PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero replaces Minute Maid Orange Soda...

Popboy
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I was in a local Burger King the other day and after getting a cup with my meal, I walked over to the self-serve fountain, and to my dismay no Minute Orange soda?!? One of the last few fast food restaurant chains that offered MM and it's no longer being offered because of Coke Zero.

Now Don't get me wrong I love Coke Zero, but could'nt BK discontinue that sour MM Lemonade crap instead of MMO? or even Diet Coke, to hell if Women complained! (jk) I stopped by a second and third BK on my way home just to look at the fountain offerings and lo and behold all the same thing... so I guess it's official!

I don't know when McDonald's will jump on the CZ bandwagon but I'd be willing to bet that Fruitopia (Fountain) will be discontinued when CZ finally does arrive, and good riddance as that Strawberry Passion Awareness has overstayed it's welcome...

popologist
04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
yes. it's only a matter of time before CZ conquers McDonalds... :)

mjb1124
04-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Chances are that the orange soda (which I'd bet was actually Fanta, and they just never changed the label) was the slowest seller there, so that's why it was replaced. Just wondering though, is there more than one tap for Coke and/or Diet Coke? If so, then I think the best move would have been to replace one of those. Same goes for McDonald's if/when they get CZ.

popologist
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Chances are that the orange soda (which I'd bet was actually Fanta, and they just never changed the label) was the slowest seller there, so that's why it was replaced. Just wondering though, is there more than one tap for Coke and/or Diet Coke? If so, then I think the best move would have been to replace one of those. Same goes for McDonald's if/when they get CZ.

i agree. kids like orange. they should've just replaced one of the diet coke nozzles... they usually have 2-4.

Mr Zabe
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I agree.
I have always felt that Coca Cola did a poor
job of marketing the Minute Maid brand of soda pops.
IMHO...MM Orange was tasty. I miss it.:(

Popboy
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Come to think of it they did have two Coke tabs at each fountain which is ridiculous since they could have easily replaced one of those with CZ, I was so miffed when I didn't see an MMO tab that I didn't even notice that at first. Also the Minute Maid Orange soda was not Fanta Orange, as i've seen the MMO label on the BIB many times when they had to refill the syrup when it ran dry.

As for it's popularity, because of Toronto's ethnic diversity, and the fact that MMO is not available at Supermarkets (or Convenience stores for that matter), MM Orange was indeed very popular at BK restaurants. I guess the BIB's day's were numbered since the discontinuation of MMO in 355ml cans, and 2Litre bottles more than a decade ago in Toronto, i'm surprised it lasted this long, I always thought it was BK's way to one-up McDonalds with their Non Carbonated Orange drink.

This could be just the one chain I dined in at, or the two I popped into shortly thereafter, but if it is indeed chainwide... RIP MMO BIB

fusion
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Just because there are two taps doesn't mean there are two BIBs or tanks in the back. From my fast food days, I remember the Coke syrup being stored in a big vat, as compared to the other flavors which were in premix tanks.

It's more for the convenience of customers, so they don't have to wait behind other people to get Coke - 2 people can get it at the same time. That's why the buttons are on either end of the fountain.

the saint
04-19-2008, 05:51 AM
(which I'd bet was actually Fanta, and they just never changed the label)

Pepsi still has the PATIO brand in BNB, I am not sure on what all flavors as a whole but I know for a fact that they still produce the strawberry. In the 7-11 here in town PBG has welchs strawberry on tap and when the warehouse runs out they sub in patio strawberry. Patio in bottles and cans has been gone for decades.

Popboy
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Just because there are two taps doesn't mean there are two BIBs or tanks in the back. From my fast food days, I remember the Coke syrup being stored in a big vat, as compared to the other flavors which were in premix tanks.

It's more for the convenience of customers, so they don't have to wait behind other people to get Coke - 2 people can get it at the same time. That's why the buttons are on either end of the fountain.

Very true, my second job back in 89' I worked for Harvey's and we had two Coca-Cola taps hooked up to one BIB, but my very first job at McDonalds (six month's prior) saw otherwise as each Coca Cola tap had their own BIB.