PDA

View Full Version : New Energy Drinks... What do customers look for?

BigJayMiller
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I am just curious here people, when people look at new energy drinks at their local convenience store, deli, etc., what are they looking for? Price? ingredients? vitamin content? Flashy can? what? your imput here is greatly appreciated. TY in advance!!

b0mbtrac
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Taste, Kick, Price, Logo.

And to me i also like sponsorship, for like, X-game stuff.

BigJayMiller
03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
ok, but if ur lookin at it, you havent tasted it yet. what else ya got?

lordmadone
03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Good descriptions catch me too..and if its a brand thats been around for a minute with a line extension..

francoenergy99
03-28-2008, 12:20 AM
deit,sugar free, lo-carb, and lites have been pretty popular

b0mbtrac
03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Well certain colors catch peoples eyes more, such as bright colors. The first energy drink i tried was monster, mainly because i thought the can looked cool, and because of its reputation. Another thing, is what else their company offers, i tried amp because i like mountain dew, i tried sobe no fear because i like sobe. If i was starting a convenience store, i would order well know and trusted energy drinks, then trow in a random original energy drink that no ones heard of. Thats about all i can tell you.

BluejacketT
03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Price, logo & taste.

For ones I hadn't tasted yet: price, logo & it's something I would want to try.

francoenergy99
03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I like all the deit energy drinks there good and healthy! yumm:)

SonicFury
03-29-2008, 10:55 PM
For me, ingredients are everything. Numbers hidden in "energy blends" are a huge turn off, honest caffeine content labeling is a big turn on.

Aside ingredients, it's the name and a design unique from the rest.

CerealKiller85
03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Brand Name Recognition is probably number one. People who buy cotton swabs call them q-tips, people who buy facial tissue call them kleenex. So when I go to a store and see Mountain Dew, a brand that i find synonymous with caffeine, has an energy drink, I think "ok that makes sense and I trust them to deliver on something they are known for".

Personally I can only drink Mountain Dew on occasion because i have to be in the mood for that taste, AMP is like hopped up mountain dew so it also has the same effect.

As an example just today I went to the store to get an Energy drink to take to work because I work nights and I find the extra energy/mind trickery because i think I'm getting energy keeps me going so when I get off work i can still do things and not want to sleep. I enter the aisle and reach for where I know they keep my favorite ED Sobe Adrenaline Rush.

(As an aside, I found Energy Rush because I liked Sobe and it happened that I tried Sobe one day as a random choice in a 7-11 years ago)

But I stop and see that the afore-mentioned AMP (again, which I like but in small doses) has 3 new flavors. Being that I already like AMP well enough to make a purchase and they have some clout with me I opt not for my usual but for the new Orange Flavored AMP. Also in that decision was the fact that Mountain Dew has an orange offshoot "livewire" which unlike mountain dew i can drink repeatedly without having to be "in the mood" for it. I think to myself, "Since AMP is to me hopped up mountain dew, surely AMP RELAUNCH is hopped up livewire" As it turns out, I was right in that assumption and I now have a number 2 favorite ED in AMP RELAUNCH.

In the end My purchase was based on Brand Recognition, delivery of a new but familiar product, placement of new product near old faithful product, and the ability of myself to deductivly reason that Mountain Dew would likely take something they already make and that people enjoy and AMP it up.

CerealKiller85
03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
I am just curious here people, when people look at new energy drinks at their local convenience store, deli, etc., what are they looking for? Price? ingredients? vitamin content? Flashy can? what? your imput here is greatly appreciated. TY in advance!!

Just to make sure I address the OP's question completly.

Price doesn't do it for me because when im looking for an energy drink I assume to spend around 2 bucks for the premium of "energy".

Ingredients are rarely a factor because again most ED's are similar in actual content.

Vitamin content is for me a non issue thanks to one-a-day vitamins.

Flashy cans are cool but only maybe midway up the list.

With name recognition being number one i'd say next to that is word of mouth.

Repeat purchases are solely based on taste and if I don't feel groggy at the end of my work day.

greg
04-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Just to make sure I address the OP's question completly.

Price doesn't do it for me because when im looking for an energy drink I assume to spend around 2 bucks for the premium of "energy".

Ingredients are rarely a factor because again most ED's are similar in actual content.

Vitamin content is for me a non issue thanks to one-a-day vitamins.

Flashy cans are cool but only maybe midway up the list.

With name recognition being number one i'd say next to that is word of mouth.

Repeat purchases are solely based on taste and if I don't feel groggy at the end of my work day.

I think you sell yourself short on only buying an energy drink based on "brand recognition". I also think you sell yourself short by thinking that the enrgy derived from drinking energy drinks is purely psychsomatic.
If you are an avid ED drinker then I think it serves you well to look at ingredient profiles and see actually what you are getting. You are correct that most of the ED profiles are simialr, Caffeine, Taurine, Glucuronolactone, and B vitamins and a WHOLE LOT OF SUGAR!

Other drinks out there give you the caffeine yet provide other ingredients to act synergisticly to create a greater energy effect as well as no sugar for the insulin spike for the uptake of said engredients.
Sure they may cost a little more, but you are getting a much better product, IMO.

francoenergy99
04-01-2008, 08:21 AM
For some reason that quick reply never works for me, futhermore I hate tons of sugar, but I got like 4 full throttles for free and one monster assualt for free so I've been drinking sugaured energy drinks even though I hate them, I just got them for free, but I usally drink the deit ones.

CerealKiller85
04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I think you sell yourself short on only buying an energy drink based on "brand recognition". I also think you sell yourself short by thinking that the enrgy derived from drinking energy drinks is purely psychsomatic.

I don't think it's purely psychosomatic but i think it kind of adds to the pot. Alot of how much energy you have on a day to day basis can be based on how you look at what is ahead of you. If you tell yourself your tired you shut yourself down faster.

BigJayMiller
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
great response, killer.

how does everyone feel about price? my company owns a 12 oz. energy drink, costing a meager 99 cents.