PDA

View Full Version : DEWmocracy Reviews!!!

Troy The Vault Drinker
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Well... this is my review of the DEWmocracy flavors

Revolution : Wild Berry : Rating : 5/10

Okay, first off... Its not as bad as everyone says it is, but its probably the worst of the three. It tastes very much like Baja Blast but Baja Blast is still better. The smell will burn your nose if you sniff it too hard. The flavor is okay but not great and doesnt really seem like a mountain dew flavor other than the fact it is similar to Baja Blast. The name is horrible! I could not picture myself saying "Ohhh I just love this Mountain Dew Revolution" Overall,, its okay.. but not the greatest. 5/10

Supernova : Strawberry Melon : Rating : 7/10

Well I must say this sure is a nice flavor, one problem. too sweet. It isnt bad at all, but its way too sweet. The smell is GREAT! The name I dont like so much. But its better than Revolution i guess. It doesnt taste like any other drink ive ever had. Its nice to have a soda with a new flavor. Overall, its pretty good, good smell, good flavor, too sweet. 7/10

Voltage : Raspberry Citrus : Rating : 9/10

This is my favorite flavor of the DEWmocracy flavors. It does taste like something Ive had before and it took quite some time to figure it out but I got it. It tastes like the blue ice sicles, the ones that are in the liquid tubes and you put in the freezer, it tastes like the juice from the blue flavor. The smell is not that great. It definately wins the award for the best design and name of the dewmocracy sodas. It tastes great. This is definately my vote for DEWmocracy. Although, it probably wont win despite votes anyway. Pepsi knows blue drinks fail, so Supernova will probably win. Which isnt a bad thing, Supernova is good. As long as Revolution doesnt win. 9/10

Also.. I tried the Doritos Quest
Eauhh... wont eat them again

Pictures

Supernova
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/troythevaultdrinker/Picture32.jpg
Revolution
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/troythevaultdrinker/Picture34.jpg
Voltage
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/troythevaultdrinker/Picture36.jpg
All 3
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/troythevaultdrinker/Picture37.jpg

iluvsurge220
05-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Everyone who is posting these Dewmocracy reviews is making me jealous!! None of the three have even came out where I live yet, so I still can't try them and I'm starting to get a little impatient!

Mr Zabe
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Sorta reminds me of when Coke Zero and then Vault were rolled out.
Parts of the country were slow to get them. Heck I recall that there
were cans and bottles of each brand on EBay even as new product
was hitting the shelf. Oh the pain of a new brand. LOL

Tannerman
05-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey Troy, thanks for starting up this thread. I'm a fan of centralization... especially as more of these reviews come out.

Anyway, the other day I was on a walk and came upon a bottle of Mountain Dew Supernova (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/22/review-mountain-dew-supernova/) at a Walgreen's here in Chicago. They didn't have the other two flavors yet, unfortunately. In any case, I picked up the bottle, and is my goofy custom, shot some photos of the bottle next to the "beverage tree" :)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewsupernova01.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/22/review-mountain-dew-supernova/)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewsupernova07.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/22/review-mountain-dew-supernova/)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewsupernova02.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/22/review-mountain-dew-supernova/)

Overall, I was very unimpressed.

This is obviously a drink that was driven by a marketing need, not a flavor one. Definitely not worthy to be one of the 3 finalists in the DEWmocracy campaign (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/02/27/commentary-dewmocracy-and-mountain-dews-online-marketing/), because if this is what "the next Mountain Dew" is like, I don't want it.

This tasted like a syrupy, fake-flavor strawberry soda, similar in execution to Fanta Strawberry, Tropicana Twister Strawberry, and Strawberry Crush. It hides behind the brand awareness of Mountain Dew and the inclusion of ginseng, because as a stand-alone product, it's not new or innovative.

Lackluster at best.

(So yeah, I'm not a fan. Full review here (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/22/review-mountain-dew-supernova/) for those wanting to read more babbling )

JasonCH18
05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Voltage is by far the best one. Revolutionis missing something, the taste just goes flat and then Supernova is all syrup no true taste. Voltage actually tastes a lot like the New blue amp.

ScottyLibido
05-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I have the fortune of purchasing these while on vacation in Ohio. They were put in the fridge immediately upon returning to Canada where my gf and I would consume and review them.

Day #1 Wildberry

We both really liked the taste of this one as well as the colour. It had a great berry flavour that was distictive enough to be different than the other Dews out there. It even gave me an opportunity to kinda rub salt into the wounds of my local Coke rep (we just had Fanta Wildberry discontinued here in Canada) as I said to him, "Wow, a wildberry soda that actually doesn't suck" He smiled, I would give it a 8/10

Day #3 Raspberry

We both LOVED this one! It tastes just like the blue Koolaid we love only carbonated. I would definately buy cases of this regularly and add it to my fridge on a regular basis. I will rejoice if this flavour wins. 10/10

Day #4 Strawberry Melon

We were both disappointed in this one the most. Tasted like someone made a coctail of Mountain Dew and cough syrup. The fake strawberry flavour is so awful. The melon(?) flavour does not save this one. Why can't anything strawberry flavoured (other than strawberry ice cream) taste like a STRAWBERRY??? Fake strawberry (second only to fake banana) is by far the worst flavour in the world and adding it to this soda was a disaster. The only thing I did like was the colour. Hell, you could make the raspberry one this colour and it would be cool. The colour is like no other Dew. 3/10

I will definately pick up a 12 pack or 2 on my next trip to the US. Thanks for reading :)

Tons O' Fun
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/4/5/23/f_0523081506m_2c7950d.jpg
http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/4/5/23/f_0523081634m_4c57d34.jpg

Mkay on scale of 1-10:

Voltage is by far the best i rate it a 9. It is a little to sweet it would be ok if the flavor was stronger but it is still great.:D

Supernova is second i rate it a 6. WAY to sweet for my taste. It tastes like a mix of stale code red and Game Fuel but is still better than revolution.)

Revolution is horrific i wanted to chug a bottle of bleach after drinking this i rate it a 0. Take a club soda and add a very small diet blueberry flavor and thats what it tastes like.:(

Tons O' Fun
05-23-2008, 11:28 PM
It double posted but i deleted and sorry for the HUGE images i took the pics with my Env but i didnt realize they would come out this big but atleast its good quality :D.

Soda-MN-Good
05-24-2008, 02:56 AM
If you're really impatient and want to get the new flavors asap. There's a few listings on Ebay selling them.

Supra TT
05-24-2008, 12:47 PM
^^^^^^ your not missing much....no need to be in a rush to try

fusion
05-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Found all three in an indie convenience store here in Delaware today. Produced at plant BE (Baltimore).

lordmadone
05-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Actually you are missing a lot. I sold through three cases(one of each flavor) in a matter of less than a day and people bugging the crap out of me to get more "revolution" in there. To each his own..you shared your distaste for it..dont go overboard.

fusion
05-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Take it easy, it's just a message board, dude.

lordmadone
05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
huh? Its not that serious.

drpep
05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Found stacks of 12 pack cans at a Weis in PA.

Supra TT
05-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Actually you are missing a lot. I sold through three cases(one of each flavor) in a matter of less than a day and people bugging the crap out of me to get more "revolution" in there. To each his own..you shared your distaste for it..dont go overboard.

Soon as you taste them you will realize that you are not missing much....Its just like anything else, when something new comes out of coarse everyone is going to try it, especially if you slap the .99 cent dayglows on them like they did around here.

iluvsurge220
05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Well, I finally found the new Dew's. All three of them at a local c-store on Saturday. First, I tried the Revolution and really enjoyed it. I don't understand why so many of you think it's so bad. It sort of reminded me of pepsi blue which I loved.

I tried Voltage last night and it was ok. It smelled like lemonade when I first opened it. I do like the color, but the overall taste was just average.

I have yet to open the Supernova, and after reading what all of you have said about how bad it tastes, I am reluctant to try it. I don't like strawberry/melon flavored drinks that much anyways. I absolutely love Mello Yello, Cherry Mello Yello, and Mello Yello Afterglow, but I couldn't stand the Melon Mello Yello.

The day after I drank the Revolution, I went out and bought another bottle of it. I am sure that this is my favorite even though I haven't even tried Supernova yet. Revolution will be my choice!!

lordmadone
05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry to break it to you but new tags were not made for these mountain dews and people are assuming they are full price.

mjb1124
05-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, I finally found the new Dew's. All three of them at a local c-store on Saturday. First, I tried the Revolution and really enjoyed it. I don't understand why so many of you think it's so bad. It sort of reminded me of pepsi blue which I loved.

I think Voltage is closer to Pepsi Blue actually. And for me that's not a good thing. But I agree that Revolution is the best.

meetingpeopleiseasy
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I finally found them at a gas station(which is a story in itself) and only drank half a bottle of Supernova so far. It's wayyy too sweet. The aftertaste is super bad, and it's just...I dunno gross. I brought the blue one with me to work today, so I'll drink some of that and post what I think.

jacksmom
05-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Each to his own, I suppose. I have tried all three now, and my rankings are as follows:

First - Supernova - I really enjoyed this one - I thought it had the most distinctive flavor of the three, and I found that it had more of a melon flavor, rather than a strawberry flavor, so my vote goes for this one.

Second - Voltage (probably), although I'll have to drink it again. It may be a bit too tart for my liking, but we'll see.

Third - Revolution. This one had the hardest to define flavor of the three, but I liked it nonetheless.

I always like trying new things and you pretty much get what you pay for. I will say this, though - all three new Mountain Dew flavors seemed to have an overall bitterness to them. Does anyone know if this has something to do with the addition of ginseng? Just curious.

meetingpeopleiseasy
05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Alright I'm drinking Revolution right now, and so far it's alright. I don't know if it won if I would drink it over other sodas. It's better than the atrocity that Supernova is though.

meetingpeopleiseasy
05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Alright I had Voltage last night. It was the least gross of the three. I don't know if I would drink it on a regular basis, but I hope it wins.

iluvsurge220
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
After trying Supernova, I agree with those of you who said it was terrible! I really don't know how I managed to finish the whole 20 oz bottle. Probably because of the fact that I don't like to be wasteful. It was just gross. I will probably never drink it again. My favorite by far is Revolution. I would be ok if Voltage won too. Just as long as Supernova doesn't win, I will be happy.

BluejacketT
05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
I picked up the Mountain Dew Revolution & its alright. Not as good as I thought it would be at first. The aftertaste isn't too good. I rate it a 4/10.

The King
05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I was at Wal*Mart, and I happened to see 12 packs of Supernova and Voltage...didn't see Revolution. Supernova didn't sound good, so I decided to give Voltage a try. I'm drinking one right now (after having a tap A&W...yum), and I must say that I like it. The can and box designs are good, great color scheme. The color of the drink itself is nice change of pace.

I think I made the right choice.

francoenergy99
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
those flavors are awesome!@!!

fusion
05-29-2008, 07:18 PM
So far I've tried Voltage and Revolution. I found Revolution to be too weak tasting. Voltage is far better. I think I'll wait on Supernova, based on the reviews.

iluvsurge220
05-30-2008, 01:18 AM
I was at Wal*Mart, and I happened to see 12 packs of Supernova and Voltage...didn't see Revolution. Supernova didn't sound good, so I decided to give Voltage a try. I'm drinking one right now (after having a tap A&W...yum), and I must say that I like it. The can and box designs are good, great color scheme. The color of the drink itself is nice change of pace.

I think I made the right choice.

I also saw the 12-packs. I have seen them twice actually. Once at the c-store I first bought the 20 oz's at, and once at Kroger. I didn't buy any though because I really don't feel like paying $4.19 for a 12-pack. Pop has gotten so much more expensive in the last year or two. I know that the price of gas is making everything else go up, but that much for pop? I remember two years ago, you could get 12-packs for $2.50 almost on a regular basis. The cost has increased by about 60%. It's rediculous!

Tech_Guy
05-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Of all the three Mountain Dews, I liked Supernova the best. It seemed to be the most different tasting flavor while still keeping the Mountain Dew flavor profile and mouth feel. To me, it tasted like a generic "berry" flavored Mountain Dew as opposed to the Strawberry Melon it is supposed to be, but the berry flavor was just different and sweet enough to make it drinkable and make me wanting more. To me, it almost tasted like chewing Sweet Berry flavored Stride gum and drinking Mountain Dew.

The Voltage almost tasted like the Original Pitch Black only with a lighter and more crisp taste. There was a little tart to it, but when it was cold, the tart wasn't as prominent (at least not to me). While it was okay, I felt like I have drank this Mountain Dew flavor before and it wasn't different enough to make me want it as a full time choice in Mountain Dew flavors.

Revolution was good and quasi unique. To me, it almost tasted like Baja Blast (good thing since that is
my favorite Mountain Dew flavor if not my favorite Pepsi Product overall) but with some tartness. Actually the aftertaste is almost like the hard Sweettarts candy. Again, with the similarity to Baja Blast, I felt like I have had this Mountain Dew before. But it is cool what Pepsi is doing with the Mountain Dew brand after X years of only offering one flavor.

My choices are:

1. SuperNova - very unique and unlike any other Mountain Dew flavor I have tasted; plus, I want more!

2. Revolution - almost unique and almost matches my favorite Mountain Dew flavor Baja Blast; but, I just as easily get Baja Blast from Taco Bell or eat a pack of Sweettarts

3. Voltage - while the Original Pitch Black was good, this flavor is a nice follow up to it. But I have had that flavor before and wants something not so similar

Troy The Vault Drinker
05-30-2008, 04:46 AM
I have yet to see any 12 packs. I want a 12 pack of Voltage so much. Ive been looking everywhere. Wal Mart, Winn Dixie, Albertsons etc.. Even if i find just a 12 pack of revolution,,, im sure ill buy it.

The King
05-31-2008, 04:45 AM
I also saw the 12-packs. I have seen them twice actually. Once at the c-store I first bought the 20 oz's at, and once at Kroger. I didn't buy any though because I really don't feel like paying $4.19 for a 12-pack. Pop has gotten so much more expensive in the last year or two. I know that the price of gas is making everything else go up, but that much for pop? I remember two years ago, you could get 12-packs for $2.50 almost on a regular basis. The cost has increased by about 60%. It's rediculous!

In SoCal, soda deals have been about as steady as they usually are, but we do have lots of competition (four major supermarket chains, Wal*Mart, Target, Smart & Final, etc.). I paid $3 for the 12-pack, which is more than I normally pay (last week I got coke products for $2), but since it was new I decided $3 wasn't too bad of a gamble, espcially since 20oz bottles are usually $1.30-1.50.

BluejacketT
05-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I have Mountain Dew SuperNova here w/ me. It has a little bit of a coughdrop aftertaste to it. The flavor is average to worst at best. This one isn't what I was expecting either. I rate this one a 3/10.

lordmadone
05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Dont be so picky about 4.00 twelve packs. If you find 12 packs at $2.00 or close to it you better snatch it up because that is an amazing deal. Food costs are up..we can't make things at a negative profit. It has to come out of your and my pocket.

BluejacketT
06-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Out of all 3 flavors, Mountain Dew Voltage is the best. I like the raspberry citrus flavor. I give it a 9/10.

iluvsurge220
06-03-2008, 01:30 AM
You know something. Well, first of all I don't like Supernova at all and won't drink it anymore. The more I drink Revolution, which I thought was my favorite, the less I like it. I really didn't care for Voltage that much either. They just seem way too sweet. I was drinking a Revolution this morning, and after about 1/4 of the bottle, it was making me sick because it was so sweet! I think I will try Voltage one more time, but honestly I really don't think I like any of the three flavors. It looks like Baja Blast will continue to be the only Mountain Dew flavor that I drink.

lordmadone
06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
didnt surge have like a sugar cane field worth in one cane?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
06-04-2008, 01:26 AM
didnt surge have like a sugar cane field worth in one cane?
No, according to this can of Surge i have here, it contains 42 Grams of sugars (HFCS). And this can of Mountain dew Revolution i have here contains 46.

iluvsurge220
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Maybe it doesn't have to do with how much sugar is in it. Maybe it's the fact that surge actually had a citrus taste which offset the sweet, where these new mountain dews don't have that. All the flavors are berry or melon and those are sweet to begin with.

I just don't like them period. We all have different taste buds you know. I think that all the new flavors are too sweet. Maybe you like them, but I'm just saying that I don't.

davecfprez
06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
anyone found any in the South Seattle area?

dave

lordmadone
06-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Not making a big deal out of it just arguing tasting opinions. You might very well be right. I like sweet tasting things..I love extra sweet southern style tea(which is why I love the glass bottle liptons!)..but oh well its being crushed in the stores..I wonder how this effects cheaply priced vault in some areas..

iluvsurge220
06-06-2008, 03:55 AM
See, I can't handle that extra sweet tea. I love tea, drink it every day but that stuff is way too sweet for me! Also, the tea they have at McDonalds. I can't drink that stuff either. Not trying to start an argument either. Like I said, it's just a difference in everyone. We all have our likes and dislikes.

lordmadone
06-06-2008, 09:22 PM
see I love that MCds sweet tea :).

Acheron
06-09-2008, 04:19 AM
After a couple weeks of sampling, I've come to a definitive conclusion - Voltage isn't only the best of the three, it just might be my favorite soft drink ever - only Cheerwine and perhaps Dublin Dr. Pepper come close. The first bottle of Supernova was alright, but halfway through the second bottle it was a little too cloying and obnoxious. Revolution was not that good at all. Meanwhile, I enjoy Voltage more with every sip. I think it has the potential to have far more staying power than the other two - I'll probably salivate just as much over Voltage in a decade as I do today, while the others I think would quickly grow tiresome. I've been waiting so long for a readily available blue raspberry soda. I would be shocked if Voltage managed to lose.

I went over to dewmocracy.com and they have an 'electoral map' of results, and the results are unsurprising - Voltage is destroying the other two.

mjb1124
06-09-2008, 04:33 AM
I decided to give Voltage another try since it seems to be the clear majority favorite, and I still don't like it very much. It's just too sweet and too much like every other "blue raspberry" drink I've tasted. It's still Revolution all the way for me.

davecfprez
06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
question:

why the hell did they make a "raspberry" and then a "wild berry" flavors? I think those two are so VERY similar that it was a waste.

why not go in an opposite direction. Wasn't "game fuel" a citrus cherry?

dave

francoenergy99
06-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Yea there aways be around!

Tannerman
06-11-2008, 09:31 PM
My take on Mountain Dew Voltage (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/28/review-mountain-dew-voltage/)... obviously a berry-flavored Mountain Dew, inspired-but-not-exactly-like Pepsi Blue. It has a sweet aftertaste, which is probably where the citrus underpinnings are found.

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewvoltage01.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/28/review-mountain-dew-voltage/)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewvoltage03.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/28/review-mountain-dew-voltage/)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewvoltage02.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/28/review-mountain-dew-voltage/)

As one of the one of 3 finalists in the DEWmocracy campaign, I found much similarity in taste to Amp Energy Elevate. It's decent. Not horrible. Not amazing. It's chemical makeup is pretty much the same as the other "DEWmocracy 3", meaning that it's nothing more than a drink built on cookie-cutter promotion, not by market demand.

The color of this drink can only be described as "nuclear blue"... kinda like the blue dye you use when you are coloring Easter eggs. What, did Pepsi hook up with PAAS or something?

Overall, decent... but not outstanding. Totally better than Supernova. However, I'd take a Pitch Black over this any day :)

(Full review here (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/05/28/review-mountain-dew-voltage/) more pretty pictures of soda bottles next to a tree!)

Tannerman
06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Rounding out what I like to call the "DEWmocracy 3" (sort of like the Oceanic 6 if you watch LOST), we've got Mountain Dew Revolution (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/06/11/review-mountain-dew-revolution/). Can I just say that the choice of a light berry flavor for Revolution and a strong berry flavor for Voltage is quite odd, as the two seem to cannibalize each other. Why two berries? Stupid from a marketing perspective.

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewrevolution01.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/06/11/review-mountain-dew-revolution/)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewrevolution04.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/06/11/review-mountain-dew-revolution/)

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_mountaindewrevolution02.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/06/11/review-mountain-dew-revolution/)

At first I wasn't really a fan of Revolution, totally liking Voltage much better. But after a while, Revolution grew on me. I'm not sure it's better than Voltage, but it felt more... real. Voltage is very over-the-top with the berry/citrus influence, and frankly, tastes quit e processed. Revolution has a milder, weaker berry taste, but that grew on me. I probably find it the most favorable out of the DEWmocracy flavors based solely on its sustainability as a flavor.

It was like someone did a Sierra Mist + Berry mashup and called it Mountain Dew... and I'm not even a huge fan of Sierra Mist. Lighter just seemed to be better in this case.

Overall, it's another blue Dew, not a bold as the berry flavor in Voltage... or heck, even the Slurpee experience of Mountain Dew Blue Shock. It has a mild approach that is somewhat favorable. Not outstanding, but pretty much ideal for the Dew faithful who will blindly buy it.

(Insert customary link to full beverage review (http://www.bevreview.com/2008/06/11/review-mountain-dew-revolution/) so folks will go check it out even though I'm not trying to be a jerk on the BevNet forums and just promote a beverage review I wrote elsewhere ;) )

britguy79
06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I have so far only tasted 2 flavours Supernova and Revolution. My fav is Revolution so far. I did like Revolution but i didn't think it was that nice. I will be trying Voltage later this weekend.
I am based in the UK so we will not get these so i bought them off ebay i got 10 which cost me $80 inc shipping which is mad expensive but so far it has been worth it :o)

Troy The Vault Drinker
05-14-2010, 04:24 AM
I sort of forgot the last DEWmocracy was 2 years ago. Wow, I thought it was only last year

lordmadone
05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
heh..and wow....I came off like a prick... *wonders if if he is still viewed that way* ah well..hot headed rookie sales rep with too much pride :P.

SodaFan16
11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I liked Voltage's taste, it tastes very similiar to something else I tried before but I don't remember what.