PDA

View Full Version : has coke changed the "red" on its packaging?

popologist
04-06-2008, 10:02 PM
i saw a discarded coke bottle (plastic) on the street today and noticed that the red on the label is a different color than it used to be. it's a very deep red now... not the orangey red of a year or so ago.

now, from what i understand, coca-cola's "red" is trademarked; however, they've definitely changed the hue of their red over the years (if you look at their packaging over the decades).

do they have different trademarked reds? can someone clear this up?

(note: i like the new red better. it's a very powerful red.)

Swifty
04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
From what I understand, can printing technology finally advanced to the point that they are more successfully able to reproduce "Coke Red" on cans now. I so wish I could find the interview with the art director who was able to help push the new design through.

How this relates to bottles, I'm not sure.

But I agree - the red is definitely more vibrant. Which I think is more a result of printing technology advances rather than a change in hue.

XLS_04
04-07-2008, 01:34 AM
The previous Coke logo was darker red and it made the can appear to be more shiny than usual.

I noticed more of a change on the gold on Caffeine Free graphics though, right now it is light gold, it was darker about 5 years ago. Overall most people don't notice though.