PDA

View Full Version : Amps weak new energy shot

scum1
10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I have not tried one but I saw on the Amp site (http://www.ampenergy.com/) it only contains 80 mg of caffeine? Come on that is less than half of what is in the new Rockstar shot. Maybe they got prilabs to help them formulate it lol. With the segment Amp is going for I think this is a little on the weak side. 80 might be ok for the office and 5 hour energy fans but not for extreme sports and younger people. I did not even see any B vitamins or for that matter any other energy ingredients at all. Any thoughts?

ehinkes
10-20-2008, 04:05 PM
How often will they change the packaging ;)

greg
10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Whats the point???? 80mg? No B12?

scum1
10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
No one got my prilabs joke? Initially I was put off by the low caffeine but when I posted this I checked their site again and looked over ingredients. If they were smart they would of hid the low caffeine in a proprietary blend. O wait there is nothing to even make a blend with. Really I am no industry insider or anything but surely their experts could do better than this. I guess if you sell it for the same price as other shots you can make a good profit from not using any ingredients.

jetset
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Maybe, just maybe, PepsiCo is trying to take the formulation high road and error to the conservative side thinking that here may be a backlash against the huge amounts of caffeine and other ingredients that are currently in this type of product. Having a product that is only 2-3 oz makes it very easy for people to slam several of these in a relatively short period of time making the consumption of 1000mg of caffeine very attainable.

greg
10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Maybe, just maybe, PepsiCo is trying to take the formulation high road and error to the conservative side thinking that here may be a backlash against the huge amounts of caffeine and other ingredients that are currently in this type of product. Having a product that is only 2-3 oz makes it very easy for people to slam several of these in a relatively short period of time making the consumption of 1000mg of caffeine very attainable.

I'm not buying this argument. The cost alone of this segment is what keeps people from buying 3,4-5 and slamming them all.
We are talking energy drinks. Energy drinks are functional beverages...What Pepsico has offered up, if all numbers are accurate, is an ever so minor upgrade in caffeine content of the original Mtn Dew. (+~30mg).
I still believe that substance sells in this category along with taste. Even if this shot tasted exactly like Mtn Dew, but provided just a littel more kick, I don't think it will survive. Like I said earlier, the cost in this segment will surely be its downfall. Even if the cost were $1 then it would die just the same due to the perception of it being cheap and no good.
If Pepsico is going to use the Mtn Dew brand to sell its energy shot it better bring a product that reflects what Mtn Dew demographihcs have come to expect from anything labeled "Mtn Dew".

Ron Swedelson
10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
high in B-vitamins and many other suplimental aids. simply not listed on site.

Mr Zabe
10-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Greg,
Well said!
In my way of thinking (which is slightly demented). LOL
A dog is a dog....not a cat.

jetset
10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Greg- It is really hard to say what PepsiCo's whole plan is on this product and I agree that it won't give the hit that most shot consumers expect considering that it has 1/2 or 1/3 the caffeine of the shots that are on the market today - but since MD has 55mg caffeine per can, it does equal downing ~ 1.5 cans. I did check out the Amp site and was actually blown away at the number of calories in this thing also - they have formulated a product with all sugar for a calorie hit of 40 per 2oz with a whopping 9g of carbohydrates per bottle. I think this alone is going to turn some people away from this product.

scum1
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
They really should list that on their site. They list ingredients like yellow 5 and sodium benzoate and totally leave out the important stuff. Someone really needs to fix that on the website. Still though I think for their market it is on the weak side.

high in B-vitamins and many other suplimental aids. simply not listed on site.

Ron Swedelson
10-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I agree. If they ingrediants are listed, it would be nice to at least highlight its strengths. Although I do believe the brand does have legs. I also belive that the brand is about a year too late. 5 hour energy was obviously the first. But now you have spike and fuze and rockstar and monster, and god knows what else. crowded counter space. AMP has a fairly solid following. Maynot be as big as other brands, but it does have its loyal fans. If this little shooter helps to bring in some more customers, then great. Time will tell.

KingOfDiamonds
10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
the should put dale jr.'s face on the bottle then it'll sell:D

fusion
11-01-2008, 05:13 PM
They are out - I saw them at a 7-11 here in Delaware this evening.

greg
11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree. If they ingrediants are listed, it would be nice to at least highlight its strengths. Although I do believe the brand does have legs. I also belive that the brand is about a year too late. 5 hour energy was obviously the first. But now you have spike and fuze and rockstar and monster, and god knows what else. crowded counter space. AMP has a fairly solid following. Maynot be as big as other brands, but it does have its loyal fans. If this little shooter helps to bring in some more customers, then great. Time will tell.

Damn Ron, I thought we were friends!?!?! What about REDLINE? We are scanning #1 in LA and #2 in Dallas. Furthermore we are running in the top 5 in most other markets!! Can a brotha get some love?

greg
11-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I am in Portland this week doing a crew drive with General Dist. They lost Red Bull and have added REDLINE to thier portfolio.
I was in a c-store yesterday and the owner said the AMP was just not moving and he was surprised. He further stated that customer feedback was it didn't taste good and that it didn't "work" well.

scum1
11-05-2008, 02:35 PM
With so many other shots out there that are stronger why would people chose these. I think amp overdid it with the Nascar bit and so now they are not going to draw customers in on reputation and coolness like Monster does. Without image all you have to go on is ingredients and they skimped on them.

I am in Portland this week doing a crew drive with General Dist. They lost Red Bull and have added REDLINE to thier portfolio.
I was in a c-store yesterday and the owner said the AMP was just not moving and he was surprised. He further stated that customer feedback was it didn't taste good and that it didn't "work" well.

fusion
11-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I finally tried one today, did absolutely nothing for me.

lordmadone
11-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I must agree slightly as well..tried it for the first time..nothing spectacular..but the taste was bearable..unlike the nos shot which was the opposite..I had to hold my nose to drink a second one..ughh.

Ron Swedelson
11-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Greg, sorry about the lack of love. Wont happen again.
It is selling through fairly well here in the Bay Area. Do I personaly like the taste....no. Does it work for me. Yeah. I have not tried other energy shots, so I can not give an honest comparison, nor can I throw a sales pitch with any validity. I can say the few times I downed one, it worked. Didnt get all jittery or antsy (like I do if I drink an 8 oz Spike), but it keeps me up.

scum1
11-16-2008, 07:41 AM
They are all over the place here now. I got one and reviewed it yesterday. was hoping it at least tasted good but I have to say it was one of the worst tasting shots I have ever tried. The kick was below par as well. I'm not sure what AMP was thinking when they released this shot. I don't see a lot of repeat customers.

Pepsi_Man
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Energy shots are down in all markets. We just started selling in Amp Shot two weeks ago in the LA market. Not impressed with the sell through. Most shots are not doing well in sales.

greg
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Energy shots are down in all markets. We just started selling in Amp Shot two weeks ago in the LA market. Not impressed with the sell through. Most shots are not doing well in sales.

Considering how late Pepsi came to the game is probably why Amp is not selling well. Furthermore, if you read some of these posts, flavor and efficacy is a huge reason for repeat sales.
The consumer is getting smarter and knows when he reads the back of the bottle (nutrition panel) whether or not he is getting what he is paying for.

Pepsi_Man
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
True but it's not selling due to the price point as well. 5Hour energy and RockStar are not doing anything big though they came out pretty early. People seem to think that paying that much for something that small isn't worth it. They feel that buying a 16oz with less "KICK" so to speak is a better deal.

Considering how late Pepsi came to the game is probably why Amp is not selling well. Furthermore, if you read some of these posts, flavor and efficacy is a huge reason for repeat sales.
The consumer is getting smarter and knows when he reads the back of the bottle (nutrition panel) whether or not he is getting what he is paying for.

greg
11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
True but it's not selling due to the price point as well. 5Hour energy and RockStar are not doing anything big though they came out pretty early. People seem to think that paying that much for something that small isn't worth it. They feel that buying a 16oz with less "KICK" so to speak is a better deal.

I beg to differ with you on this. All beverages across the board are down and that is a result of the slowing economy. The shot category is still growing, it may not reach 500mm by years end but it is a nice profit center for both manufacturers and retailers.
People don't have a problem paying for something that is a) portable b) in the words of Jeff Klineman, " has a low pee factor" c) convenient d) taste good and e) is effective.

The reason stated here and elswhere for Amps shot doing so poorly is it is said to taste horrible as well as not to be effective.
I said earlier, if Pepsi is going to put a MD moniker, or derivative of MD, on its shot it should bring some serious energy with it.

Pepsi_Man
11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I beg to differ with you on this. All beverages across the board are down and that is a result of the slowing economy. The shot category is still growing, it may not reach 500mm by years end but it is a nice profit center for both manufacturers and retailers.
People don't have a problem paying for something that is a) portable b) in the words of Jeff Klineman, " has a low pee factor" c) convenient d) taste good and e) is effective.

The reason stated here and elswhere for Amps shot doing so poorly is it is said to taste horrible as well as not to be effective.
I said earlier, if Pepsi is going to put a MD moniker, or derivative of MD, on its shot it should bring some serious energy with it.

The biggest push back from stores for selling in Amp Shot is lack of sales in other Energy shot drinks. I can't speak for all areas only my own. I have LA area and sales in CSD are up 10% which is great considering it is a declining category. Tea sales are through the roof. We are talking over 1000% to prior year due to huge 1 liter sales at 99 cents. Energy is my biggest overlap. Dale Jr doesn't do really much to sell Amp in the inner city. Only by the airport does it do good due to tourist.

SumPoosieCat
11-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Slapping on your label and adding it to a crowded C Store check out counter and hoping for sales is a doomed strategy. Energy shots are a fad but a few will survive. As goes the 4 dollar Starbucks...so goes the 4 dollar energy shot.

Pepsi_Man
11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Star Bucks energy and Double shots are huge sellers. I sell way more SB then Amp. Most if not all of my stores have two shelves for SB and only monster has more then us. SB has a huge fan base and brand loyalty. We got out of SB Iced coffee to bring in the SB energy and what a difference. Very happy with the sell through. Shots on the other hand won't be around long.

scum1
11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
SB really makes a good product with their coffee+energy. They not only have brand loyalty but they put in good ingredients for a strong kick. Lets not forget that women love Starbucks. My wife would never drink an energy drink(go figure) but she will drink a starbucks coffee+energy. I also do know a lot of women who drink shots though as well. I think in the long run that shots they provide a good kick and a good taste will last. The lame ones like AMP are doomed though.

Star Bucks energy and Double shots are huge sellers. I sell way more SB then Amp. Most if not all of my stores have two shelves for SB and only monster has more then us. SB has a huge fan base and brand loyalty. We got out of SB Iced coffee to bring in the SB energy and what a difference. Very happy with the sell through. Shots on the other hand won't be around long.

Pepsi_Man
11-22-2008, 02:53 PM
SB really makes a good product with their coffee+energy. They not only have brand loyalty but they put in good ingredients for a strong kick. Lets not forget that women love Starbucks. My wife would never drink an energy drink(go figure) but she will drink a starbucks coffee+energy. I also do know a lot of women who drink shots though as well. I think in the long run that shots they provide a good kick and a good taste will last. The lame ones like AMP are doomed though.

I agree but will never say anything we sell is lame. :D