PDA

View Full Version : importing sample to the USA

scum1
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I have someone who wants to send me 1 can of energy drink for my personal use. Fed Ex won't ship it do to FDA or some such. Any ideas on how to get the drink here. It's coming from New Zealand. I have had stuff(Not sold here) come from out of the country before.

the saint
01-17-2009, 07:58 AM
If fedex wont ship it due to fda reasons, you probably won't get it. Heck fedex ships handguns across the world without problems. There must something in the drink itself that is a banned substance in the US such as B17 or similar.

greg
01-17-2009, 09:16 AM
If fedex wont ship it due to fda reasons, you probably won't get it. Heck fedex ships handguns across the world without problems. There must something in the drink itself that is a banned substance in the US such as B17 or similar.

I doubt that there is anything in an Australian/NZ drink that is banned in the US. The FDA allows so much more in our products than the rest of the World.
The problem is most likely due to the fact that a) it is a liquid and b) FedEx really doesn't know what is in it.

We sell REDLINE all over the World and we have come up with an International version that is safe to sell in over 90% of the countries. However, everytime we try and send a sample to a new country we have to send it through that countries equivalent of the US's FDA. It sometimes takes months for approval.

DudeMan
01-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Fedex won't accept it because they need a FDA Prior Notice of Imports approval. The form can be filled online on the FDA's web site but the sender has to register an account with the FDA. The form did take me half an hour to fill the first time I did it (from Canada). Not the easiest procedure..

We don't bother sending samples to the US by Fedex anymore because of this requirement. We just use regular mail, and it always gets there. Have your supplier send by regular or express mail.

greg
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Fedex won't accept it because they need a FDA Prior Notice of Imports approval. The form can be filled online on the FDA's web site but the sender has to register an account with the FDA. The form did take me half an hour to fill the first time I did it (from Canada). Not the easiest procedure..

We don't bother sending samples to the US by Fedex anymore because of this requirement. We just use regular mail, and it always gets there. Have your supplier send by regular or express mail.

Good advice, for US intracontinental deliveries, but when it commes from a foreign country, especially Australia, it needs to be shipped international courier.

scum1
01-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I did just get a box containing 2 drinks from australia and it was just a box with stamps on it. I'm guessing it was just regular mail. It came through just fine. I'll suggest the guy just send it regular mail and see how that goes.