PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi lands Crush?

reset man
08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Anyone hearing Pepsi has or is close to cutting a deal with Dr. Pepper/Snapple to distribute Crush soda?

fusion
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Yup. I saw it in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. PBG is picking it up, not PEP. My guess is they'll have it everywhere except where they already have Sunkist. Twister has always been a weak brand.

drpep
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I wonder if that includes Western NY State? One of the beer vendors in the Elmira/Corning area distributes Cro-pac made Crush now. I'm not sure who has Rochester but it's from Cro-pac. I'm sure Clintons Ditch still produces Crush. Pepsi had Crush here until @15 years ago.

mjb1124
08-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I've always been hoping this would happen. It seems that DPSG (and its predecessors) have mostly been focused on Sunkist in recent years, putting Crush to the side while Pepsi was stuck with weaker brands. So this should work out well for both sides. Crush has been mostly MIA around here in recent years, except for the occasional glass bottles. I look forward to seeing it again.

Wally1912
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I wish Pepsi would strike a simlar deal with DPSG to distribute Hires and deep-six that horrible Mug Root Beer.

Tannerman
08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Here's the article (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/coke/stories/2008/08/21/pepsi_bottling_crush.html) from the AJC

Tannerman
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
It seems that DPSG (and its predecessors) have mostly been focused on Sunkist in recent years, putting Crush to the side while Pepsi was stuck with weaker brands.

Why do you think that is? Do you think it's the caffeine (Sunkist) vs. non-caffeine (Crush) element at play? Or something else?

Wally1912
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Another article in the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121935771233161697.html) has a little bit more detail, if anyone is interested.

Pepsi Bottling to Distribute
Dr Pepper's Crush Sodas
By BETSY MCKAY
August 22, 2008; Page B5

The maker of Orange Crush is squeezing some new life out of an old soda standby.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. Thursday disclosed that Pepsi Bottling Group Inc., the second-largest soft-drink bottler in the U.S., will distribute its Crush sodas in most of the bottler's U.S. markets.

The deal is a coup for Plano, Texas-based Dr Pepper Snapple, spun off from Cadbury PLC earlier this year, and marks a comeback for a well-known brand that faded from store shelves after several bottlers dropped it for other brands.

The new arrangement will make Crush available in about two-thirds of the U.S., still excluding parts of the northern Midwest and northern mountain states. It is sold in less than 40% of the country now, mostly in the Midwest.

PBG will gain a widely recognized brand to take on Coca-Cola Co.'s Fanta, the leading orange soda by volume. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

PBG's move represents a blow for PepsiCo Inc., which stands to lose a large chunk of distribution for its own main orange soda at a time when sales of fruit-flavored drinks are performing better than cola. To accommodate Crush, which PBG will sell in orange, diet orange and grape flavors, PBG in those markets will drop Pepsi's Tropicana Twister soda, which comes in similar flavors.

While Coca-Cola and PepsiCo bottlers sell a few outside brands, they rarely take on a product that competes directly with a Coke or Pepsi drink. PBG distributes more than half of Pepsi's U.S. volume. It distributes Crush in Canada.

Pepsi spokeswoman Nicole Bradley shrugged off the distribution loss. "Of course we would prefer our bottlers to carry our products over anyone else's, but we have no objection to PBG's orange-soda decision," she said. "We're making bigger bets together, going where the growth is," such as enhanced water and energy-drink brands, she said.

PBG spokesman Jeff Dahncke said relations with PepsiCo have "never been stronger."

The market for orange sodas -- which includes fruit flavors such as grape and pineapple -- represents a small portion of U.S. soft-drink volume. They account for a 4.1% share of the market, according to industry publication Beverage Digest.

But fruit-flavored sodas are performing better than Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, or other giant soda brands partly because they are popular among the growing number of Hispanic consumers in the U.S., according to Jim Johnston, Dr. Pepper Snapple's president of sales. "We believe Crush has some unlocked potential," he said.

Sales of orange sodas declined 1.6% by volume in the U.S. in 2007, hurt by consumers shifting to newer drinks such as enhanced waters and energy drinks. But the drop was less steep than the 2.3% drop for the carbonated-soft-drinks industry overall, according to Beverage Digest.
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-AR387A_CRUSH_20080821220837.gif

Tannerman
08-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Nice find, Wally1912. It's interesting to note from the WSJ article the direct mention of Twister's failure.

Dewman1979
08-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Hope this means that grape will be available in 12 packs. We can already get it in bottles.

I also want strawberry. I freakin' love Crush.

Dewman1979
08-30-2008, 04:37 AM
oh...and I hate Trpicana...it is terrible.

lordmadone
09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Yep I seen internal paper work at my plant on the soon to be distributed brands of crush and the demise of Tropicana twister..it sells but not like it probably could. I dont know how much better crush will do for us(PBG).

fusion
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
The press release on Dr Pepper Snapple's website has the distribution beginning in '09, I hope it's sooner than that.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group - News Releases (http://drpeppersnapple.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=61)

popologist
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
oh...and I hate Trpicana...it is terrible.

agreed. it tastes like baby aspirins. it has a chaulky flavor or something.

one of my buddies will be excited about Crush getting wider distribution. he was asking about it a few months ago.

honestly, i don't really even remember what it tastes like. i generally drink (diet) fanta... which tastes like a popscicle to me (not too fruity). sunkist has a bit too much bite for my taste.

Dewman1979
09-04-2008, 06:38 AM
agreed. it tastes like baby aspirins. it has a chaulky flavor or something.

one of my buddies will be excited about Crush getting wider distribution. he was asking about it a few months ago.

honestly, i don't really even remember what it tastes like. i generally drink (diet) fanta... which tastes like a popscicle to me (not too fruity). sunkist has a bit too much bite for my taste.

our local dr. pepper/7-up carries it...but not in diet or grape...which i am excited for.

Only Slice is better than Crush

pepsipimp
09-09-2008, 09:10 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/20arv6d.jpg

We (Pepsi) have been selling Crush now for the last year and it does 10x better than Twister ever did, we started with Orange and Grape and have since added Diet Orange and Strawberry and I am hearing of another extension possibly Cherry?

Dewman1979
09-15-2008, 01:22 AM
http://i38.tinypic.com/20arv6d.jpg

We (Pepsi) have been selling Crush now for the last year and it does 10x better than Twister ever did, we started with Orange and Grape and have since added Diet Orange and Strawberry and I am hearing of another extension possibly Cherry?

yum...i want strawberry and diet and grape....

btw...there is that space wasting package again

drpep
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Will this affect the glass bottle 6 packs in Wal-Mart?

fusion
09-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Probably shouldn't affect it at all, that's a separate contract from bottle/can.

mofizz
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Sounds like PepsiAmericas is joining the party. See below.

UPDATE 1-PepsiAmericas, Dr Pepper in pact for Crush brand | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSBNG36502420080918)

fusion
09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
I wonder if that will mean the end of slice, which was still available in parts of the south last time I heard.

I wonder why PAS would give up HP, though. They seem to do fairly well with it, I even remember cubes of it in some areas.

mjb1124
09-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Guess they had to give up something. I wonder if PBG will still have it around here.

Glad to see a continuing increase in exposure for Crush though.

Dewman1979
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I am just glad we can have crush over that awful "tropicana"

Soda-MN-Good
10-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Will they be selling the other 4 Crush extensions in the future?

Cherry
Pineapple
Tropical Punch
Peach

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
those four extensions are generally produced by independent bottlers of crush, such as intrastate distributors of detroit. I personally have never seen those four ever in an american bottling produced package. now IDI of detroit does produce them in 2L, as well as 16oz glass longneck's. i see those are going farther and farther across the country these days.

bigrich
10-10-2008, 12:03 AM
In Indianapolis Crush comes from Cadbury Schweppes, North Lake, IL. We only have Strawberry, Orange, Grape, & Diet Orange. In the Chicago area CS also distributes Fruit Punch & Pineapple. Will CS give this up to PAS? I sure hope we get all the flavors if PAS takes it. Cherry is my favorite.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
BTW, just yesterday saw here a new diet version of Orange Crush released by Grupo Peņafiel (formerly C-S Mexico): Orange Crush Light, it's Orange Crush sweetened with Splenda... I tried it and it's pretty good...