PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana redesign being pulled

Tannerman
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, that didn't take long.

From The New York Times:
The PepsiCo Americas Beverages division of PepsiCo is bowing to public demand and scrapping the changes made to a flagship product, Tropicana Pure Premium orange juice. Redesigned packaging that was introduced in early January is being discontinued, executives plan to announce on Monday, and the previous version will be brought back in the next month.Full story (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/business/media/23adcol.html?_r=3)

Ooops! :)

Jim.
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Awww...I really liked it.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow!, that's a weird move, considering PepsiCo. already made an advertising campaign with the new Tropicana logo, I saw some of the print ads in some american magazines...

I wonder if that will happen with Gatorade too...

mjb13
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
:mad: That's unfortunate as I really liked the new Tropicana imaging. I thought the new packaging stood out seeing how so many other OJ brands feature oranges and/or orange trees on their packaging. I always thought the straw in the orange image was a bit hokey also.

I've been hearing many negative comments about the new Pepsi and Diet Pepsi imaging. You have to wonder if Pepsico is rethinking that line of imaging as well.

Mr Zabe
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm the odd ball. LOL
I do not like the new design.
IMO...from the shelf perspective, the new design
does not grab my attention (based on visual impulse).
I'm from the old school, if it works then don't change it or
just tweak the design.

Tannerman
02-23-2009, 05:39 PM
The redesign was clean, but it threw away a lot of brand equity, in my opinion. Namely all the time and effort that Tropicana has made to pretty much "own" the idea of a straw into an orange. And I would agree that the redesign did put it into "store brand" categories.

That said, they could have kept some historical elements and integrated that into a new overall look and probably been solid. (Which probably can be said for the Pepsi logo redesign as well. I like the look, minus the ever changing appearance of the Pepsi globe depending on product)

Tannerman
02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
[double post]

Mr Zabe
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Mr T (LOL)
Very well said. You really summed it up good.
I agree with your points 100%.

mjb1124
02-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I have to agree with those who said the new look was dull and made it look like a store brand. Though I did think that making the cap look like an orange was a neat idea.

Of course, it seems like the new looks for Pepsi and Mountain, er, Mtn Dew have been getting a lot more flack. So why not change those back? Then again, they don't seem to be in any rush to get the new looks for some Pepsi variants out (even Caffeine Free still has its old look here), and the new bottles for the Throwbacks are a big step in the right direction. So they may be starting to realize that their attempts at re-imaging their products have been largely unsuccessful.

Swifty
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm curious as to whether or not Tropicana suffered any sales loss with the new packaging (and this is a part of the story we're not getting). Anecdotal evidence (i.e. the handful of people I've struck up a conversation with regarding this topic) have all mentioned that they thought Tropicana had been discontinued, as they didn't recognize the new packaging as belonging to Tropicana.

Mr Zabe
02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm curious as to whether or not Tropicana suffered any sales loss with the new packaging (and this is a part of the story we're not getting). Anecdotal evidence (i.e. the handful of people I've struck up a conversation with regarding this topic) have all mentioned that they thought Tropicana had been discontinued, as they didn't recognize the new packaging as belonging to Tropicana. Your anecdotal evidence is probably correct. It does make you wonder how much R&D Tropicana put into this new make over.

mjb1124
02-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I think it even took a little while for me to recognize it. Undoubtedly it got lost in a sea of similar-looking bargain brand OJ.

PepsiBlue
02-25-2009, 02:03 AM
ha, didn't the same exact thing happen to the tropicana twister juice label!? I remember it changin to a black label with a tornado on it, then a few months later, back to the old one.

No Soda
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with store brand not-from-concentrate OJs..I buy them all the time when Tropicana's not on sale...never found one I didn't like.

Mr Zabe
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Good point. I shop for price most of the time.
I think we were looking at the branding of Tropicana Premium OJ from
a design perspective. Price and relative quality were not addressed. :)

No Soda
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Good point. I shop for price most of the time.
I think we were looking at the branding of Tropicana Premium OJ from
a design perspective. Price and relative quality were not addressed. :)

True. And I think the redesign for Tropicana was ugly too.

Anyone remember Tropic-Ana? :)

mjb1124
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
None of the store/bargain brand OJ's I've tried have measured up for me.

XLS_04
02-27-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm glad Pepsi changed the Tropicana Orange Juice design back. I don't blame the designers that created the current batch of logos. I blame the person or people at PepsiCo that for no good reason decided they needed completely new logos for everything! Some of the logos were not even that old. The designers were only doing what they were hired to do, which was remove ALL brand equity that was assosiated with these PepsiCo products. If these were new brands and this was their first logo design then most public responses would be different.

fusion
02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Coke's juice brands recently passed Pepsi's in market share, but Pepsi denies the graphics change had anything to do with it.

Coke's market share as of October '09 was 23.3%, and Pepsi's was 21.8%.

Marketing: Coke Takes Juice Lead From Pepsi - Advertising Age - News (http://adage.com/article?article_id=141844)

popologist
02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm the odd ball. LOL
I do not like the new design.
IMO...from the shelf perspective, the new design
does not grab my attention (based on visual impulse).
I'm from the old school, if it works then don't change it or
just tweak the design.

I don't like the new design either (although I don't drink orange juice anymore). It looks "generic" and boring. The orange with the straw looks good to me.

popologist
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Coke's juice brands recently passed Pepsi's in market share, but Pepsi denies the graphics change had anything to do with it.

Coke's market share as of October '09 was 23.3%, and Pepsi's was 21.8%.

Marketing: Coke Takes Juice Lead From Pepsi - Advertising Age - News (http://adage.com/article?article_id=141844)

And NOW we know the REAL reason for the change back... lol

Mr Zabe
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
If Tropicana OJ premium went back to 100% Florida Orange Juice, Pepsi
would dominate the premium OJ market.