherry-vanilla, and berries and cream Dr. Pepper, ugh. Around where I live, they still have cherry-vanilla dr. pepper. To bad Slice went away, I liked the pop.

jz2013
11-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Really i didn't know that do you knopw any way to get the original Mr. Pibb? And is the taste change for better or for worse?:confused:

skinsman61
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Mr. Pibb is still selling around here so it it's discontinued then someone is moonlighting it

:D

skinsman61
12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
II remember drinking this soda back in the late 70's in Illinois but I can't find a thing about is since does anyone else remember this soda as well?