PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Simply Cola

Tannerman
03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
You guys probably saw BevNet's recent story (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2008/03-24-2008-red_bull_cola.asp) about Red Bull launching a soft drink called Red Bull Simply Cola.

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_redbullsimplycola01.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/03/25/coming-soon-red-bull-simply-cola/)

I was sent an anonymous submission yesterday that features the same brochure that BevNet showed in their story. Though the visual quality is pretty poor, I attempted to clean up the images and transcribe the text. You can see all those images/text here (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/03/25/coming-soon-red-bull-simply-cola/).

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_redbullsimplycola05.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/03/25/coming-soon-red-bull-simply-cola/)

Additionally, Austrian financial newspaper WirtschaftsBlatt did a story on the beverage, which of course is not in English. But if you want to check it out, it's found here (http://www.wirtschaftsblatt.at/home/oesterreich/unternehmen/salzburg/318999/index.do)

Overall, this is an interesting play for Red Bull. You would have thought they would have gone the route of all the other energy drink brands, i.e. more flavor extensions. This seems like a completely different product, no doubt priced at a premium and banking on the fans of the brand. It also plays heavily off the "natural ingredients" angle, much like we've seen lately with Pepsi Raw and Retro.

Let's see who will get the first taste! :)

myk
03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Very interesting!! Really, I cant wait to try it. How do you think they'll plan the marketing this bad boy?

liquidlunch
03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Curious what exactly they mean by "natural" on that flyer. How are the ingredients different from regular cola?

Supra TT
03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Probably going to be a flop... i dont really see this doing anything, the only thing that i can see good for them is the Red Bull name ....This reminds me of the Rockstar Cola that there once was, and we see how well that did

b0mbtrac
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
looks sexy:D

greg
03-26-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't understand the "Simply Cola" tag and then at the bottom it says that it is Strong and Natural.

I scanned the article so i didn't catch the essence other than it being a cola, but is this going to be a true Energy cola? Is that what the "Strong" denotes?

jenks
03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
i don't see this product being a flop, especially if this is taken on premise.
captain and "rbc" please.

liquidlunch
03-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Looks like bloggers are eating this up. I read this (http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2008/03/red-bull-and-cola-sitting-in-a-tree.html) over at Serious Eats (http://www.seriouseats.com/).

scum1
03-26-2008, 10:25 PM
That is where Red Bull is the king. I have yet to see any other energy drink being used in bars and clubs. It sucks that they pretend they don't want you to mix RB with alcohol while laughing all the way to the bank. That said I can see Red Bull cola taking the bars and clubs by storm. I think that is why they went with a cola. So many drinks with cola added in bars.

leisuredrummer
03-27-2008, 01:39 AM
I think we are going to see a lot of people ordering a Jack and Red Bull as opposed to a Jack and Coke in the bars. I can't see Red Bull going wrong on this one.

greg
03-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I try not to argue with Scum1 more than I have to however, after reading the blog concering that RB cola is just that, a cola, and not an energy cola, I do not see bar sales being that grand entry into the cola wars that some percieve it to be.
Consumers understand brand marketing and for that matter when it is just hype. What will RB cola provide the end user that a coke or pepsi won't when mixing it with bourbon or rum?

I do not know the price point, but, if history is any indication then the pricing will be premium. It will be hard for the average bar hop to pay the extra money for essentialy the same product.
Furthermore, I highly doubt that a canned cola will beat the cost of a "gun" soda.

2 rocks glasses side by side. Both with well brand bourbon and cola in it. One cost $3 the other $3.50. Both give you exactly the same effect. Which one would you buy? With that being said you know the price will be higher if the bar keep has to open a can everytime someone orders. Just like many other industries out there effeciancy is where the money is made. A bar keep can pour probably 4:1 gun drinks over a canned drink.
Also, I highly doubt the guy, or girl for that matter, sitting in a bar ordering bourbon or rum to mix with their cola is really that interested if it is natural or not.

lordmadone
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
bag in a box? :)

leisuredrummer
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I think people follow trends though more than they care about money. There are a LOT of people who want Red Bull and vodka and if the bar tries to give them a generic ED out of a gun, they refuse it. Simply because it's not the name, they want the real deal. Now if Red Bull can pull off some amazing marketing and make this THE cola to mix with, then they have a shot.

greg
03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I think people follow trends though more than they care about money. There are a LOT of people who want Red Bull and vodka and if the bar tries to give them a generic ED out of a gun, they refuse it. Simply because it's not the name, they want the real deal. Now if Red Bull can pull off some amazing marketing and make this THE cola to mix with, then they have a shot.

Thats all well and good with an energy drink.....but how can RB create such a buzz about their cola, which in essence is no different than a coke and pepsi, and get people to change their choice?
The brand image with RB and Vodka was carfully crafted due to it being seen as a new concoction and therefore only the original will do. Bourbon and Coke has been around long before your dad was even a twinkle in your grandfathers eye!

mjb1124
03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
At least one bar I've been to made Jager Bombs (and presumably other ED-based concoctions) with SoBe Adrenaline Rush. Nobody seemed to mind.

leisuredrummer
03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Well I understand that RB and Vodka was sort of an original drink but Red Bull hasn't been a conventional "marketeer", if you will. It would have to be a miraculous marketing ploy to have people choose to mix with a high end cola rather than the generic gun or Coke from a can but I don't put much past Red Bull.

b0mbtrac
03-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Does it have energy or is it just cola?

amyers
03-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Does it have energy or is it just cola?

http://www.bevnet.com/news/2008/03-27-2008-Red_Bull_Cola.asp

Mr Zabe
03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Could history almost be repeating itself?
In a somewhat simular way RB and the RB Cola reminds
me of the Coke II mega disaster.

Brand destination status of a industry giant like RB is
hard to extend. RB is to the energy drink brand as Xerox
was to copiers back in the 70's and 80's.

scum1
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Don't underestimate the stupidity of Red Bull drinkers. There are tons of other EDs that are better all around out there but your average energy drink consumer only knows a few. People are very loyal to Red Bull. If RB plasters bars with all their usual things like Bar mats, signs, fridges ect. People will jump on it. Really what does Red Bull do best? Advertise! They don't have to make the cheapest or best cola. I can already picture the trays at my local bar with a tall glass of iced RB and (alcohol) and the can setting next to the glass being delivered to the tables. It is a show when they trot out the red Bull now. No matter what happens. I still can't wait to watch how this all works out. It is going to be interesting for sure.

Android
03-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmm, just a normal cola and not an energy drink. If it was an energy drink, like Jolt has become or Rockstar Cola used to be, then I think they'd have a good shot of it becoming a popular mixer at least and maybe overall success. But as just a cola? I don't think it'll fly. That "all natural" thing, sorry, doesn't fit with the RB image.
-Andy

Coco Rico
03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Actually, I think the fact that it is just a cola and not an energy/cola hybrid is a good move. Seriously, how well have the Rockstar Cola's of the world really done? It's about time somebody sexed up the soda category, god knows it needs it! More than that however, I think this is perhaps just a first step for Red Bull as they attempt to grow from just an energy drink company to more of a complete beverage company. Who knows, perhaps isotonics, waters, and teas may be next on the horizon? When you have the billions of dollars laying around that they do, why not?...

CR

Coco Rico
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey all,

I managed to get a can from a friend at Red Bull who literally smuggled it out of one of their fridges at their HQ. Pretty interesting. I posted a review up in the Review section. I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks when they try it.

Unfortunately, I guzzled it down before thinking to mix it up with a little bourbon or rum. Now I'll have to wait until they launch it or my buddy can sneak me another can.

CR

mrwilmoth
05-28-2008, 08:28 AM
when in june are these launching?

scum1
07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
I managed to get my hands on one for a review. I have to say it was pretty good. I think is was extremely interesting taste wise.

hrh12
08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
this is so annoying! there should be another brand name soda/ED people request at bars - like rockstar or even a soda like vodka and fresca or vodka mountain dew.

meetingpeopleiseasy
09-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Any word on when this is going nationwide?

greg
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I tried one of these at the NACS show. I have nothing positive to say at all. If this is what a "natural cola" taste like then give me the processed stuff all day long.
I took a sip and didn't like it immediately. I walked directly across the aisle to the PepsiCo booth and looked at the girl sampling Gatorade. I told her I thought it tasted it horrible, she said " I Know" and then she pointed to the trash can beside her podium. It was full of RB Cola cans that were mostly full. I took another sip to verify that my initial lack of enthusism was correct , and it was , then I added to her collection. She just laughed.

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I want to try this **** so bad. When is it going nationwide? Anyone? Anyone?

jeff[attc]
10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Just picked up a can this morning here's what's in it:
water,sugar,carbon dioxide, natural flavor(galangal vanilla, mustard seed, lime, kola nut, cacao, licorice, cinnamon, lemon, ginger, coca leaf, orange, corn mint, pine, cardamom, mace, clove), lemon juice concentrate, caffeine from coffee beans.

This is directly from the can. Looks like a weird mixture. And Coca Leafs! How is this stuff on the shelves? Have not drank it yet. Will let you guys know.

*edit*
Tastes like a watered down coke with a hint of cinnamon and lemon. Was expecting something better but hey the can looks cool hahahahha.

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
;364764']Just picked up a can this morning here's what's in it:
water,sugar,carbon dioxide, natural flavor(galangal vanilla, mustard seed, lime, kola nut, cacao, licorice, cinnamon, lemon, ginger, coca leaf, orange, corn mint, pine, cardamom, mace, clove), lemon juice concentrate, caffeine from coffee beans.

This is directly from the can. Looks like a weird mixture. And Coca Leafs! How is this stuff on the shelves? Have not drank it yet. Will let you guys know.

*edit*
Tastes like a watered down coke with a hint of cinnamon and lemon. Was expecting something better but hey the can looks cool hahahahha.
Where did you find it? Store name, city and state please.

jeff[attc]
10-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Cypress Bend Cafe Austin,TX

fusion
10-13-2008, 12:05 AM
I found it at Acme Markets here in Delaware.

Not a big fan of it, myself.

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-13-2008, 01:32 AM
ugh....I need to try this stuff so bad. I would light fire to an orphanage for one can.

greg
10-14-2008, 06:30 PM
ugh....I need to try this stuff so bad. I would light fire to an orphanage for one can.

IMO...save the match...its not worth it.

CitrusCola
10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
A friend of mine who tasted it said it was nasty.

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I hope it's awful, I still want to try it worse than anything.

lordmadone
10-18-2008, 08:53 PM
our plant manager brought it to our meeting just to show us what to not allow take our space..haha 12 oz can for like 1.69..ridiculous.

SPLASTiK
10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I bought one in Portland, OR in July at a 7-11 when I was visting... I bought some other drinks and was saving it for later but forgot about it in my backpack. Then going through airport security it was confiscated... I was tempted to take it outside security and go through the line again but I was running late and afraid I might miss my flight. I asked the guy if I could chug it in front of him but he wouldn't let me... I've been to NYC, Philly, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver and some other cities since then and still haven't seen it anywhere unfortunately.

On the subject of "energy soda", Wired has a new energy soda line. Cola, Dr Pepper knockoff, Mountain Dew knock off, and Diet version of the Cola and Dr Pepper using sucralose. They all contain 144mg of caffeine. Wired Energy Drink (http://www.wiredenergydrink.com/ext_dietcola.html)

mjb1124
10-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I was not impressed with this. It tasted like a lab experiment gone terribly wrong - a bunch of flavors that just weren't meant to be mixed. And in spite of it not being an "energy" cola, it had an energy drink-like aftertaste.

Seriously folks, some things just aren't meant to be natural.

meetingpeopleiseasy
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I finally found it!! and it's sooooooo good! I'm not even being my usual sarcastic self. I really really like it. It's very clean, and refreshing.

Tannerman
11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I was able to track this drink down at a Speedway gas station in Kentucky. So I took the customary "can + tree" photo, which you can see below :)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_redbullsimplycola1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/11/10/review-red-bull-simply-cola/)

As I mentioned in my write-up on the drink (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/11/10/review-red-bull-simply-cola/), it tasted pretty good. No argument with that. But like others have noted, I have to ask "what's the point" of this drink? The caffeine levels aren't very high, it's got a premium pricepoint, and why would Red Bull really be wanting to get into the shrinking CSD world?

However, as a cola on its own merits, it's pretty tasty :)

DJ HawaiianShirt
11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
As a cola fanatic, I was disappointed to find this stuff just isn't that good.

I was hoping that they'd go for their own take on the very vague "cola" flavor, but despite the impressive ingredients list, this really just tastes like a slightly-modded Coke with a bitter aftertaste.

If anyone wants a truly interesting cola with natural ingredient, go buy Boylan's Sugar Cane Cola(http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/boylans/).

Android
11-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I tried it this morning myself - I didn't really care for it, and at $1.50 a can I won't be buying it again.

-Andy

Mr Zabe
12-05-2008, 09:26 PM
This article must be word for word from the RB press release. LMAO

Red Bull Cola jolts market (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/1310409,FOO-News-det03.article)

Tannerman
12-08-2008, 03:41 PM
This article must be word for word from the RB press release. LMAO

Zabe, I thought the same thing when I read that from the Sun-Times last week. It didn't even have a localized Chicago purpose.

leisuredrummer
12-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Tannerman, I dont think you get enough credit for your bottle+tree pics, so just let me say that, I for one, enjoy them.

Tannerman
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Tannerman, I dont think you get enough credit for your bottle+tree pics, so just let me say that, I for one, enjoy them.

Thanks. It's appreciated :)

lordmadone
12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Tried a second one just for ****s and giggles...still disliked it.

greg
12-10-2008, 06:21 PM
I can't believe bevNet voted RB Cola as the carbonated drink of the year.
Look through these entries and the majority say they do not like the taste, don't understand the concept, or recognize the value it brings to RB. Of course some say they like it but more say the don't. I don't get it.....or do I??????/

fusion
12-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Considering the lack of innovation from the big guys this year, I'd say RB Cola was about the only innovative soda this year.

Tannerman
12-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I can't believe bevNet voted RB Cola as the carbonated drink of the year.

Yeah, that's quite a head scratcher. But maybe it will also be the "Extinct Beverage of the Year" pretty soon :)

greg
12-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Considering the lack of innovation from the big guys this year, I'd say RB Cola was about the only innovative soda this year.

IMO I think that Pepsico did a great job with Mtn Dew Voltage. That is a soda that was actually chosen by the consumer to stay on the shelf, furthermore, I think that is more innovative in concept(for a soda/beverage company) than , repectively, Scott Henderson did at 5 hour, Sure he created bland, to the point commercials,(which I though effective) and put forth $50mm to do it, but Pepsico actually got their consumer involved in making the choice about a product other than by some simple marketing group effort on Saturdays down at the local mall.

BluejacketT
12-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I thought it was going to taste real nasty, but it taste pretty good (except for the aftertaste).

meetingpeopleiseasy
12-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I like Red Bull Simply Cola enough to agree that it's the best new carbonated beverage of the year, but if Sierra Mist Free Undercover Orange would have stuck around I would have given it to that.