PDA

View Full Version : Passover Coke 2008

AzRocks
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
For the past two years I have posted about Passover Coke. As in the past here is a quick rundown for anyone who doesn't know, why many people get excited over this

I am already getting excited for Passover Coke. If anyone doesn't know what it is, it is when Coke starts to produce Coke with REAL sugar instead of HFCS. They do this for the Jewish holiday of Passover, which you are not allowed to eat certain food items such as corn syrup, because of this Coke produces Coca-Cola and Sprite in 2L and sometimes in cans that have real sugar in it. You can tell Passover Coke from Regular Coke because it has yellow caps and has a KP on it or another kosher symbol with a P after it. They usually only produce them around cities with a fairly large Jewish population but most fairly big cities in the US (New York, Chicago, LA, Miami, etc.) have them.

Passover this year starts on April 20th so start looking during the next few weeks!

To clarify a few things brought up in past years:
1. Throughout the whole year, corn syrup is kosher and therefore most sodas are kosher. Passover coke doesn't mean that it is now kosher- it means that it is able to be consumed on passover. See Chametz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chametz) for more information
2. As in past years the only major sodas that are Kosher for Passover are:Coke, Sprite, Pepsi and Sierra Mist, as well as some diet varieties of these, although the diet passover versions are the same as the regular versions throughout the year
3. You probably will not have to go into a special Jewish store to find it, although it can be helpful
4. In past years cans of it have been sold in 6 packs NOT 12 packs
5. No mycokerewards last year

Any one with any questions post them and ill gladly respond!

lesnyc
03-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I think coke should always use real sugar...La Chiam!

liquidlunch
03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Is it typically sold at major grocery stores? Is it more expensive? Is in the Kosher section usually?

treetoptom
03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Here in the DC-Baltimore corridor you find the KFP Coke in 2L bottles everyplace from supermarkets to convenience stores to delis - almost anyplace soda is sold. The harder to find KFP sodas (Sprite, Pepsi etc.) are usually only found in parts of town with a significant Jewish population (e.g., Pikesville, MD, or the Park Heights Section of Baltimore). They are generally mixed in with the regular Coke/Pepsi products, but are sometimes in with a Passover display if the store has one. They are the same price as the regular product in the 2L bottles, which is the only way we get it here.

fusion
03-19-2008, 05:58 PM
The UPC ok KP Coke is the same as regular Coke, so it will ring up at the same price. This also allows the warehouses to ship KP stuff to any store, and clear out any remaining stock after Passover.

The difference is in the ordering system, where the salesperson can specifically order KP stuff.

amyers
03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Any idea if Atlanta has this stuff?

AzRocks
03-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Any idea if Atlanta has this stuff?

Almost definetly, at least in some places

amyers
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Almost definetly, at least in some places

Where would you look? Going there this weekend.

popologist
03-19-2008, 11:23 PM
try looking at stores in the jewish areas/neighborhoods of your city... if there are any.

Mr Zabe
03-19-2008, 11:48 PM
try looking at stores in the Jewish areas/neighborhoods of your city... if there are any. As well, do a Google search of local Jewish temples/synagogues. Call a few and
ask for help. I would also go to a good chain grocery store and ask around (soda pop route men/women,store mangager ect). Finding KP soda pop is like a big scavenger hunt. You have to work every angle. LOL

AzRocks
03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Where would you look? Going there this weekend.

Hmm.. this weekend is a little too early. We still have a month to go. In about a week or two try looking in either a big supermarket or preferably a kosher supermarket which will almost definetly have it, and i am sure atlanta has quite a few kosher groceries. Use this website: Kosher Eating In Atlanta (http://www.starkman.com/natan/kosher_eating_in_atlanta.html) and try calling one of the grocery stores listed to see if they have any

bigrich
03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
It arrived in Indianapolis, IN today. Coke & Diet in 2L. This year they are from (MD) Niles, IL with a white cap and CRC in a triangle and P-08 on the caps. Sucrose is listed as the sweatner. I would like some help (Maybe Mr. Zabe) on where I can find cans in the Chicagoland area. If we have Niles product here today, then most likely it is in the Chicago area stores and hopefully in cans. Any help from anyone would greatly be appreciated. i will drink the 2L but they do not keep as long as cans. We also have a full line on Dr. Brown products here in 1L and 6 pack cans, from the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of New York.

Mr Zabe
03-20-2008, 02:21 PM
bigrich,
I have yet to see those Coca Cola KP cans in my local Jewel/Dominick food stores.
Over the past 4 years or so, I have only seen KP Coke just before (+/- 1 week) before
the actual holiday of Passover. I do not doubt that Coke has produced KP Coke.

I would contact the Northbrook,Gleinview and Highland Park Jewels and Dominick's.
These communities have a thriving Jewish population.

AzRocks
03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
It must be an odd coincidence, but today i saw on the floor outside my house, a yellow KFP cap, which either means i stumbled on a cap that has been there for a year, or more likely it has arrived in NY

taz112576
03-25-2008, 06:37 PM
It must be an odd coincidence, but today i saw on the floor outside my house, a yellow KFP cap, which either means i stumbled on a cap that has been there for a year, or more likely it has arrived in NY

Kosher Coke this year has white cap..at least in Columbus and Cincinnati, OH. It was bottled in Cinncinati and shipped all over the area from there. It is definetly in some of the local Kroger stores here.

Go get some before its gone!!!

Dano
03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm in cincinnati. What local Krogers and stores are you referring to that have the Kosher Coke? Thanks

Wally1912
03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I found Passover Coca-Cola and Diet Coke at Stop & Shop on Newport Ave in Quincy, MA today for $1.50 per 2L bottle.
I haven't checked yet this year, but the Shaw's (formerly Star Market) on Commonwealth Ave in Boston has always carried it in the past.

amyers
03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I found it in Atlanta with yellow caps, 2/$3 and 10/$10 this week.

Bigjon9981
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Kosher Coke this year has white cap..at least in Columbus and Cincinnati, OH. It was bottled in Cinncinati and shipped all over the area from there. It is definetly in some of the local Kroger stores here.

Go get some before its gone!!!

I am up here in Dayton, do you know if it was shipped up here yet. Stopped by Kroger today and didnt see any...If you could start a list if anyone sees them.

taestell
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes... another Cincinnatian curious about where you found it...

slader
03-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Checked out some East-side Cleveland area stores today, since I was in the area. Found no KFP Coke in any of these stores, but stocked-up on Coke with sucrose, 12Pk fridge packs ($4.49). The 20oz bottles ($1.39) in the cases by the checkout and 2liters are also sucrose, but the 20oz 6packs on the shelf are HFC
Heinen's Mayfield Village 860 SOM Center Road
Heinen's of Willoughby 34501 Ridge Road
Heinen's Pepper Pike 30849 Pine Tree Road

Found 2Liter KFP Pepsi at Heinen's University Heights 2180 South Green Road. These were two single-case stacks beside an endcap at the end of the chip aisle. One stack of regular and one stack of diet. Each stack had a sign above it that said KFP Pepsi and KFP Diet Pepsi ($1.69). The caps are blue. I only grabbed 4 since I prefer Coke. There were about 3 cases of each left.

Tannerman
03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
My wife stopped by Hungarian Kosher Foods in Skokie, IL today (just north of Chicago). This is our usual source for Kosher Coke/Pepsi for the past few years. They don't yet have it on the shelves, but expect to have it within 2 weeks.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
My wife stopped by Hungarian Kosher Foods in Skokie, IL today (just north of Chicago). This is our usual source for Kosher Coke/Pepsi for the past few years. They don't yet have it on the shelves, but expect to have it within 2 weeks. Thks for the heads up. A few of my relatives shop there year round.
If Chicago is getting KP soda pop HKF in Skokie will for sure get it.
This store only sells Kosher foods.

mthaynes
03-31-2008, 06:17 PM
I finally found a grocery store in Newport News, VA that brought in some KFP Coke this year. Yellow Cap, sucrose on the label, bottled in Atlanta. Finally I get the good stuff! I bought as much as I felt comfortable about, seeing as I am not Jewish.

FountainCokeAddict
03-31-2008, 07:49 PM
wish i could get some passover coke but i have no idea where any jewish stores are in my town

prp2
03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Picked up some KFP Coke today as well. I'm not Jewish, and only recently did I even hear about this but I had to seek it out. Ended up getting 10 2 liter bottles in a 10/$10 sale at Shaw's in Canton, MA. Haven't yet cracked one, but I will later tonight.

Mr Zabe
03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
LOL
Enjoying KP Soda pop does not require being Jewish. LOL

Mana211
04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I had no problem finding it in 2 liters before, during, and well after passover in Food City here in Knoxville, TN when I looked last year. I may have seen it at other chains but I didn't care as I found it in the first store I looked at and continued to find it at that store for weeks after passover.

I'm sure you could find it in most any city in the top 100 list by population.

liquidlunch
04-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Kinda confused what makes a diet coke kosher.. Isn't it just the corn syrup they're replacing with real sugar to kosher-fy it? And if real sugar was in diet, er, it wouldn't be diet? Is aspartame kosher?

Hah, this is boggling my mind. Answer stat please.

Mr Zabe
04-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Kinda confused what makes a diet coke kosher.. Isn't it just the corn syrup they're replacing with real sugar to kosher-fy it? And if real sugar was in diet, er, it wouldn't be diet? Is aspartame kosher?

Hah, this is boggling my mind. Answer stat please.
The long and the short is that for both KP sugar and KP diet soda pop,
the production line (complete bottling process) has to be cleaned and
inspected by a Rabbi to make sure it is meets the laws of Kashrut for Passover.

The artificial sweetner (aspartame ???) is kosher for passover.

Corn syrup is considered to be a "leavened" food. By the laws of Kashrut
foods (foods that rise) are not KP.

This is a very quick explanation. I may have not gotten some of the details
right. It does give an general over view of KP.

Mana211
04-01-2008, 02:35 PM
This is my take on kosher diet coke.

If you read the Cane Sugar Dr. Pepper threads you'll see that in some areas cans are marked "sugar and/or cane syrup". In some cases the bottler switches sweeteners and there is what I'd call friendly contamination. They don't clean the cane sugar out completely when switching from a sugar drink to a corn syrup drink and you get a mix until all the sugar crystals wash away into the new syrup.

I'm assuming the kosher diet coke is in the same thought as "this chocolate is processed in a facility that also processes peanuts".

They are just warning you that some of the other ingredient might make it into what you are consuming.

In the case of diet coke it shouldn't have cane sugar in it but if it does it's still kosher. The kosher label just assures you that it won't have corn syrup not that it won't have sugar.

Mana211
04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh and from the Diet Coke FAQ

Does Diet Coke contain sugar?
Diet Coke contains 0.1 grams of sugar (carbohydrates), which is derived from the caramel color.

What makes up the fraction of a calorie in Diet Coke?
Aspartame, caramel color and citric acid are all ingredients of Diet Coke.

Components of each of these contribute to the caloric content of Diet Coke.

Why does the label state that Diet Coke contains zero calories?
Because the amount of calories is under five, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires that we round the amount of calories to zero on the Nutrition Facts panel.

For the record I have no factual basis for assuming there might be cane sugar contamination in a diet coke from time to time. It's just an opinion and I might be wrong...

liquidlunch
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Ah, I see. That clears this up so much. Thank you both!

Bigjon9981
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Recieved this email today from Jungle Jim's in regards to Passover Coke.

"Sorry this year we have none—to the best of my knowledge, CocaCola in Cincinnati does not have any in their warehouse and will not be getting it in."

Mr Zabe
04-04-2008, 02:11 AM
That's bad news.
At least Jungle Jim's was nice enough to
let you know.

taestell
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
"Sorry this year we have none—to the best of my knowledge, CocaCola in Cincinnati does not have any in their warehouse and will not be getting it in."

I emailed them a few weeks ago and at that point they had no info on it.

Where is the nearest location to Cincinnati with this in stock?

Bigjon9981
04-05-2008, 03:41 AM
In the past I always have gotten passover coke at Dorothy lane Market in Oakwood (suburb of Dayton) I will let the board know if I find any there.

Swifty
04-06-2008, 01:06 AM
I found them this week in Charleston, SC. Bright yellow caps. I think they're from Atlanta.

Label Guy
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Found it in Cincinnati today. Tried calling Avari in Blue Ash, a deli that had it last year, and while they aren't carrying it this year, they directed me to the Kroger on Hunt Rd. in Blue Ash. They have a huge Kosher display and had 500-1000 2-liters each of Coke and Diet Coke in the back left corner of the store. Being sold for $1.79 each or $1.59 with a Kroger Plus card. They all have white caps with a KP on them.

By the way, they also had a lot of Mexican sodas, including Coke in the glass bottles in the ethnic section.

Bigjon9981
04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks for the update, Still waiting on Dorothy lane market up here to get them. Have they ever sold anything other than 2liters in the area?

Found it in Cincinnati today. Tried calling Avari in Blue Ash, a deli that had it last year, and while they aren't carrying it this year, they directed me to the Kroger on Hunt Rd. in Blue Ash. They have a huge Kosher display and had 500-1000 2-liters each of Coke and Diet Coke in the back left corner of the store. Being sold for $1.79 each or $1.59 with a Kroger Plus card. They all have white caps with a KP on them.

By the way, they also had a lot of Mexican sodas, including Coke in the glass bottles in the ethnic section.

fusion
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
It looks like CCE is scaling back the Kosher Coke this year. We never got any in eastern MD.

treetoptom
04-08-2008, 10:55 AM
It looks like CCE is scaling back the Kosher Coke this year. We never got any in eastern MD.

Same here in the Baltimore/Washington Corridor - no Coke. Oddly, I am finding the KFP Pepsi 2 litres everywhere this year. Usually you have to go to a kosher supermarket and/or to Pikesville to get it. Saw 20-30 bottles at the tiny old Food Lion in Upper Marlboro. I guess I'll have to drink it instead - a lot cheaper than the bottles of Mexican Coke.

ichiro
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
you will be able to buy jones pure cane cola by memorial day. Much better than coke. After drinking the pcs jones, pepsi and coke with hfcs both tasted horrible. A good friend of mine agreed after i gave him a 12 pack of the jsda pcs.

SLOYAROLE
04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm in Brentwood, TN and have found the KP Coke in Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. I'm a Pepsi exclusive drinker so I'll be waiting for them to start stocking theirs.

Dano
04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
cincinnati Kosher fans--I have found KP coke at the Blue Ash Krogers, hunt road. It's in the back by the meat dept. White caps, 1.59 a 2 liter

Tech_Guy
04-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Both KFP Coke and KFP Pepsi can be found at the Giant Eagle Supermarket along Murray Avenue (north of the Parkway - Squirrel Hill Exit) in Squirrel Hill, PA. It is mixed in with the other soda pop in the regular isle, and the rear corner of the store has pallets of both. Both have white caps this year like they did last year. Squirrel Hill is a neighborhood of Pittsburgh.

If you are gallivanting around Pittsburgh, go to the Oakland neighborhood (PA 885 North Exit of the Parkway). Along Semple Street is a small Mexican grocery store called Vera Cruz Tienda Mexicana. There they have Mexican Coke in glass bottles. The 350ml glass bottles cost me $1.25 each. I am sure this isn't the only place in Pittsburgh that sells it; a few ethnic stores in the Strip District might also have it, but I would have to take a trip there to find out.

The BigTymer
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm in Brentwood, TN and have found the KP Coke in Wild Oats Natural Marketplace. I'm a Pepsi exclusive drinker so I'll be waiting for them to start stocking theirs.

Good news for me. I'll be doing some shopping in Cool Springs tomorrow, and I have a new stop on my list. If Kosher Coke is as good as Mexican Coke, I'll be stocking up.

treetoptom
04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Don't give up hope. Finally found KFP Coke this morning in the Giant in Pikesville, MD. 2 litre bottles as always, $1.50 each.

NoVA Alex
04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I've looked in a few places in Alexandria where I found it last year and have come up empty, even just down the road from the bottler. :( Only found one bottle of KP Pepsi though.

The BigTymer
04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Good news for me. I'll be doing some shopping in Cool Springs tomorrow, and I have a new stop on my list. If Kosher Coke is as good as Mexican Coke, I'll be stocking up.

To follow up:

I tried the Wild Oats mentioned above, and they didn't have any. However, I found a crapload of 2L of Passover Coke at my local Publix. The butcher was walking by, and he thought I was excited about finding matzo ball mix. Anyway, I bought a few. Good stuff.

chapsgirl
04-20-2008, 07:36 PM
i am going to give this my best shot, i am new to the message board thing and once i leave a message i am not sure how to look at a reply, but here goes the question. I thought i saw some contradiciton in what actually makes passover coke, kosher. I am getting confused on the HFCS and sugar difference. doesn't the item have to be blessed by a Rabi to make it kosher. I know there are differences in how food is prepared, i know you can't mix dairy with meat, etc. but i am just confused as to exactly why, how or what makes the coke kosher exactly, i would appreciate any insight. thanks

chapsgirl
04-20-2008, 07:53 PM
i am going to give this my best shot, i am new to the message board thing and once i leave a message i am not sure how to look at a reply, but here goes the question. I thought i saw some contradiciton in what actually makes passover coke, kosher. I am getting confused on the HFCS and sugar difference. doesn't the item have to be blessed by a Rabi to make it kosher. I know there are differences in how food is prepared, i know you can't mix dairy with meat, etc. but i am just confused as to exactly why, how or what makes the coke kosher exactly, i would appreciate any insight. thanks

Zap
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Most if not all the Sendik's stores in Milwaukee area have KP Coke, 6 pack cans. Woodman's in Oak Creek has Coke 2L near the ethnic foods section.

Just a friendly heads up for those in or near Milwaukee :)

Dano
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM

here you go----http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2006/04/16/passover_coke

amyers
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
No KFP Coke here in Newnan, GA. I've only found it at one Kroger in North Atlanta.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Most if not all the Sendik's stores in Milwaukee area have KP Coke, 6 pack cans. Woodman's in Oak Creek has Coke 2L near the ethnic foods section.

Just a friendly heads up for those in or near Milwaukee :)
I am going to have to check our woodmans for it... If they dont have it, off i go to milwaukee LOL

Dr. dnL
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Tons of Kosher Coke here in Jacksonville. I have not been able to find any kosher Pepsi or Sprite.

Will Kosher Pepsi have yellow caps like Coke or are they using white this year?

treetoptom
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM
White caps with KP on them here in DC Metro area.

Tech_Guy
04-23-2008, 12:39 AM
In Pittsburgh, PA:

Coca-Cola has white caps with the cRc P-08 triangle logo in red

Pepsi has white caps with a blue "KP"

Dr Browns has white caps with a "K-P"

01GTB
04-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Didn't find any this year. Of course with gas prices so high, I didn't try all that hard either. I checked the stores that I have found it in the past, but no signs of it.

amyers
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
My coke that I found had yellow caps and was from Hollywood, FL

Bigjon9981
04-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Well I finally came across my bottle here in Dayton. I found it at Dorthy Lane Market in Oakwood. No display this year just mixed in with the rest, noticed that it had a white cap and new it had to be the passover coke. Cap says cRc with a triangle around it and then a P-08 under the triangle. Not sure what that means but it does say sucrose on the side so I am happy.