PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi To Close PEI Glass Line

bigrich
03-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I just watched a news story on CTV (with footage) about Pepsi closing the glass bottling company in Charlottstown, PEI in May and terminating 60 employees. The PEI ban on cans ends in May.

rollntider
03-23-2008, 10:46 PM
what is PEI?

Android
03-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Prince Edward Island in Canada. Where soda is required to be sold in glass. But not for much longer, as the law is about to change there.

I thought the news story from a few months back now was that 60 employees would be able to change to new positions, and like 30 or so would be eliminated.

No Soda
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Prince Edward Island in Canada. Where soda is required to be sold in glass. But not for much longer, as the law is about to change there.

I'd like to clarify that the regulation required refillable glass bottles, as opposed to one-way containers. The province will be instituting a deposit/return system for the cans and non-refillable containers.

I'm especially saddened by this news. I visited the Island in May 2007, and decided it was worth asking for a plant tour. I spoke to Mr Kenny Macmillan, a production manager, who gave me directions to the plant, and once I arrived, answered my many questions as I watched a line of 750 mL bottles come out of the washer and be filled with Dr Pepper. The bottling line area was separate from the offices, but visible thru windows that allowed visitors a bird's eye view without actually entering the production area. Truly a lesson in "Maritime hospitality." It's a shame they can't keep the line going there to produce just the Seaman's flavors (Seaman's Beverages was the original owner of the plant, and sold it to Pepsi in 2003.)

I didn't take any pictures inside, unfortunately, due to having only a crappy single use camera, and I didn't want to be too intrusive. I did take a shot of the plant upon leaving, however:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/nosoda/pbg.jpg

I plan to visit PEI in early April for one last chance to add a few more bottles to the collection....