PDA

View Full Version : Has Coke upgraded Diet Coke?

billygtexas
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I was at a meeting today and the only diet drink that was in the vending machine was Diet Coke.

I noticed it tasted much sweeter than it used to. I wonder has Coke updated the formula or artificial sweeteners of Diet Coke, or is it because I'm so used to drinking Coke Zero all the time?

mjb1124
04-10-2008, 01:09 AM
As far as I know it's still the same formula as always. Maybe you just remember it tasting differently. Either that or you had a Diet Coke Plus or Diet Coke w/ Splenda.

Mr Zabe
04-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Ok,no one to my memory has ever made this point.
I find that soda pop taste varies with what I have just eaten
or not eaten. If I eat salty foods,my Pepsi tastes sweeter.
My point is that at least for me, my tastes buds are sensitive
to the residue foods I have eaten. IMO

Coca Cola and Pepsi have strict quality control for their soda pops.

billygtexas
04-10-2008, 05:37 AM
No it was just ordinary Diet Coke in the silver can from a vending machine. Nothing unusual about it.

I have tried Diet Coke plus, and this can of DC seemed as sweet as plus does. Might have been the pizza I had a couple hours before.

francoenergy99
04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Diet Coke for some reason is so better than Deit Pepsi

meetingpeopleiseasy
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I heard it secretly has 1 calorie again.

popologist
04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
i think it has something to do with drinking so much coke zero.

i had to drink some diet coke from the vending machine at work the other week (because someone was stealing the coke zero that i bring in--they drank 5 cans out of my 12 pack!!!).

anyway, so i had to drink a diet coke and, while it didn't taste nearly as good coke zero, it wasn't as repugnant as i remember (though it was still bad). i think that our taste buds get used to the sweeteners. that's all.

I was at a meeting today and the only diet drink that was in the vending machine was Diet Coke.

I noticed it tasted much sweeter than it used to. I wonder has Coke updated the formula or artificial sweeteners of Diet Coke, or is it because I'm so used to drinking Coke Zero all the time?

mjb1124
04-11-2008, 12:43 AM
It could also be that you guys are used to the fountain formula, which is sweetened partially with saccharin and has a noticeably stronger bitterness.

jyhill
04-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Ok,no one to my memory has ever made this point.
I find that soda pop taste varies with what I have just eaten
or not eaten. If I eat salty foods,my Pepsi tastes sweeter.
My point is that at least for me, my tastes buds are sensitive
to the residue foods I have eaten. IMO

Coca Cola and Pepsi have strict quality control for their soda pops.
Actually there's a scientific basis to what you say.

Salt molecules block the bitter receptors on the back of the tongue, so the net effect is the sweet receptors take up more "bandwidth" of the taste pathways to the brain.

Imagine trying to listen to a whisper in a crowded room of shouting people. If you silence a few of the shouters, you'll better be able to hear the whisperer.

It works the same way with this salty/bitter/sweet phenomenon.

francoenergy99
04-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Deit Cokes great it has 50 mg of caffine to almost like an energy drink!

popologist
04-11-2008, 07:43 AM
thanks! very interesting!

Actually there's a scientific basis to what you say.

Salt molecules block the bitter receptors on the back of the tongue, so the net effect is the sweet receptors take up more "bandwidth" of the taste pathways to the brain.

Imagine trying to listen to a whisper in a crowded room of shouting people. If you silence a few of the shouters, you'll better be able to hear the whisperer.

It works the same way with this salty/bitter/sweet phenomenon.