PDA

View Full Version : Caffiene-free energy drink?

Drognarmk
04-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi, I am looking for a caffiene free energy drink that actually tastes and looks like an energy, (something along the lines of a no caffiene monster would do). Prefferably something without artificial sweetners, too, but the flavor doesn't matter. thanx in advance.

jacksmom
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
The only one I've heard of is the new 5-hour energy drink that's supposedly caffeine free (well, mostly, I think it still has 5 mg of caffeine, although I'm not sure why. 5 mg isn't enough to get a fly going).

Drognarmk
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
The only one I've heard of is the new 5-hour energy drink that's supposedly caffeine free (well, mostly, I think it still has 5 mg of caffeine, although I'm not sure why. 5 mg isn't enough to get a fly going).

Isn't 5-hour energy one of those shot things? I'm pretty sure that that has more caffiene then your average energy drink, and its full of artifical sweetners. Also I'm not really looking for any thing sugar-free either, I'd prefer something with a lot of sugar. Oh yeah, just visted the site and there is caf-free version, although there like 3.00-4.00 for tiny shot thing, in other words rip-off.

greg
04-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Isn't 5-hour energy one of those shot things? I'm pretty sure that that has more caffiene then your average energy drink, and its full of artifical sweetners. Also I'm not really looking for any thing sugar-free either, I'd prefer something with a lot of sugar. Oh yeah, just visted the site and there is caf-free version, although there like 3.00-4.00 for tiny shot thing, in other words rip-off.

Wait a second......you asked for a caffeine free "energy drink" and then when jacksmom tells you of one with about 5 mg( thats about as close as you are going to get) you complain it cost too much? How much does a specialty drink tailored for your liking need to cost.
By what you are asking for: caffeine free, lots of sugar, no artificial sweetners, and be somewhat like a Monster......that is a lot to ask. I for one would say that if there is a market for such a drink, and I am sure there is, it would be niche at best and to pay $3-$4 for it would be reasonable.

greg
04-02-2008, 03:59 PM

The 5mgs is kind of like the cold cranking amps of a battery...they are only needed to initiate the "switch" or to turn on receptors for the onslaught of B vitamins and the folic acid heading their way.
A mild slap in the face if you will.

Drognarmk
04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Wait a second......you asked for a caffeine free "energy drink" and then when jacksmom tells you of one with about 5 mg( thats about as close as you are going to get) you complain it cost too much? How much does a specialty drink tailored for your liking need to cost.
By what you are asking for: caffeine free, lots of sugar, no artificial sweetners, and be somewhat like a Monster......that is a lot to ask. I for one would say that if there is a market for such a drink, and I am sure there is, it would be niche at best and to pay $3-$4 for it would be reasonable.

If anything a caffiene-free energy drink should cost less, I mean thats one less ingredient you have to add. I never even tried one of those shot things before, and I said preferably no artifical sweetners, the only reason why I complained about the 5 hour energy is because its a diet energy. The sugar content doesn't matter unless it has nothing, I'm just not into the whole diet energy drink fad.

Drognarmk
04-02-2008, 04:39 PM

If anything a caffiene-free energy drink should cost less, I mean thats one less ingredient you have to add. I never even tried one of those shot things before, and I said preferably no artifical sweetners, the only reason why I complained about the shot is that I'm sure it tastes nothing like an energy drink. The sugar content doesn't matter unless it has nothing, I'm just not into the whole diet energy drink fad.
Ex.-Go Fast Energy-slightly below average sugar, great taste, no artifical sweetners, average 10 Mg of caffiene.
I'd be drinkin that except for the caffiene content and I'm not currently in an area that sells it.
How about something with lower than average caffiene, tastes good, and has no sweetners?

ehinkes
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Try Hooah, no caffeine... although I think it makes it more like a Gatorade than anything else.

There's also Green U, although it has residual caffeine from the green tea.

Brain Toniq is another one as is Life Classic, and Sea20

Drognarmk
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Try Hooah, no caffeine... although I think it makes it more like a Gatorade than anything else.

There's also Green U, although it has residual caffeine from the green tea.

Hey thanx man, I heard of hooah but not the others, I'll look into them, though.

rollntider
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
If anything a caffiene-free energy drink should cost less, I mean thats one less ingredient you have to add. I never even tried one of those shot things before, and I said preferably no artifical sweetners, the only reason why I complained about the 5 hour energy is because its a diet energy. The sugar content doesn't matter unless it has nothing, I'm just not into the whole diet energy drink fad.
well actually it wouldnt, cause the whole supply demand thing. everyone (mostly) wants an energy drink with caffeine, you dont, they have to market, package and distribute yet another line of their drinks. If Monster sells a caff-free drink, thats more marketing dollars, packaging etc...

Plus being harder to find it might have a higher premium. let us know what else you find on the caff-free drinks.

Thanks.

greg
04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
well actually it wouldnt, cause the whole supply demand thing. everyone (mostly) wants an energy drink with caffeine, you dont, they have to market, package and distribute yet another line of their drinks. If Monster sells a caff-free drink, thats more marketing dollars, packaging etc...

Plus being harder to find it might have a higher premium. let us know what else you find on the caff-free drinks.

Thanks.

Thanks for the help rollintider. If I can add more to it. Caffeine is a relatively abundant and therefore cheap source of raw material for many different uses. If you are to make an energy drink with other than the "industry norm" you would need to make it with raw materials that are not as readily available that produce the same effect as caffeine. By this I mean if they worked as well as caffeine and were as cheap as caffeine then they would be used as much as caffeine. But that is not the case, therefore increasing their cost.
I will also add that the industry has learned how to "mask" the taste of caffeine and again, certain industry norms have come into play to do that. By using new and less used ingredients new methods must be incorporated to over come the nasty tatse of raw materials. New flavoring methods take time and energy to accomplish.
Just throwing raw material in a bucket and some flavoring is not as easy as it sounds.

Drognarmk
04-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks.

You may be right my friend but surely their are those that want alternative source of energy other caffiene especially with all the **** going around about its negative effects, I'm sure those people would by a caffiene energy drink in a snap.

francoenergy99
04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't like too much caffine, but just enough xl has like 30mg that's not so bad.

greg
04-04-2008, 09:07 AM
You may be right my friend but surely their are those that want alternative source of energy other caffiene especially with all the **** going around about its negative effects, I'm sure those people would by a caffiene energy drink in a snap.

I understand the consumer interest in a non caffeinated energy drink. I am sure their is interest, however, the question needs to be asked: How big is the market that wants such a drink? As of right now the market segment is small and therefore volume measures for a drink will surely be low and keep the catagory in a niche.
Niche category products are lower volume and cost tend to be higher. Volume breaks from manufacturers differ greatly based on a 1mm can run vs. a 10mm can run.

scum1
04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a pack of 5hr decaf shots. I'll have to review it soon. I have to say that 99% of people I know when they hear of a decaf energy drink always say Why? Or thats stupid. I think the market is limited. Try a Crazyhorse energy. it has only 37mg of caffeine in it and is pretty good.

greg
04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I have a pack of 5hr decaf shots. I'll have to review it soon. I have to say that 99% of people I know when they hear of a decaf energy drink always say Why? Or thats stupid. I think the market is limited. Try a Crazyhorse energy. it has only 37mg of caffeine in it and is pretty good.

I just check ed the site for CRAZYHORSE.....Where does the energy come from? Seriously? They have less cafffeine and just a miniscule amount of B vitamins for the energy ingredients. Did I miss something?

On a lesser note thier comparison chart is wrong( typo) They say that both the Sugars and the Carbohydrates are measured in mg's. This is wrong, it should be in grams.

greg
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
DROG......

The BevNet powers that be must have read your post.
VITA 500 is your answer.

However, it does have 35g of sugar in it, and in my opinion I would rather deal with the caffeine than the sugar.

And another thing.....The name sounds like some 60's throwback bodybuilding supplement and the packaging looks to be about 10 years older than the name.

Lusos
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM

Speaking of this Sea2o, does anyone know where I can find it [on the east coast]? Are there any energy drink suppliers on the internet from which I can purchase this?

Thanks.

scum1
04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
here (http://www.amazon.com/SEA2O-Organic-Energy-Drink-10-5-Ounce/dp/B00155SV0K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1207949556&sr=8-1)

try looking on amazon for sea2o 2 dollars a can(have to buy a case) and free shipping.

Drognarmk
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
DROG......

The BevNet powers that be must have read your post.
VITA 500 is your answer.

However, it does have 35g of sugar in it, and in my opinion I would rather deal with the caffeine than the sugar.

And another thing.....The name sounds like some 60's throwback bodybuilding supplement and the packaging looks to be about 10 years older than the name.

I asked for something that doesn't look like wack, man. I know your tryin and I appriciate that but I'm looking for something that doesn't criss-cross between heath-drink and energy drink. Seriously that stuff ain't even carbonated.
On another note any tried that springbac stuff?