PDA

View Full Version : Koolaid lowers the buzz.

Mr Zabe
05-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Kool-Aid won't be as sweet (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/973731,CST-FIN-koolaid28.article)

drpep
05-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I quit buying Kool-Aid when I saw it was no longer made in the USA. Store brand is just as good.

mjb1124
05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Well hey, you could always just mix in more of it.

Mr Zabe
05-29-2008, 01:33 AM
I quit buying Kool-Aid when I saw it was no longer made in the USA. Store brand is just as good. Same here. The store brands are just as good.

iluvsurge220
05-29-2008, 01:47 AM
We never bought the actual Kool-Aid brand that much because it always cost more than the store brand. The off brands were just as good if not better as you all have mentioned, plus they only cost about 10 cents where Kool-Aid cost about 25-30 cents. One of my favorite kool-aid flavors was Kickin Kiwi Lime. Then they quit making it about 7-8 years ago or so. It was pretty disappointing. My new favorite is the green apple flavor. I don't remember what the exact name is, but it's delicious. I don't drink much kool-aid anymore, but when I do, that is the flavor I go for.

Mr Zabe
05-29-2008, 01:52 AM
We never bought the actual Kool-Aid brand that much because it always cost more than the store brand. The off brands were just as good if not better as you all have mentioned, plus they only cost about 10 cents where Kool-Aid cost about 25-30 cents. One of my favorite kool-aid flavors was Kickin Kiwi Lime. Then they quit making it about 7-8 years ago or so. It was pretty disappointing. My new favorite is the green apple flavor. I don't remember what the exact name is, but it's delicious. I don't drink much kool-aid anymore, but when I do, that is the flavor I go for. Just about twice a year I get a Koolaid craving. I buy those 32oz?? containers. I like lemonaid,cherry and grape. Yes, I'm old school. LOL

the saint
05-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Just about twice a year I get a Koolaid craving. I buy those 32oz?? containers. I like lemonaid,cherry and grape. Yes, I'm old school. LOL

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM grape koolaid MMMMMMMMMMMMM I shall have to go to the store because I have a craving for some

greg
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I remember as a kid my mom making up a batch in the summer time and my brother and I would love to taste the sugar crystals in our teeth.

What a treat.

drpep
05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Grape Kool-Aid was one of my favorites. What I found interesting was the Canadian version was better. Slightly different taste a different shade of purple. Now my favorites are Clover Valley Orange and Flavorite Grape.

SPLASTiK
05-30-2008, 01:06 AM
One of my favorite kool-aid flavors was Kickin Kiwi Lime. Then they quit making it about 7-8 years ago or so.

I have a sealed box (72 packets if I recall correctly) of it plus maybe another half box... :D I have tons of old Kool-Aid flavors too like Rock-a-dile Red, Incrediberry, Man-o-mango, Purplesuarus Rex, etc.

I'm a big Kool-Aid nut and have tried most of the store brands and haven't found one that's just as good. I'd just wait for the Kool-Aid to go on sale a stock up, not hard to find them for 10-15 cents a pk.

iluvsurge220
05-30-2008, 01:24 AM
I have a sealed box (72 packets if I recall correctly) of it plus maybe another half box... :D I have tons of old Kool-Aid flavors too like Rock-a-dile Red, Incrediberry, Man-o-mango, Purplesuarus Rex, etc.

I'm a big Kool-Aid nut and have tried most of the store brands and haven't found one that's just as good. I'd just wait for the Kool-Aid to go on sale a stock up, not hard to find them for 10-15 cents a pk.

Wow that is awesome!! I remember the Rock-a-dile Red and the Purplesaurus Rex lol! That's really cool that you still have some of those! Kool-Aid was so great back then. They just have too many different flavors now. Some of them are good, but not most of them.

Making kool-aid was so much fun. When I was younger, I along with my brother and two sisters would go through a pack of the stuff in a day or two. When I woke up in the morning and it was gone, I would always lay out all the packets and do the "eenie-meenie-minnie-mo" game (or whatever it's called) to pick out the next flavor we would make. When I was little, I cheated and skipped the lemon lime and berry flavors because I didn't like them!!

DGibb
05-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Always loved Purplesaurus Rex -- specifically for the name. We used to have a ritual to pick the Kool-Aid flavor in my family. We would take one of each flavor, arrange them all face up in our hand, then throw them in the air. All that landed face down were eliminated. We would continue this game until only one remained. It was a great way to get me and my brother involved in the selection, and we got to play in the kitchen.

I tried to teach my wife this method of choosing, and she told me that, no, we wouldn't be doing that, and, yes, I had to make the Lemon-Lime she wanted.

Spoilsport.

Tech_Guy
05-30-2008, 01:48 AM
It has been a long time since I had the actual brand Kool-Aid, but sometimes when I go for a ready-mix soft drink like that, I go for Wylers (some of the grocery stores here like Comet and County Market really don't have a store brand). My favorite is grape, although I am not sure why sugar content is the issue. Every time I buy Wylers, it is sweetener free and I have to add my own sugar or whatever. I thought Kool-Aid in the little packets was the same.

Another one I have not had in a very long time (I am not sure if it is even made anymore) is Aunt Wick's Root Beer in the white packets.

One thing I should experiment with is trying to make Kool-Aid with seltzer water to make a custom soda pop, sweetened with sugar of course.