PDA

View Full Version : do energy drinks cause heart problems?

blitersety
03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Recently I became sort of hooked on energy drinks. I've had the privelege of drinking many different ones and I've decided that my favorite is Rockstar but lately I've been having some trouble with it.

I noticed that Rockstar is the only energy drink that makes my heart beat a lot faster than it should be. For example I might be just sitting down at my computer drinking a can of Rockstar and all of a sudden I can just feel my heart pounding in my chest and I have to start taking deeper breaths to keep up with it.

So I'm kind of concerned about that... today it happened for a short while after I drank only 1/3 of a 16oz can.

Other energy drinks don't do this to me, and Rockstar didn't used to either so I don't know what's going on. Am I developing some kind of heart condition? Should I stop drinking energy drinks?

Normal caffeine consumption (i.e. coffee, tea, soft drinks, even caffeinated gum) doesn't do this to me so I don't think the problem lies with the caffeine content but I can't be certain.

Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

b0mbtrac
03-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I had the same sort of problem but with monster. So you should probably stop drinking energy drinks or caffeine in general for a while, or after you drink a rockstar do something physical to put the extra energy to use. i once had four monsters and a nos in about 2 hours and i was having trouble breathing so i went on a three mile run and that did the trick. but it would be better if you let off the caffeine for a while or at least less.

SonicFury
03-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I suggest you do some emperical research. All the news reports and subjective statements mean nothing.

Here's a couple places to do some searching for such research
PubMed Home (http://www.pubmed.com)
Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com)

DudeMan
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
While all the hype and news link the effects of energy drinks solely to caffeine, I would have to disagree. ED's stress me out far more than straight caffeine drinks. Some research ahs proven that the combination of caffeine, taurine, and glucuronolcatone, has a stimulant effect.

Also, this stimulant effect can trigger anxiety. What you are describing sounds like it could be a mini panic attack reaction.

SonicFury
03-31-2008, 04:24 AM
While all the hype and news link the effects of energy drinks solely to caffeine, I would have to disagree. ED's stress me out far more than straight caffeine drinks. Some research ahs proven that the combination of caffeine, taurine, and glucuronolcatone, has a stimulant effect.

Also, this stimulant effect can trigger anxiety. What you are describing sounds like it could be a mini panic attack reaction.

First, Your personal measure of increased "stress" from energy drinks really doesn't apply. It's not only a personal account, but a highly subjective one considering we're talking about stress here. Subjective descriptions of feelings are incredibly variable.

Second, research never "proves" anything. It merely suggests correlations. I want statistics that compare the stimulative effects of ED combos as compared to caffeine alone, percentages aren't enough. I'm talking main effects, significance measures, and multiple regression analysis. If those aren't there, it's not thorough research. Personally, I've yet to find such convincing research.

francoenergy99
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Sonic makes a good point's it's not proven if it could kill why would they sell it? It just kills people cause people overuse them! Your not supposed to drink them for breakfast lunch and dinner lol!

blitersety
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had an energy drinks since I posted however I have been drinking a lot of tea and I bought some jolt energy gum, and I haven't experienced any stress or anxiety-like symptoms from them.

I'm really starting to think that it has something to do with the combination of stimulants that Rockstar has in it. I'll buy myself a can of monster later today and see if anything happens and if not, then I guess I'll just stop drinking Rockstar lol.

It's not like I overused them before... I'm talking like a maximum of one can per day so I wasn't "overdosing" on caffeine.

I talked to my health teacher at school about it to see what he thought, and he thinks it has something to do with all of the sugar that's in energy drinks. He said that's just a result of the sugar rush but idk.

greg
04-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had an energy drinks since I posted however I have been drinking a lot of tea and I bought some jolt energy gum, and I haven't experienced any stress or anxiety-like symptoms from them.

I'm really starting to think that it has something to do with the combination of stimulants that Rockstar has in it. I'll buy myself a can of monster later today and see if anything happens and if not, then I guess I'll just stop drinking Rockstar lol.

It's not like I overused them before... I'm talking like a maximum of one can per day so I wasn't "overdosing" on caffeine.

I talked to my health teacher at school about it to see what he thought, and he thinks it has something to do with all of the sugar that's in energy drinks. He said that's just a result of the sugar rush but idk.

I am not a doctor and the advice I am about to give is in no way a sign that I know what I am talking about.
However, you mention that you talked to your Health teacher at school........I may be wrong about your state( wherever that may be) but most states have guidelines for persons under 18 and their use of energy drinks. Just look on the side of the can and I bet you $10 to a donut that somewhere it says that it is not intended for minors, again, most states define a minor being 18 or younger.

Also, Considering your age you may want to see a doctor about your "heart problems". It may be something simple or it may be a warning sign of something else that manifests itself when you take stimulants.

Just a suggestion.

francoenergy99
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
It's the Rockstar dude it's got a high content of gaurana higher than most energy drinks. I use to work at a cyber cafe 12 sometime 13 hours a day it was sooooooooo boring I would constantly get so tired I use to drink rockstar all the time at that job and aways had the runs. I know thats foul, but it was because the guarana they have way to much in that drink and it doesn't mix with all that caffeine well I stay far away rockstar ****s nasty literally. It's over priced and overrated.

rollntider
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
i noticed freek rage did that to me, but the other freeks, monsters and jokers did not. Not sure what was so special about the rage...

blitersety
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I am not a doctor and the advice I am about to give is in no way a sign that I know what I am talking about.
However, you mention that you talked to your Health teacher at school........I may be wrong about your state( wherever that may be) but most states have guidelines for persons under 18 and their use of energy drinks. Just look on the side of the can and I bet you $10 to a donut that somewhere it says that it is not intended for minors, again, most states define a minor being 18 or younger.

Also, Considering your age you may want to see a doctor about your "heart problems". It may be something simple or it may be a warning sign of something else that manifests itself when you take stimulants.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah you're right I'm under 18 and the energy drinks in my state all say "this product not intended for children, pregnant women, or people sensitive to caffeine" or something like that. But I've done a lot of research on caffeine and from what I've read, it has the same effects on children as it does on adults, and I rarely (if ever) go over the recommended limit of 300 mg/day. Besides, at 16 I'm only 2 years away from being an adult anyway.

I also did some research on heart palpitations, and apparently they can be caused by consuming caffeine. However what I was getting wasn't heart palpitations per se in my opinion... my heart rate only sped up, it wasn't irregular. Furthermore, I bought a can of red bull yesterday to see if I'd have the same problem with a drink other than rockstar, and I didn't experience any problems.

Therefore I must conclude that there has to be something in Rockstar that's causing this to happen to me. It doesn't matter to me if it's too much guarana or something else, I think I'll just stay away from that one for now on.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Mr Zabe
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah you're right I'm under 18 and the energy drinks in my state all say "this product not intended for children, pregnant women, or people sensitive to caffeine" or something like that. But I've done a lot of research on caffeine and from what I've read, it has the same effects on children as it does on adults, and I rarely (if ever) go over the recommended limit of 300 mg/day. Besides, at 16 I'm only 2 years away from being an adult anyway.

I also did some research on heart palpitations, and apparently they can be caused by consuming caffeine. However what I was getting wasn't heart palpitations per se in my opinion... my heart rate only sped up, it wasn't irregular. Furthermore, I bought a can of red bull yesterday to see if I'd have the same problem with a drink other than rockstar, and I didn't experience any problems.

Therefore I must conclude that there has to be something in Rockstar that's causing this to happen to me. It doesn't matter to me if it's too much guarana or something else, I think I'll just stay away from that one for now on.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Keep up the good work. Good job on your research.
I would still think it would be a good idea to get a check up with your Dr.
Just to be safe.:)

francoenergy99
04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
It's the high guaranna content, but then agian if you drank it warm that can be another issue, I drank a full throttle warm the other day and it messed me all up yesterday I drank another cold as can be it tasted great and went down really smooth. So that might be another reason!

Mr Zabe
04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I think this article relates to this topic.

'Z' says he'll drink more water (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/875470,CST-SPT-zamb03.article)

blitersety
04-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Just a quick update, I talked to my doctor about it and he said it's probably nothing to worry about, and I should just stay away from Rockstar and pick a different ED to drink.

meetingpeopleiseasy
04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
They don't bother my pacemaker.

jazzy
02-04-2011, 03:46 PM
My name is Jazzy, im 16, and im a sophomore. I've been drinking monster since i was in the 7 or 8th grade, and ive had reall bad chest pains since 8th grade. I didnt think anything about it, because i thought it might have been growing pains, or something along the lines of it.

About a week ago, my chest pains got worse, and they've been happening non stop for no reason. I havent drank a monster in over 4 months, so i do not know what it causing my chest pains. Two of my moms friends have had to have heart surgery because their hearts werent pumping blood correctly. the doctor said it was the damage from an ingredient in the monster energy drinks. I have been drinking monsters longer than my moms friends, and i dont know what i should do. Every time i ask my mom to schedule an app., she says im fine. Any advice on what these chest pains chould be? It it serious/ or fatal?