PDA

View Full Version : Sprite Green

fusion
12-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Bevnet featured this new line extension on their home page - sweeteened with Truvia (stevia) and has 5% real juice, and only 50 calories.

I would post a link, but the home page seems to be misbehaving. I do have one of the picture, though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/sprite_green.jpg

popologist
12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
here's the link:
BevNET.com - Coca-Cola North America Announces 2008 Launch of Sprite Green (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2008/12-17-2008-Sprite_green_truvia_coca-cola.asp)

is truvia the same as stevia?

and will the half-the-calories soda work this time (when it failed with C2)?

also, if truvia has zero calories, then why does sprite green have 50?

Wally1912
12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
here's the link:
BevNET.com - Coca-Cola North America Announces 2008 Launch of Sprite Green (http://www.bevnet.com/news/2008/12-17-2008-Sprite_green_truvia_coca-cola.asp)

is truvia the same as stevia?

and will the half-the-calories soda work this time (when it failed with C2)?

also, if truvia has zero calories, then why does sprite green have 50?

It must be the natural sugars from the 5% lemon juice.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Nice pic! thanks for posting fusion!

I wonder if that Sprite logo will be also the new logo for regular Sprite this 2009... BTW it reminds me the 60's logo...

http://www.pliink.com/mt/marxy/archives/sprite.jpg

fusion
12-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Truvia is the brand name of Coke's stevia sweetener; Pepsi has Purevia which they are going to be putting in some zero calorie Sobe Lifewater flavors.

popologist
12-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Truvia is the brand name of Coke's stevia sweetener; Pepsi has Purevia which they are going to be putting in some zero calorie Sobe Lifewater flavors.

it's interesting that, both, coke and pepsi renamed "stevia". though i don't blame them. stevia doesn't sound very appealing.

truvia is probably slightly better than purevia... but they're kind of similar.

jajajaja
12-19-2008, 08:29 PM
to break it down. stevia is the genus and stevia rebaudiana is the actual plant of the genus from which the sweet compound is found. The compound is called "REB-A" for short. We will have to wait and see what the FDA has cleared for the official name on the ingredients. It may be REB-A, rebiana, stevia, not sure of that yet.
Today it was granted GRAS status and will flood your supermarkets everywhere soon in every ****ing thing they can stuff it in. (don't worry zero calorie vitamin water is coming soon) Your question to why a zero-calorie sweetener-drink would have calories is a very good one.
Quite simply, REB-A tastes like ****. It is disgusting. The process at which it is refined is and the claim that it is "natural" is even more so. So in order to counteract this bitter, nasty aftertaste of REB-A it must be mixed with another sweetener. My guess is that it is Cane Sugar and that is what accounts for the calories. I know they are moving away from HFCS with all REB-A products. well if they have any idea what consumers want, they will never include those two words in the same sentences.
Now the packets of truvia and purevia these guys produce have no-calories, and they taste fine, so why don't they just use those in the soda? Well the adulterant they use in the packets is a sugar alcohol, erythritol, which nicely dissolves in hot beverages but poses quite a large problem dissolving in cold ones. And shiity cane sugar comes calling. This is my guess to account for the calories. the lemon juice in calories, is minimal at best. On top of that you can see both coke and pepsi use "natural flavors" in the packets. now why in the world would you use flavorings for something that is just supposed to taste sweet. once again I can only guess and say to mask the disgusting taste of Reb-A.
Now this is the itty gritty and doubt you will hear this in many places, especially from the mouths of those fuks who think this product will end world obesity and especially from these crooked sly corporate a.ssholes. In fact my prediction, this zero calorie sweetener will further the problem of obesity and heart disease. But no doubt it will be one of the greatest profiters in the history of food.