PDA

View Full Version : Do you stock up?

jacksmom
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Just curious, since the 4th of July is approaching and soft drink sales are hitting the stores again - do any of you find yourself "stocking up" on sodas when the major holidays hit? I find that, especially lately with the prices having jumped so high, that whenever there's a sale I buy as many of the drinks as I can to try and last for a few months! (although they never really last that long)

meetingpeopleiseasy
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I just bought a truck of Fresca!

CitrusCola
07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I stock up when prices are good or whenever I'm in the vicinity of West Jefferson.

Dumas Walker
07-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I stock up whenever I am somewhere that I can get Ski, Double Cola, or Cheerwine, since none of those are sold here. Thank goodness at least Ale-8-One is! ;)

Wally1912
07-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I stocked up today on RC Cola. Shockingly, my local Target had 12 packs on sale for $2.67. No retailer in my area has carried RC in cans in a long time, so this was an unexpected treat.

jacksmom
07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
The only thing better than finding your favorite soda is getting it for a great price!

lordmadone
07-04-2008, 09:52 PM
*nods at Jack*

Seems like the popular consumer trend lately anyway..wait till a really good sale and then stock up! Well now they(stores that is) are using odder and odder pricing methods to deter that heavily..or at least make you spend more.

Mana211
07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I have stocked up twice in the last month on 12 packs of

Coke Zero
Cherry Coke Zero
Sprite Zero
Caffiene Free Diet coke (still waiting for CF coke zero)

Can't stock up on CFDC as much as aspartame has a short shelf life.

Of course I'd buy Dr. Pepper if they had a Zero equivalent or a cane sugar version I didn't have to drive hundreds of miles to get. And no, Diet Dr. Pepper doesn't compare to coke zero. You can't compete without either Ace K or Cane Sugar and Dr. Pepper doesn't use either in the cans I've checked.

Supra TT
07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
*nods at Jack*

Seems like the popular consumer trend lately anyway..wait till a really good sale and then stock up! Well now they(stores that is) are using odder and odder pricing methods to deter that heavily..or at least make you spend more.

At the safeway here, they run buy 2 get 2 free. Regular price is like 5.69...like you said they got you spending more

Mr Zabe
07-05-2008, 06:09 PM
At the safeway here, they run buy 2 get 2 free. Regular price is like 5.69...like you said they got you spending more
The Jewel (Supervalu) has been having a 5 for $10 promotion for Pepsi and Coke fridge packs
alternating each week. Cubes have been selling for $5 to $6. Like I have said before,
the Chicago soda pop market is very competitive.

CHARITYGUY
07-06-2008, 12:47 AM
What do you all do after you stock up? Walk around and ask people if they want to buy some?

I'm just curious. Do you have to buy a supply of product and hope to sell it?

meetingpeopleiseasy
07-06-2008, 01:28 AM
What do you all do after you stock up? Walk around and ask people if they want to buy some?

I'm just curious. Do you have to buy a supply of product and hope to sell it?
After you buy it. Normally you drink it.

Android
07-06-2008, 03:26 AM
I used to really stockpile sodas during mega sales back in the late 80s and early 1990s. They'd have 88 cent 6pack sales and I'd buy cases of it every time.

That ended when I started doing my "Pepsi Runs" to Iowa (and Montana, Missouri and other places) for returnables which I did for about 8 years, during which time I pretty much quit drinking canned soda. Didn't have any choice but to stock up when I did those, hundreds of miles to go to the grocery store and you better stock up! (Even when gas was 1.199 a gallon. Heck it was under a dollar a gallon for a while in the mid 90s. *sigh* )
The picture I recently resurrected as my signature photo after the custom avatars malfunctioned, that was from one of my first such "Pepsi Runs" way back then.

Nowadays, I drink mostly diet sodas with shorter shelf life, so I don't stockpile the way I used to with sugar. Pepsi One with sucralose in it, I did buy a bunch of that, a few days ago with the buy-2-get-3-free 12pk deal at Safeway.

Now, I posted this picture when I dug it up last year, but I took a snapshot of my brother in my bedroom back around 1989 and in the photo, you could see my soda-stack in my closet off to the side, which I cropped to this image:
-Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/1989-Closet.jpg

Dr. Galaga
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I stock up for the same reason that Android did. I go on a glass bottle soda run every summer. I get a little bit for some friends, but most of it is for me (and my parties). With it being packaged in glass, it will last the year and then some.