PDA

View Full Version : Icee vs. Slurpee

drpep
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I thought I saw on TV a few years ago the Icee and Slurpee are the same. The drink is called Slurpee at 7-Eleven and Icee everywhere else. Is this true or did I not hear correctly?

Mr Zabe
08-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I thought I saw on TV a few years ago the Icee and Slurpee are the same. The drink is called Slurpee at 7-Eleven and Icee everywhere else. Is this true or did I not hear correctly? You would be right. Slurpee - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurpee)

doug1885
08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Not in my experience! ICEEs have much more air. Slurpees are denser, and I think, better. They may have a corporate relationship, but the machines are producing radically different product.

-Doug

Dr. Galaga
08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
When I had a Slurpee last year (first one in about 10 years) I thought, "This is the same as an Icee?" I guess I was right.

Ron Swedelson
08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Slurpees and ICEES are definatly not the same. Their syrup concentrate is different, so is the consistancy of the beverage. ICEES are more filled with air to fluff them up. Slurpees are much more dense and I believe have a lower CO2 level.
Think of Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream. Very similar, but you would probably never mix the two up.

the saint
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
If I am not mistaken, aren't slurpees a mixture of concentrate and plain tap water and poured into the machine which freezes the water? Icee on the other hand are concentrate mixed with carbonated water (similar to a fountain machine) pumped into a chamber on a different type of machine and frozen.

drpep
08-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Slurpees are carbonated.