PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Expands To Chicago Market

Mr Zabe
06-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Speachless.LOL <said with a mile of a smile>

Sonic to open 4 restaurants in suburbs
By Mike Hughlett | Tribune staff reporter
1:49 PM CDT, June 18, 2008

Sonic Corp. is planning to enter the Chicago area market this year by opening four of its drive-in restaurants in the suburbs, beginning this summer.

The Oklahoma-based restaurant company is known for its car-hop service. It has long been big in warmer climates, but over the past couple of years Sonic has been expanding nationally, including into colder climates.

The first Chicago area Sonics are slated to open this summer in Country Club Hills and Aurora, with a third scheduled to debut in the fall in Algonquin. Plans call for another Sonic to open in Lockport during the winter.

mhughlett@tribune.com

meetingpeopleiseasy
06-19-2008, 10:52 AM
****ing finally

francoenergy99
06-19-2008, 03:04 PM
i want a sonic in philly

Supra TT
06-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I would also like to see one in my area....This a Coke or pepsi account?

the saint
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Coke account. You people really aren't missing anything :D . The food is horrid, I would never go to one if I was one of you people. :D

PepsiBlue
06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
i want a sonic in philly

Someone at work says he heard there is a Sonic coming on street road in bensalem.
I think it wa snear where texas roadhouse is, I dunno, I heard theres a signn, but I dont drive so I wouldnt know.

Soda-MN-Good
06-21-2008, 04:46 AM
They just opened the first Sonic in MN, somewhere in St. Paul, it opened last week and the average wait for food is 30-40 minutes and during rush time up to 3 hours.

They have an officer assigned to direct traffic and the line stretches far out the door.

I will wait for the rush to get over. Just as was the same atmosphere when Krispy Kreme opened. They are all gone now though, that wasn
t very long lived.

I've had Sonic twice, the first was in Des moines, IA and the food was great. The second was in Clearwater, FL and it wasn't so great. guess it all depends on the time of day and where you go. Just as any other restaurant.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2008, 05:05 AM
As for me, I'm still a Sonic virgin. LMAO
I'm more excited about their drinks.
I agree, I always wait a good while to try
the new resturants. I might give in. LOL

PepsiBlue
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
They just opened the first Sonic in MN, somewhere in St. Paul, it opened last week and the average wait for food is 30-40 minutes and during rush time up to 3 hours.

They have an officer assigned to direct traffic and the line stretches far out the door.

I will wait for the rush to get over. Just as was the same atmosphere when Krispy Kreme opened. They are all gone now though, that wasn
t very long lived.

I've had Sonic twice, the first was in Des moines, IA and the food was great. The second was in Clearwater, FL and it wasn't so great. guess it all depends on the time of day and where you go. Just as any other restaurant.

yea like 6 years ago (I believe) a Kirspy Kreme opened up here in NE Philly, last maybe 2 years, went bankrupt. Now its a dunkin donuts.

ithastabeshasta
06-21-2008, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Soda-MN-Good;363202]They just opened the first Sonic in MN, somewhere in St. Paul, it opened last week and the average wait for food is 30-40 minutes and during rush time up to 3 hours.

QUOTE]

The Sonic is on the south side of I94 between White Bear Avenue and Ruth street.

shadowlp06
06-23-2008, 02:47 AM
The ONLY thing good at Sonic is the Happy Hour (Half-Price Drinks/Slushes from 2-4)!!! Took the girlfriend and friends out for drinks and it was less than $4 for 5 of us!!!

The ONLY thing worth waiting for is the Cherry Lime-Ades with double cherry...Route 44 size please:)
(For those Sonic virgins, Route 44 is the 44 oz drink cup:)

The food is pretty bad and pretty pricey!!! $2.99 for 5 Motzarella Sticks, are you kidding me?

Soda-MN-Good
06-25-2008, 03:29 AM
The food is pretty bad and pretty pricey!!! $2.99 for 5 Motzarella Sticks, are you kidding me?

You must not go to many bars or restaurants. Appetizers like Motzies typically run $4-6 and you get maybe 4-6 of them. $2.99 sounds fair to me. If I remember right, cheese stick at IHOP are like $6.99

Mr Zabe
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
You must not go to many bars or restaurants. Appetizers like Motzies typically run $4-6 and you get maybe 4-6 of them. $2.99 sounds fair to me. If I remember right, cheese stick at IHOP are like $6.99 Good point. The local Italian take out restaurants charge around $5 to $6 for mozzarella sticks. $2.99 at least by my parts here in Chicago is a good value.

imawalkingcorpse
08-02-2008, 12:09 PM
There are probably 10 Sonics within reasonable driving distance from me. The burgers are pretty good and they have some decent chicken sandwiches. They also have french toast sticks which are pretty damn good.

billygtexas
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I think its amazing to hear the stories of traffic jams every time a new Sonic opens in the north. I guess people haven't been to a drive-in in years.

I grew up in Oklahoma when Sonic was just a small regional chain. They were loosely franchised back in the 70's and the menus and food quality could vary greatly from town to town. I'd rather see more Sonics pop up than Burger Kings.

Their food is still not the greatest though the menu has grown over the years. BTW try their Frito Chili Wrap - its a Frito Pie in a tortilla.

Mr Zabe
08-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I think its amazing to hear the stories of traffic jams every time a new Sonic opens in the north. I guess people haven't been to a drive-in in years.

I grew up in Oklahoma when Sonic was just a small regional chain. They were loosely franchised back in the 70's and the menus and food quality could vary greatly from town to town. I'd rather see more Sonics pop up than Burger Kings.

Their food is still not the greatest though the menu has grown over the years. BTW try their Frito Chili Wrap - its a Frito Pie in a tortilla. Good point. Drive in restaurants are very rare by my parts.
For sure there are no restaurant chains drive ins that I can thinks of. There are a few excellent
Ma and Pa ones that have a very loyal following.

billygtexas
08-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Good point. Drive in restaurants are very rare by my parts.
For sure there are no restaurant chains drive ins that I can thinks of. There are a few excellent
Ma and Pa ones that have a very loyal following.

I think the Drive-In and carhop novelty is driving people in along with all the commercials on ESPN and other cable channels. And they keep 50's/60's drive in fare like the huge drink menu, limeades, coney dogs and homemade Onion Rings that other chains won't touch. Sonic's Drive-in concept has basically remained the same since they started in the 1950's, though they have a few with dining-in spaces now.

A&W Drive-In's are about the only nationwide competitor Sonic has, but I don't think YUM brands are building new drive-ins anymore. All the new A&W's I've seen are branded with KFC or Long John Silvers or in convenience stores.

Sonic has been building new drive-ins all over the state, even in very small towns. They are almost as ubiquitous as Dairy Queen here. And I've also noticed that many new Sonics here in Texas are being built nearby the local high school, that's gonna bring them new customers too. They have been very aggressive building stores and remodeling old ones, I just hope Sonic doesn't crash and burn like Krispy Kreme and Starbucks have when the novelty wears off, but luckily Sonic doesn't specialize in just one thing.

Here's an old Sonic menu from the 60's. They should have copyrighted the name on that fish sandwich. :)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Old_Sonic_Menu.jpg

fusion
02-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Chick-Fil-A is the next restaurant chain to enter the Chicago market, with a store opening in Aurora this fall.

Chick-fil-A Marks 42 Years of Annual Sales Growth in 2009 (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/chick-fil-a-marks-42-years-of-annual-sales-growth-in-2009,1147725.shtml)

They are also adding a spicy chicken sandwich to the menu.

Mr Zabe
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow.....very cool.
Thanks for the heads up,Fusion.

Mr Zabe
07-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Finally a Sonics has opened about 20 minutes from where I live. (Palatine,IL)

I need your feedback.
Which drink should I try first?
I'm thinking some sort of lemonade ice drink?

fusion
07-20-2010, 12:44 AM
My usual is the cherry limeade. Though last time I had a strawberry limeade, it was good as well.

They're now entering the Maryland market - one is being built about 15-20 minutes from me.

the saint
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Cherry Limeades are always good, my daughter as been getting lime limeades lately she drinks that or ocean water. When it is hot I enjoy a lemon slush or a lemon berry slush. there are 1000's of combos that you can get made so there are almost endless possibilities zabe.

FountainCokeAddict
07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I highly recommend any of the real fruit slushes, like saint said, either lemon or lemon-berry or strawberry are my favs. Just be careful how you drink it, too fast and you suck all the liquid out and your left with a hunk of shaved ice..I usually take the lid off and try to sip up ice around the edges, if you do it right you can finish it all. lol sorry i'm a sonic nut

boodoo
07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I'll take a Route 44 Cherry-Limeade and an order of Cheese Tots!

Mr Zabe
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
I highly recommend any of the real fruit slushes, like saint said, either lemon or lemon-berry or strawberry are my favs. Just be careful how you drink it, too fast and you suck all the liquid out and your left with a hunk of shaved ice..I usually take the lid off and try to sip up ice around the edges, if you do it right you can finish it all. lol sorry i'm a sonic nut Don't be sorry I share your affliction. LOL
Thanks for your pointers. I so agree about making a ice drinks stay liquid longer.

boodoo
07-22-2010, 08:41 AM
.....bbbbbrrrrrrraaaaiiinnnnn....fffrrreeeeeeezzzz eeee.....

StormSurge
07-22-2010, 01:16 PM
We finally have one here in CT, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get near it for months.

Mr Zabe
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
I finally went to Sonics today.
First I want to thank my fellow board members who stuck with
my numerous posts about Sonics and for the good ideas of what to
order. LOL

I had a Real Fruit Strawberry Slushee
Hot Dandy, Knock My Socks Off, Wee Good.....
Let's just say, It was way off the charts GOOD!
The real strawberry pieces, the absolutely perfect frozen
ice crystals....what a wonderful taste. Ice Slushee Perfection :)

I also enjoyed the tater tots. They were not over fried; nice and crispy yet
they had a moist tasty flavorer. A most delicious fried potato snack.

The Sonic burger was ok. It tasted just like a Whopper.

Dewman1979
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
I have yet to eat a hamburger there. I swing by carl's jr before getting a cream slush at Sonic.

SodaFan16
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
I've never been there before, I'll try to go soon.