PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi's "Have We Met Before?" campaign

liquidlunch
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
The new Pepsi cans might have touched your mouth already. It's because they're launching a recycling campaign called "Have we Met Before" where at least 40% of the aluminum cans will be made from recycled material. On each can there's a fun recycling fact too, provided by the National Recycling Coalition.

There's plenty of them out there too -- 500 million regular pepsi cans and 250 million diets nationwide each month. Sounds like a good idea, yes? Especially since most people recycle if they get an extra nudge. I don't know anyone who's anti-recycling... The fun factoid on the can will be the nudge people need.

Mr Zabe
04-17-2008, 04:39 PM
The new Pepsi cans might have touched your mouth already. It's because they're launching a recycling campaign called "Have we Met Before" where at least 40% of the aluminum cans will be made from recycled material. On each can there's a fun recycling fact too, provided by the National Recycling Coalition.

There's plenty of them out there too -- 500 million regular pepsi cans and 250 million diets nationwide each month. Sounds like a good idea, yes? Especially since most people recycle if they get an extra nudge. I don't know anyone who's anti-recycling... The fun factoid on the can will be the nudge people need.
I picked up a few Pepsi fridge packs last week that were produced on 4/04/08. They were the new
can art. Just as liquidlunch described;very cool and IMO most artful design.

liquidlunch
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Check out the photo of the new bright blue, eco Pepsi cans! Glad to hear that they're in fridge pack form.

lordmadone
04-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I am anti-recycling for ANYTHING not aluminum can or glass bottle..its not efficient to recycle plastic bottles or even paper/cardboard. Just watch Penn and Teller's bull**** on recycling..it clears up a lot of misconceptions.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Check out the photo of the new bright blue, eco Pepsi cans! Glad to hear that they're in fridge pack form.

Here in Mexico, Pepsi is stucked with the first background designs, they haven't released new ones...

No Soda
04-20-2008, 12:16 AM

Please understand that the "National Recycling Coalition" is nothing more than a front group supported by the soft drink, grocery, and packaging industry which does little more than lobby against the most effective method of recycling beverage containers-bottle bills. Only half of the US has access to the taxpayer financed curbside recycling that the industry touts as the solution to beverage container disposal. The eleven states that have passed bottle bills recycle more soft drink containers than all of the other states combined. Quite frankly, the industry doesn't care what you do with your empty cans or bottles, as long as you don't ask it to assume responsibility for their disposal. This is a textbook example of corporate "greenwashing."

I think the "Have we met before?" slogan would better be applied to refillable containers, but of course we'll never see that happen.

I'd just like to see one concrete example of how the soft drink industry promotes recycling beyond front groups like Keep America Beautiful and the NRC. I certainly agree that recycling is a worthy goal, but a few nice looking Pepsi cans can't obscure the ugly anti-recycling campaigns the soft drink industry has been conducting for decades.

fusion
04-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Greenwashing as it may be, I don't think that anti bottle bill is anti recycling.

Just as I don't expect Proctor and Gamble to pick up my empty Tide bottles, or Ikea to pick up the cardboard from my recent furniture purchases, I don't expect the soda companies to pick up my empty bottles and cans.

Recycling is reusing existing resources and keeping them out of landfills. This is best accomplished by companies who are in the business of recycling and waste managment - not companies involved in the production and distribution of soda.

Bottle bills add unnecessary costs to the end product (soda) and undue burden on the soda companies and retail establishments. The answer is curbside and dropoff recycling, just like with curbside and dropoff trash service.

When I lived in New Jersey, some stores even had can recycling machines, where you would get a voucher for the store and cash back, 50/50. I believe it was 1 in cash, 1 in voucher.

But, I digress. I am of the opinion that everywhere there is a trash can, it would be nice to have a single stream recycling bin as well.

fusion
04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh, and in response to your final comment.

Coca-Cola operates a recycling plant in Spartanburg, SC. And the bottlers are also putting recycling centers in their production facilities.

Pepsiman
04-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Why is it fair that the only items in a supermarket that you pay a deposit on are beer and soda? You eco-maniacs need to get a life.

liquidlunch
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I think it's very easy to criticize Pepsi for launching a recycling program, especially with so many different news sources telling us the BEST ways we SHOULD be recycling. But at the end of the day I think Pepsi should be lauded because the point here is that a) they have recycled 40% of this can and b) the quotes serve as reminders (since we all need one) that you should re-recycle this can too and continue the cycle. That's where having more recycling bins enters the discussion, fusion. You're totally right. I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the report, Ram0n C0keah0lic. Anyone else seen or not seen the new cans?

No Soda
04-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Fusion, I appreciate your feedback, and it's safe to say that we'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of bottle bills. I hasten to add that I certainly understand that they have pose significant -though not unresolvable--issues for bottlers and retailers alike. Still, I feel the industry could play a more positive role in supporting the recycling of its containers. I do hope that the plastic plant Coke is operating in South Carolina is successful.

I certainly agree that so called single stream recycling bins in conjunction with every trash can would be helpful. That does take a commitment by the provider of the bins to support a system to ensure that the stuff collected is actually recycled. I know of a major public transportation provider that has proudly installed "recycling bins" at all of its facilities, yet never bothered to develop a system for getting the cans and bottlers to a recycler. So they simply all end up in the trash, and the effort made by the users of the bins is wasted.

liquidlunch
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Good point, NoSoda. I totally agree and hope the next time I'm buying one of these nifty Pepsi cans, there will actually be a recycling bin nearby to dispose of it! That would be ashame if companies put their effort into it, then we can't even find the appropriate recycling bins.

BTW. Does your name really imply that you stay away from the pop world?

No Soda
04-24-2008, 12:14 PM
BTW. Does your name really imply that you stay away from the pop world?

That's funny. Seriously, though, the name is intended to mock those folks who smoke, drink and engage in otherwise unhealthy behavior, but won't drink soda because it has "too much sugar," or "too much caffeine," or is otherwise "bad for you." Everything in moderation, of course :D.

Oh yes, if a real recycling bin isn't handy, you can always try find a scrap dealer in your area that will buy aluminum cans. Works great for my cat food and juice cans!

liquidlunch
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Hah, I'll have to locate my local scrap dealer for all these pepsi cans that are accumulating.

lordmadone
04-24-2008, 07:15 PM
The so called recycling industry is a sham in itself. Recycling cardboard and plastic bottles have proven to actually cost more money then they save making it very inefficient and as I have said before and reiterate, aluminum cans are the only worthwhile container to recycle and reuse as well as glass bottles. Aluminum being good as they can be melted down without needing any ingredients to make them as strong as they were before they were melted down. Paper and plastic bottles need to have certain things added back to them(I forgot what its called) after they are broken down into their simpler forms to make them almost as good as they were before. You can't say that is efficient recycling!! It is more wasteful then anything!

liquidlunch
05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I think the most important feature of this Pepsi campaign is the reminder that we should be recycling. Those little factoids on the can are supposed to be the stimulus people need, since it says "recycle me! Don't just throw me in the waste basket!" If there's a bigger issue about the process of recycling once it reaches the plants, than I think that's a separate issue.

iowacity
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
The so called recycling industry is a sham in itself. Recycling cardboard and plastic bottles have proven to actually cost more money then they save making it very inefficient and as I have said before and reiterate, aluminum cans are the only worthwhile container to recycle and reuse as well as glass bottles. Aluminum being good as they can be melted down without needing any ingredients to make them as strong as they were before they were melted down. Paper and plastic bottles need to have certain things added back to them(I forgot what its called) after they are broken down into their simpler forms to make them almost as good as they were before. You can't say that is efficient recycling!! It is more wasteful then anything!

The point of recycling isn't necessarily to have the most efficient, cheapest way to get rid of trash. The biggest point of recycling is to keep junk out of landfills.

lordmadone
05-05-2008, 02:50 AM
If it isn't efficient then there is no purpose to it..its a waste of money..landfills aren't that big of a problem..creating a huge recycling industry so people can profit from inefficient means is illogical and is a problem. Problem of it not being efficient enough is your polluting more then your "saving" in the long run..it might seem like it puts a dent in it but it doesn't by much..before the "gains" are lost by having to put more into a product to make it as good as before.

Android
05-05-2008, 06:27 AM
..landfills aren't that big of a problem...

I'm not sure if I agree with that one. Why do we have stories about garbage barges floating around offshore in the northeast looking for a place to unload? And here in the west, our town's landfill is about to shut down because it would be too expensive and intensive to upgrade it to the latest standards, so they are going to truck the garbage elsewhere. Trash rates are going to go up when that happens, and the less having to be hauled the better.

iowacity
05-05-2008, 03:56 PM
If it isn't efficient then there is no purpose to it..its a waste of money..landfills aren't that big of a problem..creating a huge recycling industry so people can profit from inefficient means is illogical and is a problem. Problem of it not being efficient enough is your polluting more then your "saving" in the long run..it might seem like it puts a dent in it but it doesn't by much..before the "gains" are lost by having to put more into a product to make it as good as before.

Why even bother with a landfill? It's more efficient to throw all your trash out the window into your backyard than it is to keep it in a trashcan, and take it to the curb once a week.

francoenergy99
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
It's a cool can, but i'm really not a Pepsi fan, I'm more of a coke fan than anything.

lordmadone
05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Those are just that stories, blown out of proportion. Please watch the penn and teller Bullsh*t episode on recycling to further disseminate that story.

"Why even bother with a landfill? It's more efficient to throw all your trash out the window into your backyard than it is to keep it in a trashcan, and take it to the curb once a week."

Negative. Trash is trash for a reason, allowing it to pile in your backyard would cause more problems including hazards..a designated area for everyone's trash is a lot more efficient and safe.

iowacity
05-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Trash is trash for a reason, allowing it to pile in your backyard would cause more problems including hazards..a designated area for everyone's trash is a lot more efficient and safe.

NIMBY, right?

liquidlunch
05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Ah, well the conversation has diverged a bit from the actual "Have we Met Before" pepsi campaign, but this kind of talk is important. I'm not sure how much pepsi can do as a huge corporation to fix the landfill scenario, but if more beverage companies get their consumers more recycle-minded, it'll at least mobilize this situation.

francoenergy99
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I think if Pepsi's going for new look maybe they should take it back to the old school, I liked the orignal Pepsi Cans!

liquidlunch
05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
have you seen the new ones with the recycling messages on them?

iowacity
05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I think if Pepsi's going for new look maybe they should take it back to the old school, I liked the orignal Pepsi Cans!

I agree. Much better than the current stuff.

Android
05-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Which original cans do you mean?

The first style? .... Or the 2nd style?

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiCone51.jpg - http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiCan60.jpg

Or something newer than that? ;)