PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Mist Ruby Splash

Tannerman
03-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Apparently, Pepsi has been previewing Sierra Mist Ruby Splash (http://www.bevreview.com/2009/03/14/coming-soon-sierra-mist-ruby-splash/) at the big SXSW event in Austin.

I found some logos for the beverage on a POS resource site:

http://www.bevreview.com/wp-content/image_sierramistrubysplash_preview1.jpg (http://www.bevreview.com/2009/03/14/coming-soon-sierra-mist-ruby-splash/)

It's described as a "unique flavor combination of lemon, lime and a splash of ruby grapefruit".

I'm assuming this is another summer limited edition along the lines of Undercover Orange, Lemon Squeeze, etc.? Anyone have more information on this drink?

the saint
03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
yes it is an LTO. It should be rolling out anytime within the next month. I have another can in my ice box right now, I just cannot bring myself (or anyone in my family or neighbors or the dog or...) to drink it. As for the flavor, IMO, you could take every horrible flavor of drink Pepsi has ever came up with from blue to crystal to holiday spice along with some battery acid and some drain cleaner and mix them all together and it still wouldn't taste as disgusting as this stuff.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Yup... in fact in usasoda.com (http://www.usasoda.com) there's a pic of the cans:

http://www.usasoda.com/images/pcmistflruby.JPGhttp://www.usasoda.com/images/pcmistflrubyd.JPG

popologist
03-15-2009, 06:14 AM
LOL @ your review.

yes it is an LTO. It should be rolling out anytime within the next month. I have another can in my ice box right now, I just cannot bring myself (or anyone in my family or neighbors or the dog or...) to drink it. As for the flavor, IMO, you could take every horrible flavor of drink Pepsi has ever came up with from blue to crystal to holiday spice along with some battery acid and some drain cleaner and mix them all together and it still wouldn't taste as disgusting as this stuff.

the saint
03-15-2009, 08:43 AM
LOL @ your review.

I may have been a little harsh as I was tired when I wrote my review. I suppose that you could take the drain cleaner out of my review and that would be closer to the actual taste, :D

el hombre de los moleculos
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
i wonder when sierra mist orange is coming out? not a big fan of grapefruit.

Mr Zabe
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I may have been a little harsh as I was tired when I wrote my review. I suppose that you could take the drain cleaner out of my review and that would be closer to the actual taste, :D I would rather drink skank bong water than
SM. Saint, your review was a ok by me. LOL

mjb1124
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't like regular SM much, but I've liked all the flavored versions so far, and this one sounds good to me.

mofizz
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Actually it's a permanent line extension, not an LTO. There is a lot of confusion about that within the Pepsi system. Based on your review however, it may become a summer LTO and Pepsi just doesn't know it yet

Jim.
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I have been a big fan of all the flavor extensions for Sierra Mist. I bet it's good.

ScottyLibido
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Found it at Target in Detroit in 12-packs, 2L (reg and diet) Picked up a 2L of regular to try. It's chilling in the fridge now

lordmadone
03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Just a heads up..it will not be LTO but in fact a PLE(permanent line extension). Our new planogram books have it included in all of our sets..good bye blue green diet allied ...*sniff* ..it use to be so easy.

the saint
03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
We have been told numerous times that the SM is just an LTO. With the way info at PBG gets around sometimes it doesn't surprise me one bit that it is PLE. Just what I need, another stinker to take up space, then again the whole shelf that SM is on in our sets is nothing but an out of date nightmare.

lordmadone
03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Too true..Sierra mist is given too much space for its turn ratio..*sigh* ..cranberry mist needs to be a PLE ..we would probably sell far more if we did that.

mjb1124
03-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Cranberry Splash has been made permanent in my area.

cokebabies
04-01-2009, 02:31 AM
I definitely disagree with the bad review, I am loving this stuff. I'm not much of a plain lemon-lime fan, so I don't drink SM much. But I got a free bottle of this when I bought 5 two-liters, so it was worth a shot (I'm a huge grapefruit fan, so that helps).

It gives you a big grapefruit taste immediately upon sipping, then quickly settles down into a lemon-lime with hint of grapefruit flavor for the rest of the sip.

I wish this wasn't a LTO, as I find this to be miles ahead of Cranberry Splash (which I also like).

Pepsi_Man
04-02-2009, 12:09 AM
It is not a LTO. Look for somewhere in the realm of $13,000,000 in advertising. :eek:

BluejacketT
04-03-2009, 08:09 PM
It sounded good & tried it. It tasted like they put some peels in it or something.

BottleBoss
04-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I tried some over the weekend and it was pretty good. The flavor is not very strong but it isn't terribly weak either. It's good, but not blow me away type good. I may or may not buy more.

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-09-2009, 11:53 AM
It seems like I've issued countless negative reviews of Sierra Mist extensions on this board over the years, and I loathe having to do it again.

Sierra Mist can't get anything right. Garbage-in, Garbage-out, I guess.

Ruby Splash is basically normal SM with an ever-so-slight grapefruit taste. And it's too bad, because there is a dearth of nationally-available grapefruit sodas. Pepsi had the chance to plug a hole in the market, and they failed.

Also, it sucks that seemingly the only way to make a SM extension successful is to make it not taste like SM.

Jim.
04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
This stuff is really good, I had both the diet and regular versions, and I like the diet version better, but they are both excellent. I enjoy the subtle grapefruit flavor under the sierra mist flavors. Good work PepsiCo International Incorporated LLC!!

Tannerman
04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Also, it sucks that seemingly the only way to make a SM extension successful is to make it not taste like SM.

Well, given that Sierra Mist tastes bad by itself (it's no Lemon Lime Slice), that's not necessarily a negative thing :)

Mr Zabe
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, given that Sierra Mist tastes bad by itself (it's no Lemon Lime Slice), that's not necessarily a negative thing :) Mr Tan-Man, you could not have said it any better. LMAO

Tannerman
04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Just to finally clarify if this is LTO or PTE, the press release notes:
Currently available in retail stores nationwide, this marks the first new flavor from Sierra Mist that will be available year round. I got an e-mail from PCNA today confirming this as well.

lordmadone
04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I prefer sprite but sierra mist is NOT garbage..much better than 7up by any means. Also maybe some people could read my post..I cleared up the LTO question very early..I don't work for pbg as a sales rep for nothing now :).

javaroast
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
From the reviews I guess I'll pass on this and stick with regular doses of Squirt and Ruby Red Squirt.

Mr Zabe
04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
From the reviews I guess I'll pass on this and stick with regular doses of Squirt and Ruby Red Squirt.
I would try tasting these beverages bad reviews or not.
We all have unique taste bud pallets. I try to keep
an open mind in tasting new soda pops/new soda pop extensions.

mjb1124
04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Not everyone hates this. I, for one, think it's quite good.

Dewman1979
04-19-2009, 07:49 PM
I love orange Sierra Mist, and will try this when I see it.

FountainCokeAddict
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
drank one sip and spit it out...but I do enjoy squirt.

javaroast
05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I tried it, as Mr Zabe suggests, it was new so I had to ;) It was actually pretty tasty with just a hint of citrus. It's not going to replace my regular Squirt habit, but it is definitely worth trying.

BottleBoss
05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I thought the grapefruit flavored sierra mist was pretty good. I actually bought an entire 12 pack of it. I might even buy it again when I run out.

lordmadone
06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Its been selling very well..and a lot of positive customer comments from people..some are comparing it to fresca..but better.

cokebabies
06-02-2009, 04:59 AM
I don't think this compares with Fresca much at all. Ruby Splash has a strong grapefruit flavor and finishes with lemon-lime on the back end. Ruby's grapefruit flavor is also very different. It actually tastes almost exactly like the grapefruit flavored Hall's vitamin C drop (that's not a bad thing, I love those).