PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Mist Undercover Orange

Tannerman
04-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey guys! I was able to find a bottle of Sierra Mist Undercover Orange today at our local Walgreen's. Sure enough, like we've previously speculated here in the forums (http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/bevboard-general/31658-pepsi-news-amp-expansion-slice-return-3.html#post361404), it's a clear beverage with an orange flavor, similar to the Sprite Remix (http://www.bevreview.com/2005/04/13/review-sprite-remix-aruba-jam/) line.

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_sierramistfreeundercoverorange3.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/04/18/review-sierra-mist-undercover-orange/)

It's also a blatant marketing tie-in for Get Smart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Smart_%28film%29). ("Undercover"... spies... top secret flavor you can't see... get it? :) )

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_sierramistfreeundercoverorange5.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/04/18/review-sierra-mist-undercover-orange/)

Overall, I found it to be pretty good when you consider the fact that it's based on what I consider a inferior lemon lime drink. The orange flavor is subtle, a little sweet. The difference is the tail of the beverage experience and the aftertaste... both are somewhat different. I think this a combination of two things... the flavor of "mandarin orange" vs. standard orange (hinting back at the old Orange Slice (http://www.bevreview.com/2004/11/11/review-orange-slice/)) and the inclusion of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) as the sweetener (which, of course, we're all supposed to hate with a passion, right?)

If you are interested in my full rambling, babbling review with lots of useless information, click here (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/04/18/review-sierra-mist-undercover-orange/)!

Has anyone else been able to track this down yet?

lordmadone
04-18-2008, 08:30 PM
wow..nope..I think my market usually gets things in the middle of others..:(

Tech_Guy
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I saw this at County Market (supermarket) in Punxsutawney, PA today. Both regular and diet were available in 2 liters while the regular was available in 12 packs and 20 oz. I picked up a 20 oz regular today to try. The taste was very light and crisp. The lemon lime is barely noticeable, but give this beverage its slight sweet tang as the background to the light orange flavor. This is not an overpowering orange at all; I don't think it can be considered an orange soda. Overall, not a bad addition to the Sierra Mist profile.

the saint
04-19-2008, 05:45 AM
I have a trade sample in the fridge as I type this. I like orange soda, but I do not care for lemon lime so the drink will be an experience for me.

Dr. dnL
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I found the regular and Free versions driving back to Florida from South Carolina yesterday. Very good subtle orange flavor. I like the Free version better.

francoenergy99
04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
stuff thats frees aways good

lordmadone
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
We had a cookout at our warehouse today..I drank at least 2 20oz of the regular..it was very good. The subtle orange is very well done. I snagged two diets home for my sister and mom.

rollntider
04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
i like it better than the regular sierra mist, they may have found a niche

PepsiBlue
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I had a 20oz bottle of the "free" version (since I only drink diet now), I like it! Better than regular sierra mist!

Dewman1979
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
the diet is terrific!

meetingpeopleiseasy
04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I had the regular yesterday, and it was kinda harsh. Took me a few hours to drink the 20oz bottle. I want to try the diet version.

Mr Zabe
04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I saw fridge packs of regular and diet at Walgreen's.
Funny as they did not have any regular or diet Serra Piss. LOL
You could not pay me to drink SM or the new extension. LOLOLOLOL

greg
04-28-2008, 02:32 PM
A lot of the new "diet" drinks taste better than the regular version. I think the bottlers flavorists are actually getting better at flavoring the diets. They used to just take the regular version and dump the "sugar" to make a diet, now they tweak it a bit more.

el hombre de los moleculos
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
i tried out the regular version last night, and i give it a thumbs up! reminded me of sprite remix, more by look than taste. taste was similar, but it's definitely pushing the mandarin orange flavor. i'll stock up on this one. wonder how long it'll be available?

mjb1124
04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I've tried the regular and diet (er, Free), and both are excellent. It's a nice light and tangy orange flavor that blends well with the lemon-lime.

And Zabe, I think you should give this product a chance. IMO, all three of the SM line extensions so far have been considerably better than the original. They add some much needed zip to the bland SM formula.

Mr Zabe
04-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I will try the new one if I see it.
Just to show I have a open mind or
a high tolerance for pain. LOL

DGibb
05-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Not bad, in my opinion. Nothing great, nor is it that special, but not something to be flamed. There are some recent beverages that were much worse (can anyone say Coke Blak?). I wouldn't necessarily buy a lot more, but I might have it once or twice.

jacksmom
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Mr. Zabe,

Why don't you like Sierra Mist? I actually prefer it to Sprite and 7-Up.

Mr Zabe
05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
JM nice to see ya.:)

I had been drinking 7up for nearly 40 +/- years.
I grew up drinking it, I have many found family memories
of drinking it with my Grand Parents and my with favorite Uncle who
by the way was my soda pop Yoda and mentor. Sadly these
special people are now gone.:(

Both the new 7up and Serria Mist don't taste good IMO.
I can't shake the memories and the taste of the old 7up.
(I do enjoy Sprite witch is on my A List. It's a good replacement but does not
compare to the old 7up.:( )

jacksmom
05-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Mr. Zabe,

I can understand your nostalgia - nothing tastes better to me than a bottle (not can) of Coke (as that's what we had when we were kids, albeit only when we were sick), and I still remember taking them back to the store in large amounts to recycle them. Each to his own, I suppose!

greg
05-01-2008, 01:40 PM

I fell ya on the 7up. Nothing in the lemon lime category comes close to a good ole fashioned 7up.
I remember when I was with PBG I was introduced to diet 7up....still a favorite.

JasonCH18
05-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Nothing cures a tummy ache like 7-UP. While I was working for Cadbury back in August, I had a really bad stomach ache, bought a 2L of 7-Up, the next day it was adios!

Popados
05-05-2008, 12:44 AM
I bought a 20oz from a gas station a few days ago. I put it in the freezer till it started to slush just a littttle bit. It was so refreshing. I hope it stays on the market for at least the summer.

So far Sierra Mist has had some great varities come out, IMO. Except for the Lemon one. It was a bit too sweet for me.

mjb1124
05-05-2008, 01:11 AM
I fell ya on the 7up. Nothing in the lemon lime category comes close to a good ole fashioned 7up.
I remember when I was with PBG I was introduced to diet 7up....still a favorite.

The current formula of Diet 7 Up actually tastes a lot closer to the old 7 Up formula than the current regular version, which is kinda scary.

meetingpeopleiseasy
05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I had SMFUO yesterday and I liked it a lot more than SMUO, so I bought a whole 12 pack.

BluejacketT
05-06-2008, 02:37 AM
I had the regular Sierra Mist Undercover Orange. It was alright. It's not the best orange soda around.

lordmadone
05-06-2008, 12:16 PM
It is not really an "orange soda" though..

meetingpeopleiseasy
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
It is not really an "orange soda" though..
It tastes better than most orange sodas I have had.

mjb1124
05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
It's definitely different from most orange sodas in the US these days. If anything it reminds me a little bit of European Fanta.

iluvsurge220
05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I think this stuff is okay. I do like the orange flavor in it. The only problem I have with it is that once it gets to the point where it's not "just out of the fridge" cold anymore, it just doesn't taste good. No pop tastes good warm, but I'm just saying that this has to be really really cold for me to like it. I couldn't even get through a whole 12-pack. I let my sisters drink the last 3 or 4 cans lol.

rollntider
05-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Get a bubble up, they taste like the old cane sugar 7up to me.

Mr Zabe
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Bubble Up was ok.
I have not seen Bubble in close to 20 years.
The corner neighborhood store I use to work on the
weekends use to sell 69 cent 2 ltrs like crazy.
I would gladly buy it if I could find it locally.

Tannerman
05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I would gladly buy it if I could find it locally.Zabe, it's featured quite often at Cost Plus World Market, which you can find in the 'burbs.

el hombre de los moleculos
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah, i just noticed bubble up at world market this week. i pick up that japanese soda ramune when i'm in there, tastes very close to tropical sprite remix. love that stuff.

francoenergy99
05-14-2008, 01:49 AM
It seems like it has way to much sugar for me though, I wish more sodas would use good sweetners than aspartame and tons of sugar, more sodas houdl use splenda and stop putting like 20grams a sugar in every serving. Also, aspartame isn't the best sweetner, but Id rather have that than 20 grams of sugar to me it sounds better, but all in all I'd rather have splenda over all them.

CareerNetwork
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I recently bought this drink as well and I don't have a complaint about it, it taste great.

jacksmom
05-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Okay, so I've seen several posts about this now and have yet to find it in my area - is this supposed to be released nationwide by now. P.S. - I live in Utah. Any help finding it would be appreciated!

meetingpeopleiseasy
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Okay, so I've seen several posts about this now and have yet to find it in my area - is this supposed to be released nationwide by now. P.S. - I live in Utah. Any help finding it would be appreciated!
You have to leave your house.