PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke/Pepsi fountain formulas with saccharain

Android
03-19-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm starting a thread regarding this mostly as an FYI, in regards to a recent post that was buried in a different topic, which I was wanting to look up again and had difficulty finding it:

Do you think it may have a different blend of artificial sweeteners than the canned and bottled versions of the drink?
See this article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/03/03/suit_alleges_deceit_in_fountain_diet_cola_drinks/) about a lawsuit regarding the different formulations of Coke and Pepsi's fountain products.

I was reminded of this just a few minutes ago when I was watching a videotape that I had recorded of a TV show in the mid 1980s, which included the commercials when I recorded it. There was a diet Coke advertisement, and the "small print" at the bottom of the screen briefly flashed "100% Nutrasweetę not available at fountain outlets"

I never really paid attention til I saw the recent post though, that this practice of different formulations at the fountain never ended. It makes sense though, given the relatively limited shelflife of aspartame. And the fact that nutrasweet and sodium saccharin are considered "synergetic" in that you can combine them and together they supposedly taste sweeter than they do by themselves. It was a big deal when Pepsi was the first soda company who dropped the combined formula to go 100% NutraSweet back in 1980s, but that was building on the relatively negative reputation saccharin had earned over the previous decade.

Saccharin has been somewhat vindicated in the intervening years as a sweetener, as has Sodium Cylclamates, the sweetener banned in 1969 or so, yet another "synergetic" sweetener, that was combined with saccharin, and is still in use outside the USA. But controversy over artificial sweeteners continues, some even consider HFCS an artificial sweetener, after all the processing it takes to make corn sludge resemble sugar. Splenda has had a lot of equal negative buzz attiributed to it (that the body does absorb some of it as calories, and that it can kill off helpful intenstial bacteria, among other things) and I'm sure acelfame-potassium and Stevia have or will have similar complaints against them.

But I thought I'd put this out in a separate post that fountain diet sodas have different formulas than prepackaged ones have. I very seldom buy fountain soda so I doubt I'd ever be affected but.... other people do buy them and I thought I'd post this as a reminder.

-Andy