PDA

View Full Version : Starting your own line of juices - a hypothetical example

rkaye
10-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Ok, let me give a hypothetical example.

Lets say that I was at home one day and I mixed honey with my apple juice and, as a result, it created a great new taste.

I have a few people try it and decide that this can sell.

However, I am still hesitant to shell out tens of thousands of dollars, and would prefer to start as small as possible - trying to get handful of cases on local stores to see a true response.

How would I do this? Is it possible or is the only answer to go witha copacker for mega-bucks?

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.developtioga.com/images/Lemonade.jpg

Soda-MN-Good
10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Classic.... But I agree.

Get a booth at your local state fair. Otherwise stand at intersections and give it away with a flyer to cars passing by.

Drop a thousand bottles with parachutes by airplane with a flyer attach. Just pray the parachute opens. Law suits suck

Dress up as a big apple with a bee attached and hand out your juice.

Stand out....make it unique.

rkaye
10-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I must be really bad at asking questions.

Let me try again.

If I want to start smll - and a drink needs to be pasteurized - how do you do that?

Do you pasteurize yourself in the kitchen?

Or do you HAVE to go for the copacking deal and pay for the minimum run?

I know I can sell teh stuff door to door, at fiars, etc.

But, it doesnt help much if someone takes a bottle, drinks it three days later and gets sick.

Doesnt it need to be pasterurized and how can I do that on a small scale?

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I must be really bad at asking questions.

Let me try again.

If I want to start smll - and a drink needs to be pasteurized - how do you do that?

Do you pasteurize yourself in the kitchen?

Or do you HAVE to go for the copacking deal and pay for the minimum run?

I know I can sell teh stuff door to door, at fiars, etc.

But, it doesnt help much if someone takes a bottle, drinks it three days later and gets sick.

Doesnt it need to be pasterurized and how can I do that on a small scale?
http://galerie.weihenstephan.org/albums/userpics/10010/google-can-you-use-it.jpg

Soda-MN-Good
10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't do it home just because the government would then be able to go into your kitchen and make sure all your equipement is NSF and such.

Public Health Controls

In order to ensure that the process of pasteurization occurs as expected, the government requires that certain public health controls be installed on all dairy product pasteurizers.

Controlled, sealable timing system
Sealable "Safety Thermal Limit Recorder" (STLR) to record temperature and divert under-temperature product
Certified mercury thermometer at end of hold tube for visual check of temperature.
-or-
Digital Reference Thermometer accurate to 0.1 degF with dual, 1000 ohm platinum sensors
Approved Flow Diversion Valves system with dual divert valves and return lines. Postion sensors verify the position of the valves at all times.
Regen system differential pressure switch

USDA Approved equipment for all pumps, valves, & other equipment

Soda-MN-Good
10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I think Meetingpeopleiseasy's comment is more to the point. But I would listen to their comment first.

rkaye
10-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, google led me here.

Isnt this a valid way to do research? To find a site within the niche and ask questions?

Anyway, so I guess the answer is that the only way to get pasteurized products is to use a co-packer and pay for a minimum run?

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, google led me here.

Isnt this a valid way to do research? To find a site within the niche and ask questions?

Anyway, so I guess the answer is that the only way to get pasteurized products is to use a co-packer and pay for a minimum run?
None of us here make juices, sodas, waters or anything. We are just fans of beverages. Plus there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to this sort of thing, you are posting in the wrong place. I don't think anyone here works for Coke, Pepsi, Snapple, etc. Your barking up the wrong tree and doing it in a really annoying fashion. Why don't you go into the forum for this sort of thing and make ONE thread that has all your questions in it.

rkaye
10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
sorry.

I thought that this website was geared toward people in the business.

meetingpeopleiseasy
10-04-2008, 05:46 PM
sorry.

No, bevnet.com is aimed at industry types, but here on this board we are just a bunch of nerds who drink too much(soda).

scum1
10-04-2008, 10:16 PM
There are people here who actually work in the industry they are just not here daily like us losers who are just beverage fans. Give it time and maybe someone with some knowledge will answer your questions.

sorry.