PDA

View Full Version : I don't like fountain Coke Zero

CaptainCaveUrsine
03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I love can Coke Zero and the Cherry Coke Zero (it's my main diet beverage).

However, I've tried the fountain Coke Zero now a bunch of times...and it just doesn't taste right to me. At first, I thought it was the location I was getting it at, but now I have tried it at a few different restaurants and my impression has been the same.

Honestly, I would rather have a fountain Diet Coke at McDonald's than a fountain Coke Zero (which may be a bit unfair since McDonald's does such a good job with their fountain drinks).

Anyone else disappointed with the fountain formulation of Coke Zero?

popologist
03-08-2009, 12:56 PM
i've never found fountain coke zero yet.

is it possible that vendors are adjusting the syrup to their own personal liking... or, maybe, just being cheap... and not following coca-cola's specs?

fountain soda never tastes as good as the real thing though... for any soda. it's always weaker or more watered down.

Wally1912
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Do you think it may have a different blend of artificial sweeteners than the canned and bottled versions of the drink?
See this article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/03/03/suit_alleges_deceit_in_fountain_diet_cola_drinks/) about a lawsuit regarding the different formulations of Coke and Pepsi's fountain products.

popologist
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
that's probably exactly what it is, wally.

Pixel
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the location and the maintenance schedule for the machine. I've tried all that I can find in my area and I have to say Outback Steakhouse is my favorite. Chick fil A is also pretty good, I've found.

fusion
03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Here's a picture of a Coke Zero BIB label.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/cczbib.jpg

CitrusCola
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I think Pixel is right. I've tried fountain Coke Zero from several Chic-fil-A locations and several Hardee's locations. The Coke Zero was very good in every place except for one Hardee's. The bad Zero had a metallic aftertaste. Maybe it was mislabeled TaB....

drpep
03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
The Coke Zero I used to get at Wendys and the Zero I got at Five Guys last month were much better than the Zero I drink from a can. Don't know why, maybe the temperature or drinking it thru a straw from an ice filled cup.

mjb1124
03-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Coke Zero does seem to be a bit inconsistent in fountains. I have found that Wendy's generally has good Zero... too bad none of the locations around me carry it.

Looking at the ingredients... it's aspartame/ace-K just like the bottled version. Might be a different ratio though.

popologist
03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
so it seems that some restaurants are adjusting the syrup/carbonation ratio.

i remember when i worked at baskin-robbins in college, my boss would add more syrup to the diet coke, because he liked it better that way... and so did most of the customers.

Pixel
03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
You also can't go wrong at the Coke museum in Atlanta or the Coke store in Las Vegas.....obviously....not very practical, though.:)