PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Cokes in US

Gunk
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey, new to board. I have a question, I live in Brooklyn, NY (a borough of NYC for those that don't know). I found a few small Mexican grocery stores that stock Mexican Coke and other sodas from Mexico, even Pepsi. However I noticed that the caps on many of the cokes seem dirty and used. I know that the bottles sometimes get reused and are dirty and scratched a bit as well, but I never heard of caps being reused. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I don't want to drink a Mexican Coke (only Coke I drink) and end up getting sick.

Pixel
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey, new to board. I have a question, I live in Brooklyn, NY (a borough of NYC for those that don't know). I found a few small Mexican grocery stores that stock Mexican Coke and other sodas from Mexico, even Pepsi. However I noticed that the caps on many of the cokes seem dirty and used. I know that the bottles sometimes get reused and are dirty and scratched a bit as well, but I never heard of caps being reused. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I don't want to drink a Mexican Coke (only Coke I drink) and end up getting sick.

The caps look used? What does your gut tell you?
I'm thinking I would find another store.
I don't know about regular Coke, but Mexican Coke Zero is terrible.

BottleBoss
02-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Those caps on mexi cokes look beat up all the time. I have noticed it also. I suppose it it from stacking things on top of the bottles. I never saw one that looked re-used though.

Gunk
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Well I just wanted to know if the caps looking roughed up was normal, how would I know if a cap was reused?

Pixel
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Well I just wanted to know if the caps looking roughed up was normal, how would I know if a cap was reused?

Isn't there isn't a bottom part to the cap ring that disconnects from the main cap and stays on the bottle? If that's intact it should be fine.

Gunk
02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm talking about the glass bottles with the metal caps you need to pop off

Mr Zabe
02-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I beleive BottleBoss gave the correct answer.
The crown top bottles and caps tend to get dirty
as they get shipped. These bottles get stacked in dirty
creates one on top of another. I see your point as the
Mexican soda pop bottles at my local Mexican market are
always dirty, especially the crown caps. :)

Android
02-05-2009, 10:59 PM
No, they don't reuse bottle caps (crowns.) Case-wear, that's not too unusal, where there's scuffing and scratching of the bottlecap. But it should not be creased or indented from having been pried off previously.

Gunk
02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Ok, went to a store and noticed this:

The NO RETORNABLE bottles, I guess are the newer ones they are slimmer. The caps on these look brand new all the time.

The RETORNABLE bottles, the fatter ones with a beat up look to them have the dirty caps.

Gunk
02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Also this whole issue of lead paint on the Mexican Coke bottles...should I worry? Has the lead paint been removed

Android
02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the paint either way. Not unless you or your kids like to like scrape the paint off and eat it.